Forums > Photography Talk > Shutter Actuations

Photographer

Nor-Cal Photography

Walnut Creek, California, US

Several years ago there was a discussion on how to determine the number of shutter actuations for a DSLR camera.  I would appreciate it if someone would let me know of a method for determining the number.

Thanks!

smile

May 21 21 08:54 am Link

Photographer

PHP-Photography

Vaasa, Ostrobothnia, Finland

Depends what camera you have but you could start with ExifTool from Phil Harvey.

https://exiftool.org/

May 21 21 09:10 am Link

Photographer

JQuest

Syracuse, New York, US

Try this website if it doesn't show in your exif data;
https://www.camerashuttercount.com/

May 21 21 11:25 am Link

Photographer

Nor-Cal Photography

PHP-Photography wrote:
Depends what camera you have but you could start with ExifTool from Phil Harvey.

https://exiftool.org/

Thanks for your input.  The "tool" works great but did not show actuations.

May 21 21 12:52 pm Link

Photographer

Nor-Cal Photography

JQuest wrote:
Try this website if it doesn't show in your exif data;
https://www.camerashuttercount.com/

Thanks for your assistance.  I tried it and it notified me that actuation data was not available for the photo I submitted.

May 21 21 12:54 pm Link

Photographer

JQuest

Syracuse, New York, US

Interesting, I just tried it and it cam e up at 123,564 which I figure is about right for my 2012 Pentax K5. Make sure the image you upload is in JPG format and is unedited. I snapped a pic of a chair.

May 21 21 01:12 pm Link

Photographer

LightEnough

Washington, District of Columbia, US

The support people for your camera brand may be ale to help.  I saw a utility to count Canon brand shutter actuations this morning on the Apple App Store. There may be the same thing on the Android App store.

May 21 21 02:27 pm Link

Photographer

Nor-Cal Photography

JQuest wrote:
Interesting, I just tried it and it cam e up at 123,564 which I figure is about right for my 2012 Pentax K5. Make sure the image you upload is in JPG format and is unedited. I snapped a pic of a chair.

I tried again with an unedited image and got this message:

"It looks like your camera doesn't supply the necessary information."

sad

May 21 21 07:32 pm Link

Photographer

Studio NSFW

Pacifica, California, US

I THINK I read somewhere that some Canon models do not track shutter actuations, or at least it is not in a EXIF compatible format if they did.

I think I read that...if you are shooting Canon that may be the issue

May 21 21 09:35 pm Link

Photographer

Nor-Cal Photography

Studio NSFW wrote:
I THINK I read somewhere that some Canon models do not track shutter actuations, or at least it is not in a EXIF compatible format if they did.

I think I read that...if you are shooting Canon that may be the issue

Thanks for your input.  It is Canon.  And a Google search came up with similar info.  Evidently a program has to be downloaded from the Internet from an unknown source (which could be malware).

I probably will never be able to get the number of actuations without going to an authorized Canon repair dealer.

May 21 21 09:55 pm Link

Photographer

PHP-Photography

Vaasa, Ostrobothnia, Finland

May 21 21 10:18 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

Nor-Cal Photography wrote:
Thanks for your input.  It is Canon.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/canon- … ital-info/

does not work with newer Canon models. (v1.2)   50D and 5D mark II worked fine, on My 80D I could not get the count.

May 22 21 03:28 am Link

Photographer

Weldphoto

Charleston, South Carolina, US

I find it odd that camera companies don't make the shutter count easy discovered.  Imagine if you went to buy a used car and was told, "Oh. sorry Rolls Royce doesn't provide an odometer or Ford requires this special software to discover that."  Absurd in my opinion.  What would be the reason behind this, I wonder.

May 22 21 07:36 am Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

Prior to digital there was no way fo telling shutter count and IMO it is a relatively meaningless number as when they did provide a way of tracking it the shutter "life" was really Mean Time before Failure, kinda like human life expectancy--it may be 73 but some live to 103 and some don't make it to 3.
Expect failure at some time and have a back up of some type or have a plan periodic replacement

May 22 21 08:51 am Link

Photographer

Weldphoto

Charleston, South Carolina, US

Bob Helm Photography wrote:
Prior to digital there was no way fo telling shutter count and IMO it is a relatively meaningless number as when they did provide a way of tracking it the shutter "life" was really Mean Time before Failure, kinda like human life expectancy--it may be 73 but some live to 103 and some don't make it to 3.
Expect failure at some time and have a back up of some type or have a plan periodic replacement

It would have meaning to me if I were buying a used camera body. I'd rather buy one with only 1000 shots rather than one with 50,000.  I agree there is no certainty that any given camera will last a certain number of shutter releases, but I would tend to go with the odds that a lower count might well last longer than one with a very high one.

