Forums > Photography Talk > Where's the wind-proof photo umbrella?

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

I've been looking for a photo-grade type of wind-proof umbrella for the desert but I haven't found one.  The generic wind-proof ones have the dual-layered canopies which has the slot in the middle for the wind to pass through unlike the solid or single-canopy ones sold for photography.

So I modified one I bought off Amazon ($12) to fit in the umbrella holder (i.e. Removed handle and added an extension tube.), but the white polyester fabric has a lot of UV brighteners which isn't good for photography unless you like a blue photo.  A fill-flash used with one can even be more bluer when used in sunlight.  A good photo-grade umbrella should be neutral without shifting the flash color, imho.

What I ended up doing was painting on three layers of "U-V Killer" by Atsko (Amazon $19) to the inside fabric.  I added a little bit of 91% alcohol to the stuff to make it bond better with the polyester and brushed it on the umbrella panels.  Three coats made the fabric's color neutral enough where a direct flash measuring 5,750 Kelvin was the same passing through the fabric. Photo of my test is below.

https://cdn.mu-43.com/attachments/umbrella-uv-treatment-jpg.881764

Apr 06 21 09:09 am Link

Photographer

JBP Graphics

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Sounds like you may want to talk to a patent lawyer and then go into production or maybe even talk to Westcott like they did with the Joel Grimes Beauty Dish Switch.

Apr 06 21 12:22 pm Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

JBP Graphics wrote:
Sounds like you may want to talk to a patent lawyer and then go into production or maybe even talk to Westcott like they did with the Joel Grimes Beauty Dish Switch.

Thanks.  I've thought about that, but dunno.  Still baffles me as to why the wind umbrellas exist, but none here in photo land. Golfers have had them for some time now on the fairways, but they never made it to our side - yet.

I've about had it with setting up soft-boxes in the field.  When I set up, I arrive a couple of hours ahead of time just to put the stuff together.  And they get dirty and are bulky to carry even when broken down.  My old Lighthouse Moonlights I leave partially assembled as the aluminum frame is circular for great catchlights, but they are about 36" diameter even in the case I made for them and they still need some time to assemble and put onto a studio head.  One of my larger six- foot ones needs a counter-balance weight on the backside of the flash and an additional support stand to prevent stressing its mount.  Least an umbrella can slide under a seat and are generally cheap enough to toss if broken, just they suffer wind issues and from bad U-V issues.

As to the fabric and U-V, some soft-box covers are U-V brightened as well.  Bad idea as you can be 1,000+ Kelvin off easily and end up with a bad color-crossover for the effort.  I used to gel those modifiers which is another time-consuming step that shouldn't exist if the things were made right to begin with.  But I guess textile makers make white cloth with the U-V added to make it bright so that's what we get.

What steered me to the "U-V Killer" stuff was a hunter.  During this Covid isolation I took to photographing wildlife.  Birds, on some days, were very skittish around me and other days not so much and they'd come within a couple of feet of me.  I learned from the hunter that some of their hunting and vest apparel has the U-V brightener in them and deer and birds see it easily down into the 420nm U-V range which makes their clothing appear as a large visible threat.  Removing the UV fabric component makes them less skittish.  Fwiw, the "U-V Killer" stuff looks like milk with a very slight yellow color. With the mix of alcohol to it, which works as a drying agent and to help permeate the stubborn polyester water-proof fabric, it gets rid of the U-V.

Maybe Wescott will see this thread and get to thinking...

Apr 06 21 01:14 pm Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

They used to make wind Light Panels, I believe Bogen ( Manfrotto make them) They were large square panels that had several square holes  cut in them to allow wind relief and they were covered with oversize patches of the same material  sewn on two sides so that light would be blocked yet have too of the air to escape.
I dont think they are made anymore and if so only in larger sizes than you would want as the movie industry uses them ( and have big budgets) but I imagine if you bought several small translucent panels it would be easy to make one. Would also be done with an umbrella but the construction would be more difficult.
I had one but found that they didn't work well with strong winds at the Jersey shore which was my primary use, inland with a light breeze it worked well. They were made from rip stop nylon for greater billowing and less wind resistance

Apr 07 21 07:47 am Link

Photographer

63fotos

Flagstaff, Arizona, US

If it’s windy I just use a soft box.

Apr 07 21 07:47 am Link

Photographer

Studio NSFW

Pacifica, California, US

I have developed an umbrella of Concrete that is highly wind resistant. But I cannot figure out how to fold it up.

Apr 09 21 07:59 am Link

Photographer

Znude!

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

You could order a "diamond grade" blank white sign used for road construction with a spring stand. Of course it would be a bit heavy but they hold up to high winds on the interstate highways.

https://www.roadtrafficsigns.com/windma … lgQAvD_BwE

You could also adapt it to mount a flash head on.

Apr 09 21 10:13 am Link

Photographer

Weldphoto

Charleston, South Carolina, US

https://mybest-gb.uk/4883/
A link to a British list of "the best windproof umbrellas". Who better than the Brits to know about such things.  The list will show you the various makers choices of colors.  I didn't look through them all, but there may be some useful ones.  Adapting them to your light shouldn't be difficult for you. Who knows, this might be a solution.

Apr 20 21 08:14 am Link