Forums > Photography Talk > Photo shoots during the pandemic?

Photographer

Just 4 Fun

Glendale, Arizona, US

Curious, what are your thoughts and how many are still doing photo shoots during this time of pandemic? I shoot with a 70-200 that gives me and the model ample social distance space and shooting outside allows great circulation. I have also done some studio shoots in the past 60 days with the same lens or 24- 70 and thorough sanitizing before and after. If you are shooting, what are you doing differently, or are you? If you are not shooting, why and what would have to change to do so?

In the studio, I clean all props, lights and stands. I wipe down anything used by the model and myself. I mask if the model prefers me to. Outdoors, I still wipe down props and equipment but no mask. No judgement if you are or not shooting, I am just curious to see what others are doing.

Jul 02 20 03:59 pm Link

Photographer

Vector One Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

I haven't shot yet in the pandemic but I have a shoot scheduled and I need to schedule one to test a new camera I just got. The already scheduled shoot is indoors so I wear a mask and it's a hotel shoot so hopefully the hotel staff did the cleaning and will when we leave.  The other shoot is outdoors so I'll wear a mask but I'll be five to six feet away from the model, she won't touch anything of mine and I won't touch anything of hers.  Hopefully that will be to her satisfaction. Shooting now is somewhere between scary and a pain in the ass.

TEB-Art Photo wrote:
The trouble with not shooting at all is I'd go nuts.

I can identify and sympathize. Good thing for me that I'm already nuts.

Edit: Did my first pandemic shoot. Mask was uncomfortable since it was outdoors, 95 degrees and humid. Other than that, just another shoot. In two weeks I do the indoor shoot....that should be different

Double Edit: Did the indoor shoot (really two as I had back to back models) and I have two indoor shoots scheduled with models that I have worked with for years.  That hazmat suit I bought on eBay was well worth it.

Jul 05 20 06:55 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I have had no photoshoots during this time.

Jul 05 20 08:04 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

There's no shoot worth dying over . . . . I'll wait till after the vaccine is in common use

KM

Jul 05 20 08:07 pm Link

Photographer

fotopfw

Kerkrade, Limburg, Netherlands

I can finally get into my office again and all my equipment that's there. But no photo shoots, too much hassle. But my workshop clients are also close to me, that how I work. So no workshops either.

Jul 06 20 03:31 am Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

I've done one in 4 Months, outdoors,  thinking about another.

I can trust Myself to be (overly) cautious during these times, I'm not so sure about the Models.

Jul 06 20 03:42 am Link

Photographer

63fotos

Flagstaff, Arizona, US

I've done one indoor(air bnb) shoot since the end of February. I have an indoor shoot scheduled for this week, and an outdoor shoot in a couple of weeks.

Jul 06 20 08:32 am Link

Photographer

Green Wave Photo 312

Chicago, Illinois, US

Ken Marcus Studios wrote:
There's no shoot worth dying over . . . . I'll wait till after the vaccine is in common use

KM

Must be nice to be in a place where you can not work for from 18months to never again.

Everyone is assuming a vaccine is a given. This virus is SARS-Covid2. There was never a vaccine for SARS.

Personally I'm confident that shoots can be done safely and effectively in this environment. Since this is my profession I've been having dialogues with other photographers/ ad agencies/ crew/ and modeling agencies for months now about how to make that so. It's really not rocket science. Mask up. Models remove masks only while shooting. Temperature check for crew and clients on arrival. Be conscious of distance. Corporate headshots should be no problem at all.

In fact nearly EVERY other industry is back to work to some degree now. TV shows and features are shooting again. The catalog houses never stopped.

At some point we all need to get on with things in a safe and effective manner.

Jul 06 20 08:53 am Link

Photographer

rowdan2020

Aiken, South Carolina, US

My Eye Detection Function on my Canon only seems to work if I get within 3 feet of the subject!  Maybe I should get a Sony.

