Forums > General Industry > Playboy Enters the NFT Market

Admin

Model Mayhem Edu

Los Angeles, California, US

"Playboy is entering the non-fungible token (NFT) market with plans to sell its extensive art collection and to support emerging artists."

"Playboy and Nifty Gateway plan to use this digital ownership market in three different areas: to cultivate collaborations between artists and Playboy’s art archive, to support and commission the creation of new NFT works through grants that support emerging or underrepresented artists, and to curate and sell Playboy’s own extensive photographic and art collection."
https://petapixel.com/2021/04/09/playbo … -creators/

Apr 12 21 07:48 am Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Maryborough, Queensland, Australia

Thank you for sharing this story. Some sing songs about missing their MTV ... but for me, I miss my Playboy (US edition).

Playboy is many different things to many different types of creatives ... and mostly wonderful things too!

I enjoyed the magazine's covers. I can't actually recall any covers I did not like.

Sounds crazy today but US Playboy magazine was initially banned in my state as our censor's considered its content as being too shocking for adults here to read and/or view.

Apr 12 21 05:29 pm Link

Admin

Model Mayhem Edu

If you haven't seen it already, and feel nostalgic, I recommend watching the docudrama, "American Playboy: The Hugh Hefner Story."

Apr 12 21 06:02 pm Link

Photographer

Shoots to Thrill

Erie, Pennsylvania, US

Camera Buff wrote:
Thank you for sharing this story. Some sing songs about missing their MTV ... but for me, I miss my Playboy (US edition).

Playboy is many different things to many different types of creatives ... and mostly wonderful things too!

I enjoyed the magazine's covers. I can't actually recall any covers I did not like.

Sounds crazy today but US Playboy magazine was initially banned in my state as our censor's considered it's content as being too shocking for adults here to read and/or view.

Apr 12 21 07:57 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

Or feeble attempt to be in the least bit relevant.

Apr 13 21 03:19 am Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Maryborough, Queensland, Australia

Dan Howell wrote:

The future is not looking so-glossy for many/most of todays magazines and news publications.

How long will it be before other iconic magazines and newspapers will be making their own feeble attempts to be in the least bit relevant?

A simple google search will reveal a list of all the defunct American and international magazines. The future of print is not-so-glossy!

Apr 13 21 09:49 am Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

I think it is both an attempt to remain relevant and an evolution of the income stream when it is new and hot.
Older Playboy readers (like me) are in a demographic that is, as a group, one with disposable income and still in the collector generation and collectibles are in most areas a declining market as youngsters are less into collecting stuff.
Who knows where the market will go?

Apr 13 21 10:01 am Link

Photographer

Managing Light

Salem, Virginia, US

Dan Howell wrote:

Long term, I agree with you.  But in the short/medium term, they have a huge supply of images that are considered iconic by the older generation who has the cash to buy them.

Apr 13 21 01:32 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

Managing Light wrote:

Long term, I agree with you.  But in the short/medium term, they have a huge supply of images that are considered iconic by the older generation who has the cash to buy them.

Did you actually read the words that you wrote?

You think the older generation would:  a) understand or b) value an NFT? Sorry, that's just ludicrous.

Apr 14 21 06:01 pm Link

Clothing Designer

Baanthai

Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand

Managing Light wrote:

Dan Howell wrote:

You think the older generation would:  a) understand or b) value an NFT? Sorry, that's just ludicrous.

For the life of me, I can’t figure out the concept of a non-fungible token. Here’s a link to The NY Times podcast “The Daily” that on Tuesday did an entire show on NFTs.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/13/podc … rency.html

Still, I don’t get it. For someone who does, please answer these questions: 1. If you buy a NFT of a photograph, do you even receive a copy (or negative) of the photo? What exactly does the NFT represent? Why does an NFT have value? What is the relevance of Block Chain in relation to NFTs?

It appears if you purchase a photograph NFT, all you get is some sort of certificate that you can frame. NFTs remind me of exotic Real Estate derivatives that were sold in the years before the great crash of 2008-they turned out to be essentially worthless pieces of paper.

Some one, anyone, please explain the concept of a NFT. (But do listen to that podcast.)

Apr 15 21 05:53 am Link

Photographer

JQuest

Syracuse, New York, US

It's my understanding (and I am by know means sure of this) that the NFT guarantees that you own the original digital work directly from the creator. In other words you have the very first rendering, not a copy. Similar to anyone can own a copy of the Mona Lisa, but if you want the original you have to visit the Louvre.

So I guess in the case of Playboy photographs they are guaranteeing the purchaser that they have the original digital file of that image. Now if that's worth more to you than a copy of that file that is exactly the same, just not the first, then I guess that's up to you. So I kind of understand how that works with digital creations that haven't been printed and sold, however I have no idea how an NFT would work in the case of a creation that was originally on film and is now digitized. It would seem the film negative or slide would be worth far more than an NFT guarantee on a file. However I am a luddite in these matters.

Anyone who knows more about this or if I have it completely wrong please chime in.

Apr 15 21 09:59 am Link

Photographer

Managing Light

Salem, Virginia, US

Managing Light wrote:

Dan Howell wrote:

Actually, my comment was only referring to their image inventory - I consider the NFT to be irrelevant.

Apr 16 21 09:27 am Link

Admin

Model Mayhem Edu

Baanthai wrote:
Some one, anyone, please explain the concept of a NFT. (But do listen to that podcast.)

Perhaps this will help:
www.theverge.com/22310188/nft-explainer … to-art-faq

Apr 16 21 10:53 am Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

Managing Light wrote:

Actually, my comment was only referring to their image inventory - I consider the NFT to be irrelevant.

Yeah, that's my fault I thought you were talking about NFT because this thread is about NFT. So silly of me.

Apr 17 21 03:56 am Link

Clothing Designer

veypurr

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

Dan Howell wrote:

Yeah, that's my fault I thought you were talking about NFT because this thread is about NFT. So silly of me.

There are now grocery stores that are taking Bitcoin as payment and selling Bitcoin.

Apr 17 21 10:57 am Link

Photographer

Jeff LaMarche

San Diego, California, US

Baanthai wrote:

Have you ever created a limited edition print? An NFT is basically equivalent to the certificate of authenticity you created for edition prints, only done with math.

Contrary to the way it's usually presented, the NFT is not actually the piece of artwork; it's a digitally verifiable (and also extremely difficult to counterfeit) "certificate" that identifies who the current "owner" of a piece of digital art is. It's a way to create artificial scarcity for an infinitely duplicatable resource.

They've existed for years and never took off because I don't think most people grokked what they were or why you'd want one. I'm honestly a little surprised to see them taking off now.

I don't know if they will continue to become more popular, or if they'll be a fad that disappears in a few years, but I get the need they're trying to satisfy.

Apr 18 21 09:41 am Link