Forums > Model Colloquy > Is this a Scam?

Model

classicprendergast

Orlando, Florida, US

Hi all!

I know when the question of "is this a scam" comes up...it usually is. But I wanted to share this in case anyone else recently was recently contacted with a similar message. They never asked me for any money (I know to be weary of that) and while the company they are referring to is legit and well established, there is no way for me to be completely sure if this "Carl Sweet" is actually associated with them (especially because he has an "@gmail" email account).

Like I said, they did not ask for any money or banking information, which is promising, but the whole "isolated railway" sketched me out a bit, as I am not trying to show up somewhere sketchy and get kidnapped either (lol).

I also emailed and private messaged the actual company in an attempt to alert them.

Thoughts?

"Hi, Thanks for getting back. In response to the generous requests to provide assistance during the ongoing novel coronavirus pandemic, Awake Clothing is launching a COVID-19 Community Response Campaign.

The Community Response Campaign is Awake’s effort to direct people’s generosity, time and resources to provide meaningful impact for patients and caregivers of the coronavirus in a variety of ways.

Awake Clothing’s COVID-19 Response Campaign priorities include:

-Donate to support Clinics and caregivers – Support the needs of front-line caregivers with items such as gift cards for meals from local restaurants.

-Contribute needed supplies – To be prepared for a potential surge of patients in the coming weeks, Awake Clothing will help source the following supplies such as hand sanitizers, disinfecting wipes, hand gloves and masks.

-Donate to COVID-19 treatment and research.

-Supply masks and hand gloves to affected communities– Follow instructions on making approved masks to help us support the community. These donated masks will be used to help reinforce cough etiquette in our community. Cough etiquette, which includes covering your cough, is an important way to help stop the spread of COVID-19 and protect those around us. About a thousand units will be provided on set to be shared to the public.

We need both male and female talents for this Promotional Campaign in different affected locations across the state. We believe this will provide relief during the crisis and also help boost sales across the country after the crisis. Talent will serve as a model, showcasing different holiday wears, makeup looks and trends. The wardrobe for the shoot, professional hair and makeup will all be provided on set. Models must have a great smile and should be very expressive with their eyes, body language and able to take directions well. The concept for the Promotional Campaign Shoot will be a railway concept, so shots will be taken on a train track/station closer to where you are located in order to avoid any traveling during this hazardous time and pictures will be used to advertise products and also for the photographer's portfolio as well. Payment/Compensation for the Promotional Campaign will be $1500($200/hr+$100 as bonus). We are currently in discussion with the Railway Authorities to find an isolated spot for the shots to be taken without interruption from train activities. Due to the pandemic, we’ll have just a few of the crew members to participate in the shoot, the MUA and stylist which will be led by the photographer. Our main goal is to continue to pursue the clothing line. To spread the word that the unique brand exists even through these hard times. A brand designed for style, fashion and motivation for men and women. A dream and a vision to go WORLDWIDE with the team.

Kindly get back to me to know if all is clear to you and then we can proceed.

Warm Regards,

Carl Sweet.

IG@awakenewyorkclothing

www.awakenyclothing.com"

Nov 22 21 06:57 am Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

SCAM . . .

Do you not think that a professional campaign would be going through an advertising ageny, a professional casting company or a licensed modeling agency . . . rather than approaching unknown people through emails ?

Common sense should tell you that it's not a legitimate offer.

Of course, my grandmother used to always say "Common Sense Isn't All That Common" !

Nov 22 21 07:25 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

classicprendergast wrote:
They never asked me for any money (I know to be weary of that) and while the company they are referring to is legit and well established, there is no way for me to be completely sure if this "Carl Sweet" is actually associated with them (especially because he has an "@gmail" email account).

You can (and should) ask the company (if it indeed is a real company).   That way they'll know their brand is being used in a scam and may take steps to either stop it or warn others.

classicprendergast wrote:
...they did not ask for any money or banking information

'Yet' is the key word:  "they did not ask for any money or banking information yet.