Jul 06 20 12:06 pm Link

Photographer

TEB-Art Photo

Carrboro, North Carolina, US

rowdan2020 wrote:
My Eye Detection Function on my Canon only seems to work if I get within 3 feet of the subject!  Maybe I should get a Sony.

Maybe a different focus mode. "Manual" is always one option.

Jul 06 20 12:43 pm Link

Photographer

TEB-Art Photo

Carrboro, North Carolina, US

I'm shooting with care. I did not shoot at all in March, April, May -- I wanted more info about the virus.

What I am doing:

1) Outdoors: distancing

2) Indoors: lots of open windows, no fans or fans not blowing in any particular direction -- slow ceiling fans, maybe. No one in the studio the night before -- giving any virus present in the room time to die. *I* distance and wear a mask. I give the model a choice of wearing a mask -- I would pay her same either way. Hand sanitizer and wipes available.

These are based on current general guidelines. They make the shoot safer than going into a grocery store these days. Not 100% safe, clearly.

The trouble with not shooting at all is I'd go nuts.

And some models *do* need to maintain an income stream to eat. My model today -- a very experienced, popular  model, said cancellations were really making it hard for her to get by.

Jul 06 20 12:54 pm Link

Photographer

Zave Smith Photography

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Recently came out of my cave and shot this:

https://philly.metro.us/capturing-the-t … -pandemic/

It started as a personal project is getting picked up by local media.

I am planning on a few "test shoots" next week and even got two client requests yesterday.

Jul 07 20 10:42 am Link

Photographer

FMfoto

Los Angeles, California, US

I just shot a wedding on the 4th of July in San Diego.  The church required masks and social distancing. I declined shooting the reception because it would've been at a house with a 100 people and i KNOW that group will NOT be wearing masks.

But here's the new frontier... a few models on MM are doing it, and I've talked with a photographer on MM that already has done it.  VIRTUAL PHOTO SHOOTS.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVT-yu5 … e=youtu.be

Jul 07 20 04:05 pm Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

Not here.

Due to mess dealing with clothes and stores, the bug is a big issue for fashion work.  "You wear it. You own it."  Some will not refund clothing or allow even trying it on.  Some have a hissy fit at the cash register too.  Some have bio-hazard bags nearby for some clothes (Used. Ill fitting. Returns. Etc.).  Some bio-hazard bags are water-soluble when stuff is sent to washing and cleaning.

Jul 07 20 06:03 pm Link

Photographer

rowdan2020

Aiken, South Carolina, US

Another thing I guess you can't do anymore, and is usually recommmended, is show the images in camera to the model during the course of the shoot on the LED screen.  Gives them feedback, reinforcement.  The alternative would be tethering to a computer (CaptureOne?), but I've haven't done that, and prefer not to be tethered.

Jul 08 20 11:05 am Link

Photographer

Angel House Portraits

Orlando, Florida, US

Sad to say I haven't shot since mid February. My avatar is really of my last shoot. I take out my strobes every few months to exercise the capacitors. I am loosing some of my skill knowledge. Sometimes I even think of selling it all off. Then I look at my portfolio and can't believe I done all that work and the process thinking starts again. There is one organizer that still has an event coming up on the 25th but I have to work that day and with the resurgence of covid cases I would had call it out. Like said. What is worth more? A shoot to die for?

Jul 08 20 05:33 pm Link

Photographer

63fotos

Flagstaff, Arizona, US

Angel House Portraits wrote:
I am loosing some of my skill knowledge. Sometimes I even think of selling it all off.

I am thinking the same thing.
I am actually thinking of getting into wildlife videography.
The model I was supposed to shoot with, today, cancelled earlier this week.

Jul 09 20 09:12 am Link

Photographer

3 Leaves Left Imaging

Hoboken, New Jersey, US

I just shot outside the other day with a favorite model who is also a close friend and whom I know leads a careful lifestyle. I wore a mask the whole time and I kept a distance. There is another model that I know that I am scheduled to work with next month but beyond that I will not work with anyone new, especially traveling models and I will not be picking models up and driving to a location until this is all over. I am just resigned to not shooting much for the next year.

