This thread was locked on 2020-06-30 16:36:54
Forums > General Industry > What's the deal with Backstage.com?

Photographer

Green Wave Photo 312

Chicago, Illinois, US

I posted a casting for a paid shoot on MM recently (which has of course garnered very little response) and suddenly I'm getting these emails from Backstage.com as if my casting was mirrored on their site. I'm not aware that I've ever signed up on that sight. Also, the email address they are sending to is the primary address listed on my website (which I always include on a casting notice) and not the email address I use with MM.

It would seem that someone from Backstage saw my casting and copy/ pasted it to backstage in an effort to get me to sign up. The funny thing is that judging by the emails I'm getting the responses are way higher than on MM, unless these are fake responses, but they are sending me pics of talent that fit the demographic as well.

I'm just wondering if anyone has experience with this site?

Jun 30 20 11:20 am Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

San Francisco, California, US

I dont recall hearing of that site before, but ive experienced something similar in the past.

A few years back a casting call i put up on MM was duplicated elsewhere. At the time my email address was either in the casting or on my profile. Seems that if theres an alternate method of contact,  someone for whatever reason is 'forwarding' the casting calls.

Jun 30 20 01:59 pm Link

Photographer

Green Wave Photo 312

Chicago, Illinois, US

So I actually went ahead and signed up on the site just out of curiosity using the email address they were using to send me the casting notices. Appears legit. In fact, a woman who would work well for my shoot and responded has already responded to the message I sent her on the platform and we've been emailing outside of the platform now.

Interestingly enough while I'm writing this I received an email from some site called "casting calls america". They aren't referencing my casting, just pitching their database, but obviously someone, or some bot, saw the casting I posted here or the one mirrored on backstage.

I did do some research on backstage before creating an account just in case it was a complete scam. Get's poor reviews but mostly from the talent side complaining about "fake jobs" or jobs that don't pay. I'm thinking both of these sites got my info because in the casting here although I did not list my email, I did list my website.

Jun 30 20 03:14 pm Link