Forums > General Industry > What model would you chose and how?

Model

Rada-mila

Berlin, Berlin, Germany

My question has 3 parts smile
I m mostly talking about hiring a freelance model for nudes, lingerie, fashion

1) And what kind of model are u looking for? Any special look, abilities, characters?
Maybe i can do smth that a photographer needs but don't even think of writing it in my infos.
(Like one photographer recently told me ha was looking for a model with a flowery dress and noone has one. I got several but never thought of listing it anywhere, I didn't know it was of any interest).

What type of a look are often searching for? Is it common "very young, sexy, pretty and a bit childish face" agency model type in most cases? Or ?
(I know the answer can be vague like: everyone is different, but I m looking for a more exact answer - what’s your type?)

2) What do u often miss in the models profiles?
What do u miss on their insta pages? I mean stiff that u need to know to hire the model and do the good quality shoot.
Maybe it s to know more about personality ?
Maybe there should be an album with the wardrobe?
Some info, conditions?
Current polaroids?
She needs to have know the locations....?
Anything u often need to ask about?

Are u actually looking for models and arranging shoot through instagram or only over modeling websites?

3) What problems, misunderstanding with models do u often have?

I m trying to figure out how to present myself in a better way and create better works. And I think photographers are rarely asked these questions, models and photographers community are so separate..

Jul 01 20 05:08 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Hi Rada-mila,
You have a great figure and I would love to work with you if we were closer.

Your profile is quite complete. It's important that you can do your makeup and that you can supply wardrobe. If we were to work together, I would ask you about specific items in your wardrobe.

Personally I'm not interested in your body harness images. Are they a great draw in Germany and other Europe?

I would like to see some clothed images. I would like to see some lace and other boudoir/lingerie images. How about a swimsuit or two? (Swimsuit images should be photographed in appropriate context.)

Jul 01 20 09:09 am Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

Speaking in general terms and not a critique on your look and portfolio...

I'm currently just looking for models on MM.

First thing I notice in a model is the face. Is it an interesting face? Sometime I'm drawn to a perfectly structured face (though "perfectly structured" cn be such a malleable term). Sometimes the less-than-perfect face has some appeal due to energy and personality. Can the model emote? Does she show a range of expressions? Eyes are important. Do they show energy, intelligence, alertness?

Next, the body. I tend to prefer athletic bodies though I've shot some very non-athletic bods to my satisfaction. But a lean, athletic body is my preference. Some of my favorite models were dancers and athletes.

After the look itself, I look at character... at least what I can glean from a profile and from direct communications. Reliability is paramount, and if a photographer friend tells me of a model who flaked, I steer clear. Poor communication is a warning flag that a shoot may be difficult, if it happens at all. Clear, specific, open communication suggests less drama from misunderstandings. I have, a few times, chosen looks and bad communication over the competetion when the chosen look was spectacular, and it's usually made for a miserable shoot.

[By the way, your profile is prime example of good communication. You describe yourself clearly, specify your working style and working requirements. It's well organized, which suggests a well-organized mind. Every indication of a drama-free, professional shoot.]

Depending on the shoot, toughness and a willingness to explore new or unusual looks can be big pluses. Toughness has been a common trait in most of the female athletes I've used as models. They're especially physical, self-aware, and as long as I explained the look, they've been willing to endure awkward and even painful poses.

I never reject a model because she doesn't have the appropriate wardrobe. If a specific piece of clothing is required and the model doesn't have it, I'll do what I can to provide it. It is a plus when the model can bring lots of wardrobe for a test shoot.

When it comes to evaluating a model based on portfolio, opinions vary. Some photographers downgrade a model if there's a single weakness in the portfolio. I'm the opposite, especially if I'm looking at a less-experienced model. A portfolio can have lots of bad shots, but if there's one shot that shows me some potential, I'll consider the model. It doesn't even have to be a great shot. The model just has to show something I can work with.

Jul 01 20 09:56 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

So much of good shots of models depends on the models connection to the camera and Rada-mila  you have that.   What I look for are drama free models.   People who can emote and are fun to shoot.   Being friendly, professional and polite will take you further then just being pretty.   I was looking at a models profile the other day.   A member had done some dull work of her and sure enough almost every shot of her on her profile showed her as unemotional.   Her written profile gave off some unpleasant vibes.   Models like that I try to avoid.   Letting photographers know you have a varied wardrobe and are open to his/her ideas is very good.   People respect a good work ethic.   Being on time and a hard worker is critical.   