It was funny, for the first 5 minutes of the shoot I was really rusty with my new Sony that I had only used a few times before the pandemic. I kept screwing up the auto face detect and shutter release sync. It came back to me though. 

On the bright side I have been saving a lot of money lately.

Jul 11 20 07:17 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

San Francisco, California, US

No shoots for me during pandemic.
Other than making some content with a friend for her 'fans only' type stuff.
Shes someone ive known for years and hang out with anyways so kind of a calculated risk.
Not seeking out shoots or booking anything with people i dont know

FARLEY MAGADIA wrote:
But here's the new frontier... a few models on MM are doing it, and I've talked with a photographer on MM that already has done it.  VIRTUAL PHOTO SHOOTS.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVT-yu5 … e=youtu.be

Credit due for ....innovation?
I can kind of see some use for it but, in my opinion thats the dumbest thing ever.
Application is very specific and all conditions seem very limiting. Maybe good for a few hobbyists.
At that point might as well sit on your couch and put on a movie and take photos of your tv to practice "virtual street photography".

Yes, ive shot tethered before so i understand the software / controls etc.

Jul 13 20 07:39 am Link

Photographer

Frank Lewis Photography

Winter Park, Florida, US

My avatar is the last shoot I did on July 5. I was the model and my wife was the shooter.

Jul 13 20 09:44 am Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

FARLEY MAGADIA wrote:

Paolo D Photography wrote:
Credit due for ....innovation?
I can kind of see some use for it but, in my opinion thats the dumbest thing ever.

I can't disagree.

The point of a 'virtual shoot' being?

Models on the cutting edge today are self sufficient in their Selfie game and with their personal webcams, they have no need for a second set of helping eyes.

Look to any of the online clothing retailers whose market is the age group of 16 - 30 yrs old +/- or Instagram for that matter to see where the trend has headed. Social distancing an amplifier.

Photographers performing virtual shoots are simply attempting to elbow their way in to an already established protocol. imo

Jul 14 20 04:05 am Link

Photographer

Yani S

Los Angeles, California, US

Pandemic!?! Every Year there is a Pandemic. The Flu is a Pandemic. It is spread World Wide.
Pandemic just means spread over a large area.
There are people shooting. Still seeing a lot of post of photos. Not an issue.

Jul 14 20 10:01 am Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

San Francisco, California, US

Yani S wrote:
Pandemic!?! Every Year there is a Pandemic. The Flu is a Pandemic. It is spread World Wide.
Pandemic just means spread over a large area.
There are people shooting. Still seeing a lot of post of photos. Not an issue.

Don't be a dumbass. There is an issue. Unlike the flu pandemic, this covid shit has health officer orders attached to it. Where ever people are, just follow your local rules otherwise this thing will never go away and only make it worse on ourselves.

A health officer is a medical doctor and public health expert who is given legal authority to make certain ordinances for their jurisdiction in the event there is an immediate threat to the public’s health or safety. These ordinances are called health officer orders and are enforceable by law.

Jul 14 20 05:48 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Fryd

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Green Wave Photo 312 wrote:
Everyone is assuming a vaccine is a given. This virus is SARS-Covid2. There was never a vaccine for SARS.

I have personally spoken to researchers who have been working on SARS-Covid2 since January.  While there are no guarantees, they think it is very likely that a safe and effective vaccine will be developed for Covid-19.   They see the beginning of 2021 as a very plausible time frame for a vaccine to be available.

There are a number of vaccines already in human testing (and are being produced).  Should they prove to be safe and effective, we will already have a stockpile of doses waiting to distribute.

...In fact nearly EVERY other industry is back to work to some degree now. TV shows and features are shooting again. The catalog houses never stopped.

My associates in Hollywood are telling me that TV and movie production is still mostly shut down.  There is very little work currently available in production.

Some shows that are in production are trying to do daily testing.  This is challenging as they don't get results back until the following day.

...At some point we all need to get on with things in a safe and effective manner.