May 23 21 07:23 pm Link

Photographer

Studio NSFW

Pacifica, California, US

In the film days, you would never “Spray and Pray” like some do in the digital era. I recently was shooting some architectural in Golden Gate park (digital View camera and 10 minutes of setup minimum per exposure), and another photographer was doing a corporate group shoot. After he got them arranged, he squatted and down and I’d say conservatively shot 70 exposures of the same group pose...without directing anyone to do anything, changing focal length , or anything. Just a large number of fundamentally identical images. I get that you take a few in case someone blinks and looks weird, but this was just silly.  Then on 5o 5he individual shots....same thing. No direction, no change in pose, 50 exposures...NEXT!

I can’t imagine sitting down in post and plowing through that many images trying to find the gold image . Still...not my problem...I sat up for 10 minutes, made the exposure...move to next spot, setup.....the whole day yielded about 20 exposures.

I have read that the pro level Canon shutters and mirror boxes are good for about 150,000 cycles, the consumer stuff something like 25000.  I’d say if he is getting a lot of those jobs he probably burns through a body every couple of years.

May 23 21 09:22 pm Link

Photographer

fotopfw

Kerkrade, Limburg, Netherlands

Studio NSFW wrote:
In the film days, you would never “Spray and Pray” like some do in the digital era. I recently was shooting some architectural in Golden Gate park (digital View camera and 10 minutes of setup minimum per exposure), and another photographer was doing a corporate group shoot. After he got them arranged, he squatted and down and I’d say conservatively shot 70 exposures of the same group pose...without directing anyone to do anything, changing focal length , or anything. Just a large number of fundamentally identical images. I get that you take a few in case someone blinks and looks weird, but this was just silly.  Then on 5o 5he individual shots....same thing. No direction, no change in pose, 50 exposures...NEXT!

I can’t imagine sitting down in post and plowing through that many images trying to find the gold image . Still...not my problem...I sat up for 10 minutes, made the exposure...move to next spot, setup.....the whole day yielded about 20 exposures.

I have read that the pro level Canon shutters and mirror boxes are good for about 150,000 cycles, the consumer stuff something like 25000.  I’d say if he is getting a lot of those jobs he probably burns through a body every couple of years.

Totally true! What baffles me, even photographers from the film era, when totally wild when shooting digital. They say: options. Where is the art of looking, directing, reaching a goal?

May 24 21 01:52 am Link

Photographer

Warren Leimbach

Tampa, Florida, US

I have an app called "Shuttercount" which runs on my Mac.

It works on Canon.  I think I may have paid $5 for it?

Re: the usefulness of shutter actuation counts. 
  It is useful as a thumbnail sketch of how much the camera has been "used up" and how much "use value" it has left.  A broken shutter is not the most expensive thing to repair and is not necessarily the end of an otherwise young camera's life.  But other parts, buttons, dials, seals, lubricants, mirror arms, dead pixels, etc. are wearing away.  It gives you some information to go on.

May 28 21 01:03 pm Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

Warren makes a valid point that there are other wear and tear items but if a shutter needs to be replaced all manufacturers since they guarantee the entire camera after repair will replace seals, cover material and do a complete CLA (Clean Lube and adjustments) giving you a pretty much rebuilt and restored camera.
Back in the film days many pros sent bodies in for a complete CLA treatment once a year and one photographer I knew who did magazine work covering major news events ( like war and protest) the client paid for a CLA after each assignment

May 30 21 04:42 pm Link

Photographer

Frozen Instant Imagery

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Studio NSFW wrote:

I don’t know where you heard those numbers, but they are not accurate. The latest 1 series body is rated at 500 000 actuations. I thought 100 000 to 150 000 was for the lower end models, like the xxD series. Shutter check says the latest xxxD and xxxxD models are rated at 100 000. 25 000 sounds way too low.

Jun 07 21 04:28 pm Link