Forums > General Industry > Miami Beach and shooting topless/nude

Photographer

Select Model Studios

Tempe, Arizona, US

I'm going to be in Miami here in a few months. This will be my 4th trip there to shoot and I've never done a nude beach shoot. Something I've always wanted to do. From what I have gathered, topless sun bating is basically allowed anywhere. However I don't know if the same rule applies to topless photos. I know full nudity isn't allowed. So any suggestions on where to go?

I found a nude beach about 24 mins away from where I'll be staying. However I am not sure how the people there would feel about me and a small crew walking around talking photos. Probably be a little bit uncomfortable with it. So if anyone have any little hidden gems?

Sorry, not sure where to post this question.

Mar 22 21 10:54 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Maryborough, Queensland, Australia

What you may first need to find out about for those specific Miami locations where you and your small crew intend to carry out photoshoots ...

https://www.miamibeachfl.gov/wp-content … ised-2.pdf

Mar 22 21 11:42 pm Link

Photographer

Select Model Studios

Tempe, Arizona, US

Camera Buff wrote:
What you may first need to find out about for those specific Miami locations where you and your small crew intend to carry out photoshoots ...

https://www.miamibeachfl.gov/wp-content … ised-2.pdf

We have a permit to shoot on Miami Beach. The nude beach from my understanding is public property. with a Miami Beach address So the permit should cover it. But since it's a nude beach, the rules might be a little bit different.

Mar 23 21 12:01 am Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Maryborough, Queensland, Australia

Select Model Studios wrote:
We have a permit to shoot on Miami Beach. The nude beach from my understanding is public property. with a Miami Beach address So the permit should cover it. But since it's a nude beach, the rules might be a little bit different.

I do like many of the pictures in your portfolio, so I hope it all goes well for you in Miami.

Mar 23 21 02:04 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

If you are walking around taking photos, you will definitely make people uncomfortable.  If you are working with a model and can isolate yourself, no one will care much.   But you might draw a crowd to you. 

I was doing a shoot well away from the group of people and a guy walked down the beach.  I had to continue to alter my shooting position to keep him out of the frame, to the point of switching to the other side of the model. He walked right through the middle of the shoot and told me that I had better not be taking his picture.  Have had other instances where people (men) come a significant distance and watch the shoot.  One kept walking up behind me.  The model was aware of this.  I wasn't.  He also kept putting his hand on his genitals.  The model was aware of this.  I wasn't.  One of the other members of the audience chided him.  During a break, he came over to me and wanted me to take his photo.  The model and I moved.  She was surprised we never got to the point of doing a nude shoot.  Just topless.  I wasn't going to give these guys the pleasure of seeing her nude and the images I needed were topless only.

If you are decent, you won't bother anyone.  Expect to be bothered.

Mar 23 21 04:43 am Link

Photographer

Znude!

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

I’ve shot on Haulover Beach which if I remember correctly is a state park. I photographed two nude models and nobody bothered us at all. I never swung my camera towards anyone else and had picked a spot close to the water with no one under foot. That was over a decade ago though and it may be more of a party area now than the laid back hippie thing it used to be.

Mar 23 21 07:50 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Znude! wrote:
I’ve shot on Haulover Beach which if I remember correctly is a state park. I photographed two nude models and nobody bothered us at all. I never swung my camera towards anyone else and had picked a spot close to the water with no one under foot. That was over a decade ago though and it may be more of a party area now than the laid back hippie thing it used to be.

I was at Haulover in January.  A local photographer was shooting a female that was sunbathing with her friend.  She gave him permission so it was no problem, and the people in the area didn't see any problem either (as long as it was obvious he was photographing her and not other people).

They came up next to me and she started posing.  I got to know 'em a little and now we're good friends.  She's coming here in April. 

I didn't see a lot of partying there... mostly sunbathers and a drum circle with the laid back hippie types... and a bunch of gay guys at the north end of the beach.