My sources who are researching the virus tell me that if you get, and recover, from Covid-19, you are unlikely to get it again anytime soon.   If you do get it again, it is likely to be a milder case.

This suggests that once enough people have been vaccinated and/or have recovered, from a medical perspective we should be able to get back to pre-pandemic life.

Of course, the economy will be in a different place, and people's habits may have changed.

Jul 23 20 07:31 am Link

Photographer

Jorge Kreimer

San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico

Ken Marcus Studios wrote:

KM

I agree with Ken.
California surpassed New York in Covid cases.
A friend of mine survived it. He now has PTSD and looks 10 years older.
My accountant was in the hospital with Covid. He texted me saying it was absolutely no joke.
The ex-girlfriend of a close friend died from it.

Not worth the risk, as much as I miss shooting.
In the meantime, I've taken up painting.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/2506354/586218

Jul 23 20 08:30 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

Nothing scheduled, on haitus.

Recording an album of my songs instead.

I still take photos - of stuff I am selling online. Not particularly interesting, so it goes.

Jul 23 20 12:34 pm Link

Photographer

63fotos

Flagstaff, Arizona, US

I know someone who works as a MUAH in the film industry.
She is still out of work.

Jul 23 20 02:08 pm Link

Photographer

63fotos

Flagstaff, Arizona, US

I know someone who works as a MUAH in the film industry.
She is still out of work.

Jul 23 20 02:08 pm Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

As we're now in pretty good shape here in Vancouver ("Hollywood North"), a fairly large portion of the movies and TV series have resumed production.  One of the local websites lists 30 productions, out of 39, as having resumed filming, according to this week's numbers.

Obviously, things are being done differently.  Two weeks quarantine for those coming in from other countries (we have heavy Hollywood to Vancouver industry cross traffic), the sets are being "depopulated" to people that have to be there, there are far more precautions on set, and some medical checks are done on everyone that arrives on set each day.  Once they pass their daily screening, they are then given a color coded wristband. 

So everyone that is required on set for the day is identifiable by the current day's wristband color, indicating that they have been checked for that day and are also required to be on set that day.

But like everything else in Vancouver, that does not mean a "return to normal", whether on set or anywhere else.  Despite our current BC COVID-19 numbers (16 hospitalized in BC, including 3 in ICU), people are still being cautious generally.  I notice that when I'm in a large store, people still give each other space, and I'd estimate about 85% to 90% are still wearing masks.  And we also realize that we're going to get hit again, at some point...

Jul 23 20 10:50 pm Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

P.S.  I don't want to leave the impression that everything is simply wonderful here in Vancouver...

Our biggest current threat is 20 to 29 year olds that are determined to resume summertime partying (although the nightclubs are closed).  They are our biggest block of new cases, and our current largest threat to what we've achieved, by far...

Jul 24 20 02:42 pm Link

Photographer

Christina Fullmer

Santa Rosa, California, US

I don't do any indoor shoots but I am also in the Bay Area in California. I focus on the outdoors with lots of space. I also am an MUA but I tell the models I can't fix hair or makeup because I need to maintain a six feet minimum distance. I am also only shooting models that I know personally or are friends of good friends that I trust. Can't risk working with random strangers at the moment.

Jul 24 20 08:47 pm Link

Photographer

Zave Smith Photography

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Most of this was shot last week:  https://zavesmith.com/Back-Together/1

Jul 27 20 10:54 am Link

Photographer

Michael Fryd

Miami Beach, Florida, US

How do people feel about having shoots if you have had Covid and have recovered?

The theory is that (at least for a few months) you can't get Covid again, and you are not contagious.   Furthermore, if you do get Covid again at some point in the future, it will be a milder case.

Jul 27 20 11:36 am Link

Photographer

Jorge Kreimer

San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico

Michael Fryd wrote:
The theory is that (at least for a few months) you can't get Covid again, and you are not contagious.   Furthermore, if you do get Covid again at some point in the future, it will be a milder case.

I don't think that's the most current theory at this time.

