Forums > Photography Talk > Underwater Lighting

Photographer

DS Photographique

Perth, Western Australia, Australia

Hello there,

I've had one of those cheap underwater bags for my DSLR for years but I've only just had a chance to use it for the first time 2 weeks ago and I gotta say, I love it. But now I'd also like to be able to light my subjects underwater without having to purchase stupidly expensive underwater housings for my strobe lights. As far as battery powered lights/strobes go, I have 2x Godox AD200Pro's, 2x Neewer ML300's and 2x Neewer RGB480 LED panels.

I figure my best bet is to find some clear watertight plastic boxes large enough to hold the AD200Pro's that I can also superglue some kind of clamp to so I can put it on a sandbagged lighting stand. Then paint all of the sides of the box black leaving one side clear for the shiny end of the strobe.

My question is has anyone else on here done this kind of MacGyver type job before and if so what were your experiences and is there any advice you could offer?

Mar 13 22 06:39 pm Link

Photographer

Studio NSFW

Pacifica, California, US

I used a cheap solution for underwater photography years ago...my advice is:

Don't put anything in the water that you expect to use again.

Mar 14 22 05:55 pm Link

Photographer

BeppuPhoto

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

You may be better off making the most of ambient light.

You'll notice most external strobes are hardwired/tethered to the main housing. Generally speaking optical and RF options don't work underwater. So even if you design and build a waterproof enclosure for your strobes, triggering/syncing them will be a huge challenge. And even if you do, heat will also be an issue in a small, airtight enclosure.

In most instances, ambient light, up to about 6-8ft in depth can do some great things.

Good luck.

Mar 20 22 10:31 pm Link

Photographer

tcphoto

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I would be careful with cheap "underwater bags" or at least make sure your insurance policy is up to date. Lighting underwater is generally achieved by firing strobes into the water from around the pool but remember that light does not transmit efficiently underwater. You might be able to achieve the look you desire with your strobes but the ISO may have to be cranked up higher than you usually shoot.

Mar 23 22 12:05 pm Link

Photographer

Studio-SL19

Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands

Studio NSFW wrote:
I used a cheap solution for underwater photography years ago...my advice is:

Don't put anything in the water that you expect to use again.

Or if it runs on mains power. . . . . . . .

Apr 06 22 01:30 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

I wonder how a wireless strobist setup in quadruple ziploc bags would work ?
$20 investment so no biggie if some water intrusion

Apr 06 22 01:43 pm Link