Forums > General Industry > Wonder What It's Like Working On A Feature

Model

Aaron Marcus

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Ever wondered what it's really like auditioning, getting cast and working on a feature film? Watch this video (part 1 of 2) to learn the realities and behind the scenes of an actors life.

https://youtu.be/QezEztzIaHM

Aaron Marcus

Apr 23 22 07:10 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Kingston upon Hull, England, United Kingdom

I imagine that would depend on a lot of things; the type of film, the budget, the locations, the director, the cast, the armorer if any, how well people were getting on with each other, things like that.

Apr 23 22 07:32 am Link

Photographer

John Silva Photography

Fairfield, California, US

If it was the movie Rust, behind the scenes would involve lots of finger pointing, denials, lawsuits and maybe you'd even have to shoot someone...., for real!!!
John

Apr 23 22 08:58 pm Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

John Silva Photography wrote:
If it was the movie Rust, behind the scenes would involve lots of finger pointing, denials, lawsuits and maybe you'd even have to shoot someone...., for real!!!
John

You wouldn't want to be too near Alec Baldwin when he whips out that Colt .45..

Apr 26 22 07:17 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Movie making can be tough. Did you see that documentary about Apocalypse Now? Today it seems incredible that they could make that film without actually shooting anybody.

Apr 26 22 07:28 am Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

Los Angeles, California, US

JSouthworth wrote:
Movie making can be tough. Did you see that documentary about Apocalypse Now? Today it seems incredible that they could make that film without actually shooting anybody.

ALL movie making is "tough" on the actual participants. The hours alone tend to be brutal, not to mention the conditions in which one is required to function at a high degree of excellence, technical and physical. And to those who actually have experience in the industry, the safety record on firearm use is not "incredible" AT ALL. It is in fact, standard operating procedure.

Apr 26 22 10:32 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Focuspuller wrote:
ALL movie making is "tough" on the actual participants. The hours alone tend to be brutal, not to mention the conditions in which one is required to function at a high degree of excellence, technical and physical. And to those who actually have experience in the industry, the safety record on firearm use is not "incredible" AT ALL. It is in fact, standard operating procedure.

Until recently, the safety record on firearm use in the movie industry was better than it is now. Accidents involving firearms are rare, partly because the potential danger from a gun is obvious. But falling off a ladder, or being underneath a falling piece of equipment can be equally fatal.
Stunt work is obviously dangerous. Between 1980 and 1990 there were 24 fatalities in the movie industry involving helicopters apparently;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_f … 20Contents

Apr 27 22 07:24 am Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

Never mind.

Apr 27 22 10:35 am Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

JSouthworth wrote:
Until recently, the safety record on firearm use in the movie industry was better than it is now. Accidents involving firearms are rare, partly because the potential danger from a gun is obvious. But falling off a ladder, or being underneath a falling piece of equipment can be equally fatal.
Stunt work is obviously dangerous. Between 1980 and 1990 there were 24 fatalities in the movie industry involving helicopters apparently;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_f … 20Contents

Working on motion picture sets is one of the most dangerous occupations around. I myself witnessed a stunt man killed. I knew personally someone killed in an insert car accident on a TV show, and another person killed when a car stunt went wrong. I knew people killed falling asleep driving home after inhumane work shifts. I know several people injured seriously but not fatalIy on set. I had 26 stitches on my forehead thanks to a set "accident."

One area of filmmaking that is extremely safe, ironically, is firearm use, thanks to explicit rules being assiduously followed. When the rules are flouted, tragedy ensues.

Apr 27 22 01:47 pm Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Actors and actresses are considered by insurers to be a high risk group, because of the irregular nature of their work and perhaps a few other things.

Apr 28 22 06:22 am Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

JSouthworth wrote:
Actors and actresses are considered by insurers to be a high risk group, because of the irregular nature of their work and perhaps a few other things.

And that risk is more about a key actor's personal behavior potentially shutting down a production, triggering insurance policies insurers must honor. Actual actor fatalities on sets are pretty rare.

Apr 28 22 11:09 am Link