JT Life Photography

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Thanks,
JT

May 24 21 02:27 pm Link

Body Painter

Splashtastic

Kennewick, Washington, US

This is definitely your worst piece.  It' essentially free of any interest except that the eye always goes to the crotch.  Then there's the foot.  That's it.  'Lots of dead space .  'Not much of the model. Not much dynamic range.  Not much texture.  Not much emotion.  Then there's this unattractive blue cast.  Why?

May 25 21 08:19 pm Link

Photographer

Brosius Photographics

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

I think this image is ok as a stand alone image but it would make more sense as a collection.  Your caption 'Q' is key here. Without seeing the caption, the image may not make sense.  Seeing the caption allows the extended foot to make sense (this is in reference to the previous critique).  If I see this image with the caption of 'Q', I want to see other letters as well. 

I'm not a fan of the crotch, nor do I like the hands on the circle.  Maybe if the hands covered the crotch, that would be better.

I understand you are doing a series of "no faces" and this fits in that series so I'm ok with that.  But again, I think having more letters in the collection would help make this stronger and make the hidden face make sense.

I'm not a huge fan of the blue hue but again, as you know, I'm biased towards black and white smile

If you took my suggestion on the collection, I think the formatting should be changed from a 2:3 ratio, maybe try a square.  A square format with the subject being the letter 'O' might be interesting. 

Mark

May 26 21 07:48 am Link

Photographer

David Miller

San Diego, California, US

For me the hue is very distracting. The other images in your port of the same theme allow the viewer to dwell on the image long enough to reveal meaning and imagine a narrative. And I had no problem seeing the artistry in the other versions of this theme.

May 26 21 09:19 am Link

Photographer

G Wilson

Dallas, Texas, US

IDK ... just before you take any of these criticisms to heart, consider the source

May 26 21 12:48 pm Link

Photographer

JT Life Photography

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Splashtastic wrote:
This is definitely your worst piece.  It' essentially free of any interest except that the eye always goes to the crotch.  Then there's the foot.  That's it.  'Lots of dead space .  'Not much of the model. Not much dynamic range.  Not much texture.  Not much emotion.  Then there's this unattractive blue cast.  Why?

Thank you for your comment.
The image is from a set of 'stained' black and white prints with multiple colors. Hence the blue cast.
My eyes go to the angle between her knee and elbow first. Many of my images have a LOT of dead space. While I might fill a frame I'm as comfortable using dead space to focus on the image.

May 26 21 02:43 pm Link

Photographer

JT Life Photography

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Brosius Photographics wrote:
I think this image is ok as a stand alone image but it would make more sense as a collection.  Your caption 'Q' is key here. Without seeing the caption, the image may not make sense.  Seeing the caption allows the extended foot to make sense (this is in reference to the previous critique).  If I see this image with the caption of 'Q', I want to see other letters as well. 

I'm not a fan of the crotch, nor do I like the hands on the circle.  Maybe if the hands covered the crotch, that would be better.

I understand you are doing a series of "no faces" and this fits in that series so I'm ok with that.  But again, I think having more letters in the collection would help make this stronger and make the hidden face make sense.

I'm not a huge fan of the blue hue but again, as you know, I'm biased towards black and white smile

If you took my suggestion on the collection, I think the formatting should be changed from a 2:3 ratio, maybe try a square.  A square format with the subject being the letter 'O' might be interesting. 

Mark

I have a series with many models of alphabets. I actually use it as a 'warm-up' routine when we start to shoot. Occasionally I put them up to get other opinions. Some of the series will be used towards my next exhibition in Toronto.

I agree that less exposure of the crotch area might be better. Likewise with square format. Many years ago (a bit over 5 decades!) I went through a phase of color staining B/W images in the darkroom. I've been treating a number of my B/W images this way recently (no chemical burns).

Thank you,
JT

May 26 21 02:51 pm Link

Photographer

JT Life Photography

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

David Miller wrote:
For me the hue is very distracting. The other images in your port of the same theme allow the viewer to dwell on the image long enough to reveal meaning and imagine a narrative. And I had no problem seeing the artistry in the other versions of this theme.

Thank you for your comment. As I mentioned above I was really experimenting again with stains/washes of B/W images. But I agree that it does 'stick out' in my mainly B/W portfolio.

Many Thanks,
JT

May 26 21 02:53 pm Link

Photographer

JT Life Photography

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

G Wilson wrote:
IDK ... just before you take any of these criticisms to heart, consider the source

Thank you.
Sometimes I like a treatment of an image, sometimes I don't, and to be honest sometime I change my mind after time. Everyone has their own background and opinions. I am grateful that people take the time to let me know them.
Many Thanks,
JT

May 26 21 02:56 pm Link

Retoucher

ltubbh

Shijiazhuang, Hebei, China

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/1 … 96836f.jpg

It looks like a cooked egg without a shell

I want to eat this

May 30 21 03:52 am Link

Photographer

ottawa_on_fire

Eškašem, Badakhshan, Afghanistan

Fascinating image. The only issue I see is the overemphasis on the crotch as the focal point. The subtlety of the shape the pose creates would come through a little more with a more subtle point of focus.

Aug 11 21 10:34 am Link

Photographer

Jessica Darwinian

Miami, Florida, US

Would love positive comments on my nudes as well as helpful tips replied here:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/4658929/viewall

-thanks y'all
Jess

Feb 07 22 06:19 pm Link

Photographer

Rhea Monson

Walnut Grove, Alabama, US

You have 20 images in your port.
which one do you wish to have critiqued?

Feb 08 22 07:00 am Link

Photographer

Jessica Darwinian

Miami, Florida, US

Mostly looking at how to improve the nudes

Feb 08 22 08:32 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Jessica Darwinian wrote:
Would love positive comments on my nudes as well as helpful tips replied here:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/4658929/viewall