Just like any other nigerian 419 scam, they'll attempt to overpay you a large sum of money and send you a fake check.  They'll required you to WIRE the overpayment to a third party (an event organizer, photographer, makeup artist)... it doesn't matter, the wired money is going to the scammer.

The check may initially clear the bank but be returned in a few weeks and funds will be removed from your bank account.  The WIRED money is not returnable or traceable. 

Same scam, different story.

Nov 22 21 07:39 am Link

Model

classicprendergast

Orlando, Florida, US

SayCheeZ!  wrote:

You can (and should) ask the company (if it indeed is a real company).   That way they'll know their brand is being used in a scam and may take steps to either stop it or warn others.

'Yet' is the key word:  "they did not ask for any money or banking information yet.

Just like any other nigerian 419 scam, they'll attempt to overpay you a large sum of money and send you a fake check.  They'll required you to WIRE the overpayment to a third party (an event organizer, photographer, makeup artist)... it doesn't matter, the wired money is going to the scammer.

The check may initially clear the bank but be returned in a few weeks and funds will be removed from your bank account.  The WIRED money is not returnable or traceable. 

Same scam, different story.

Thank you! That's what I was thinking too - I sent the actual company a message explaining the situation. Hopefully they see it.

Regards!

Nov 22 21 07:56 am Link

Photographer

csybt

Denver, Colorado, US

Something similar recently happened to me. Didn't ask for money *yet*. And also chose a brand where they could disguise the "i" as an "l" so I couldn't tell they weren't actually associated with said brand.

Nov 22 21 10:08 am Link

Photographer

G Reese

Marion, Indiana, US

Your not alone.  We get them as well.  100%  sure this turkey is a scammer.   

jack Holdsworth <[email protected]>
To:[email protected]
Mon, Jun 6 at 12:26 PM
Hello,
    My name is Jack Holdsworth, I'm a freelance agent. I saw a link to your photography portfolio on model mayhem. I have a photo gig ( Fashion / Commercial Shoot ) coming up soon and I would love to work with you on this project. Kindly email me at [email protected] for more details.

Best Regards.

Jack Holdsworth

LOL gota love 'em.

No, I did not reply.

Jun 06 22 10:52 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

G Reese wrote:

I received the same one today.

Jun 06 22 04:09 pm Link

Photographer

Flex Photography

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

Lets try logic,,, "Shoot will be a railway concept, so shots will be taken on a train track/station closer to where you are located..."  "We are currently in discussion with the Railway Authorities to find an isolated spot for the shots to be taken without interruption from train activities..."
There are many railway companies in the US. If they don't know which are near you, (not even hired yet) how could they know which to talk to?
"The wardrobe for the shoot, professional hair and makeup will all be provided on set."
How is it cheaper/ more practical for a company to transport all this material and personnel to you, (an unknown aspiring model) than have you come to them?

Makes no sense!

Jul 03 22 06:04 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Ken Marcus Studios wrote:
SCAM . . .

Do you not think that a professional campaign would be going through an advertising ageny, a professional casting company or a licensed modeling agency . . . rather than approaching unknown people through emails ?

Common sense should tell you that it's not a legitimate offer.

Of course, my grandmother used to always say "Common Sense Isn't All That Common" !

Whenever Ken Marcus says something, it is wise to listen carefully, because he is rarely wrong.

Jul 08 22 07:09 pm Link

Photographer

ROUA IMAGES

Phoenix, Arizona, US

SCAM preying on vanity and gullibility.  Legit companies don't operate in this nature.

Jul 09 22 11:18 pm Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Kingston upon Hull, England, United Kingdom

What difference does having a nice smile make if you're wearing a mask?

A lot of scammers give themselves away in subtle ways, quite often also through bad grammar, spelling etc.

Jul 11 22 02:09 am Link