Its clear the OP has all of what I've described.

Jul 01 20 12:24 pm Link

Photographer

Red Sky Photography

Germantown, Maryland, US

First I look for an attractive face, then I need to see her figure at least in a swimsuit or lingerie.

Second I need to see her Stats as I style most of my shoots.

Third I need to see what Genres she is comfortable with.

Fourth I like to know if she can do MU.

I never book from FB or IG because I can't tell any of the above except if she is attractive.

The OP's profile is ideal for me and if she were here I would very much like to hire her, and shoot some of her own lingerie designs.

Jul 01 20 02:20 pm Link

Photographer

goofus

Santa Barbara, California, US

first and foremost

someone who might show up for the shoot..beyond that.. not required, but I always look for someone who has a sense of absurd.. someone likely to take the shoot in a odd, weird or threatening direction

as for what I would like to see in a profile: just what the heck they look like...I suppose they are called 'polaroids'.. but you know.. maybe  a simple portrait shot and maybe a simple standing shot..in a bikini or at least not all covered up in high fashion or something.. bikini helps so I can see where the ink is

Jul 02 20 10:24 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I look for either established Fashion Models with a strong look and portfolio , or aspiring fashion Models with the right look . Models who appear to be ok with injecting some Glam into the Fashion

Current Photos ( ie within the last 6 mos ) so there are no surpirses

I dont pay too much attention to what Models write - as long as its not weird , overly political / religious . demanding ( ie photographers must do this to work with me ) or detailing a history of abuse and trauma . I would consider these to be red flags that might either end my interest in shooting with a Model or require some further discussion with Her

I show them a mood  board before the shoot - and we agree on which looks to try

Wardrobe is generally pretty easy to put together as I don't do High Fashion or Complicated Looks

Always a Joy though to work with a Model who can bring some Designer Fashions and Accessories to the shoot

I dont really have too many problems with Models I have shot with ( given the above ) I prefer to pay them a bit of cash and a few edited - and they usually agree to this upfront . Sometimes though they end up wanting more pix

Jul 02 20 11:50 am Link

Photographer

Green Wave Photo 312

Chicago, Illinois, US

For me in general concept/ theme comes before face. After that, on platforms like MM, my perception of their professionalism and reliability based on communication.

So concept, face, reliability. Or sometimes even concept, reliability, face.

Jul 02 20 06:20 pm Link

Model

Rada-mila

Berlin, Berlin, Germany

Mark Salo wrote:
Personally I'm not interested in your body harness images. Are they a great draw in Germany and other Europe?

I would like to see some clothed images. I would like to see some lace and other boudoir/lingerie images. How about a swimsuit or two? (Swimsuit images should be photographed in appropriate context.)

Thank u for your answer smile
I don’t know if harnesses are super popular in europe VS standard lingerie... But I know that most of people who buy it are from US. And in my modeling experience people make pics of me in harness a looot, like almost every shoot.
I guess it s my special thing now. But i d be interested to find other “my things”

Jul 04 20 12:31 pm Link

Model

Rada-mila

Berlin, Berlin, Germany

Thank you for all the answers! It s helpful, probably other models will read it too, if they come to this part of a website
Happy to see more comments.

Jul 04 20 12:42 pm Link

Photographer

GianCarlo Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

What “type” of model depends on what will fit best with whatever idea I have come up with.
So that can vary a lot. But if I’m looking for a pretty woman in general, ideally I would seek 5’ 8” or taller.
Slim, trim, pretty. This is so subjective because it is true that beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. It’s not just
about beauty but who strikes someone as interesting.

What I want to see in a models port (and I keep writing the same thing over and over on this),
Is I want to know what the person actually really looks like. This can be so difficult on MM.
I want to see un-manipulated, un-photoshopped images of the person. Straight on head close up, profile close up, full length standing.
Nothing else matters to me. I don’t want to skim through endless images that are as realistic as a cartoon animation.

Jul 06 20 05:20 pm Link