Mar 23 21 08:17 am Link

Photographer

Ivan123

Arlington, Virginia, US

Despite a couple of "no problem" posts above, my experience at nude beaches and swimming holes, which I have visited as a sunbather, not a photographer, is that cameras are definitely unwelcome.  It is hard enough to find any place in the US to swim nude, visitors shouldn't also have to worry about cameras.  Find a beach that is deserted (I know, not easy in South Florida) rather than turning a public nude beach into a photoshoot.

Mar 23 21 10:51 am Link

Photographer

Select Model Studios

Tempe, Arizona, US

Thanks for the replies. Good to hear that this place is at least an option if needed. But yeah I would prefer to just find some place with little to no people. Then I don't have to worry about crowds of people and them getting into the shot. A model did mention Virginia Key Beach. I've heard of it, but never been there. According to google search images, it doesn't look overly busy. So this could be an options also I think.

Mar 23 21 11:40 am Link

Photographer

Znude!

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

Ivan123 wrote:
Despite a couple of "no problem" posts above, my experience at nude beaches and swimming holes, which I have visited as a sunbather, not a photographer, is that cameras are definitely unwelcome.  It is hard enough to find any place in the US to swim nude, visitors shouldn't also have to worry about cameras.  Find a beach that is deserted (I know, not easy in South Florida) rather than turning a public nude beach into a photoshoot.

Nudists should be concerned about every person with a telephone and a social media account before worrying about someone with a pro level camera off to themselves photographing a model. Obviously I'm not suggesting getting in the middle of a group of nudists to do the shoot. But if you get near the water and shoot towards the water aiming away from the sunbathers on the beach I think everyone will be fine.

Mar 23 21 02:30 pm Link

Photographer

Ivan123

Arlington, Virginia, US

Znude! wrote:

Nudists should be concerned about every person with a telephone and a social media account before worrying about someone with a pro level camera off to themselves photographing a model. Obviously I'm not suggesting getting in the middle of a group of nudists to do the shoot. But if you get near the water and shoot towards the water aiming away from the sunbathers on the beach I think everyone will be fine.

I don't think people are less worried about "pro-level cameras" than they do about cell phones (although paparazzi do show so much taste and restraint, don't they?), except the cameras are bigger and more obvious so more difficult to make surreptitious but if someone points a big, obvious camera at you, what are you going to do?  I suppose that if you go to a public beach where nudity is allowed, then you take what you get but it is a great shame that there are such a tiny, tiny number of places in the US where one can swim nude, wouldn't it be nice to just be left alone and not worry about getting your picture taken?  I realize, it is hopeless, but we can dream, right?  But I can say, at private nudist resorts, cameras have been definitely forbidden in every case I am aware of.

Mar 24 21 11:21 am Link

Photographer

Vector One Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Miami Beach (the City of) stops at 88th street and although they allow topless it is not really legal. They just look the other way because they don't want to upset the European tourists.  They allow topless sunbathers but not really crazy about photography (even if you have a permit).

Haulover Beach which starts at about 105 street has an officially sanctioned nude beach at the north end of the beach.  Full nudity is allowed but you have to be careful where you point your camera as they don't mind if you look but they don't want to be recorded or immortalize.

There are sections of the beach starting at Deerfield beach that would make a good location as they have rocks and other backgrounds but it's totally illegal there... that is, if you get caught.

Apr 10 21 10:22 pm Link

Photographer

The Falcons Nest

Brooklyn, New York, US

"If a tree falls in the woods..."

I've shot nudes and topless on the beach in Miami more than once. But I've never brought a "whole team", never shot during peak season and always mid-week and avoided being closer than 30-40 yards from anybody else.

I never made it all the way up to Haulover (or however you spell it) but was at least 20 minutes from South Beach. You just have to know where and when to go. We're trying to capture images, not offend people after all.

Apr 13 21 01:29 pm Link

Photographer

AE Photography

Quartzsite, Arizona, US

Ivan123 wrote:
It is hard enough to find any place in the US to swim nude

Go to Oregon!

Apr 21 21 12:32 pm Link

Photographer

Manfred

Stuttgart, Baden-Württemberg, Germany

Do the photo shooting in the early morning. That will cause you less problems.

Jun 30 21 02:47 am Link