The truth is that they really don't know enough about the virus yet. Covid has proven to be quite unpredictable.

Jul 27 20 02:34 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Fryd

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Jorge Kreimer wrote:

I don't think that's the most current theory at this time.

The truth is that they really don't know enough about the virus yet. Covid has proven to be quite unpredictable.

While we don't yet have the evidence that surviving Covid provides a level of immunity, that is the current theory.

In fact, that's the theory behind the various vaccines being developed.  The vaccines generally work by having the body develop antibodies, as if it had been infected.  The idea is that those antibodies prevent future infection.

We don't know how long that protection lasts.  It may only be a year or so.  If that's true, then the vaccine may require periodic booster shots.

But you are correct that currently these are unproven theories.  However, given our experiences with other viruses, this does seem to be the most likely scenario.

Disclaimer:  I am not an expert on viruses, nor an expert on Covid.  However, I have personally spoken to researchers who have been studying the virus since January, and are some of our best experts.   The above is what they have told me.

Jul 27 20 05:44 pm Link

Photographer

Vector One Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Michael Fryd wrote:
While we don't yet have the evidence that surviving Covid provides a level of immunity, that is the current theory.

In fact, that's the theory behind the various vaccines being developed.  The vaccines generally work by having the body develop antibodies, as if it had been infected.  The idea is that those antibodies prevent future infection.

But you are correct that currently these are unproven theories.  However, given our experiences with other viruses, this does seem to be the most likely scenario.

I just read that they have discovered that the immunity developed after infection is much shorter than expected. They based their first response on traditionally viruses' effect on the body. This virus is mutating and it's possible a vaccine will only be effective on certain of the mutations.

The problem is they are finding this virus isn't reacting like previous viruses.  Hopefully they will get a handle on it quickly but probably not quick enough.

Jul 27 20 06:29 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Fryd

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Vector One Photography wrote:

I just read that they have discovered that the immunity developed after infection is much shorter than expected. They based their first response on traditionally viruses' effect on the body. This virus is mutating and it's possible a vaccine will only be effective on certain of the mutations.

The problem is they are finding this virus isn't reacting like previous viruses.  Hopefully they will get a handle on it quickly but probably not quick enough.

Antibodies recognize the exterior of the virus; those notorious spikes.

If the virus mutates in a way that doesn’t affect the spikes, the antibodies will still recognize and attack the virus.

If the virus mutates in a way that does affect the spikes, the virus likely won’t be as dangerous. It is the spikes that allow make the virus so good attacking us. 

Of course, none of this is certain.  We don’t yet have confirmation of any of this.  However it does look like getting the body to generate antibodies is our best strategy.  That is the basic idea behind the vaccines under development.

Don’t get me wrong.  This virus needs to be taken seriously. It is very contagious, and seems to have about a 1% mortality rate.  Left unchecked, it could easily infect 1/3 of the USA resulting in over a million dead Americans.

The real question is whether those who have survived the virus are in a position where they have some immunity. It would be good for the country if we could get a few more people safely back to work.

Jul 27 20 07:18 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Fryd

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Photographer

Michael Fryd

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

Michael Fryd wrote:

Antibodies recognize the exterior of the virus; those notorious spikes.

If the virus mutates in a way that doesn’t affect the spikes, the antibodies will still recognize and attack the virus.

If the virus mutates in a way that does affect the spikes, the virus likely won’t be as dangerous. It is the spikes that allow make the virus so good attacking us. 

Of course, none of this is certain.  We don’t yet have confirmation of any of this.  However it does look like getting the body to generate antibodies is our best strategy.  That is the basic idea behind the vaccines under development.

Don’t get me wrong.  This virus needs to be taken seriously. It is very contagious, and seems to have about a 1% mortality rate.  Left unchecked, it could easily infect 1/3 of the USA resulting in over a million dead Americans.

The real question is whether those who have survived the virus are in a position where they have some immunity. It would be good for the country if we could get a few more people safely back to work.

You may find this thread interesting. https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/979529

Jul 27 20 10:02 pm Link