Forums > Newbie Forum > Strategy for securing photographer as new starter

Model

Miniheman

London, England, United Kingdom

My realname is Will. I'm a late starter at 42, however have perceived maturity on my side.

What are ways which work, of connecting to a photographer to create a good strong portfolio just starting out?

I sent a message to a photographer directly, who sent a friend request to me. That guy is renowned, and is based in London UK , like me. Its been 2 days and no response so far. I was clear in my writing, my position and timescale for me. There is another photographer I need to touch base with on here.

I was referred to MM by a modeling agency in London, who I signed up to. I have actually signed up to two, with much research.

My first photo shoot was a disaster I think, the images were rushed and they wanted to get people in and out fast. It was in a basement in London, and it felt like a doctors surgery waiting room. Children's toys were abound, due to parent/child modelling.

They put me on the spot for a £300 model package, there and then. I sensibly bunked this, under pressure and waited until Monday of the next week.
On Monday, I suddenly received a lot of offers by email, of agencies wanting to represent me. I went with 2 after a week of research.

Some selfie images I have taken, people have said they are quite high quality. The compromise is often a cluttered background.

I got this interest from the agencies, based on  3 images emailed around which were taken at that hasty photo shoot on Saturday in Tower hamlets in London.

I am punching below my weight, based on this test shoot. I have a very serious, focused and persistent attitude entering this field. I want people to critique my photos, like any piece of artwork essentially. I understand in modeling, I could start my career modeling DIY tools, garden tools, cellphones, headphones. Product promos basically.

I have realised I might get a start in an unlikely place.

Jun 22 22 07:51 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Miniheman wrote:
What are ways which work, of connecting to a photographer to create a good strong portfolio just starting out?

Use the browse feature at the top of the page to search for photographers near you.

Miniheman wrote:
I sent a message to a photographer directly, . . .Its been 2 days and no response so far.

This is not unusual. People are busy and preoccupied. And they sometimes have a hard time making up their minds.

Miniheman wrote:
Some selfie images I have taken, people have said they are quite high quality.

Are these people who's work you respect?
What do YOU think?

Miniheman wrote:
The compromise is often a cluttered background.

There is no excuse for a cluttered background.

Miniheman wrote:
I want people to critique my photos, like any piece of artwork essentially.

You must post in the Critique forum.

Miniheman wrote:
I understand in modeling, I could start my career modeling DIY tools, garden tools, cellphones, headphones. Product promos basically.

This is a good plan.

Jun 22 22 09:28 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

This 1 Mistake Can Ruin Your Modeling
https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/982326

What Agents Can And Can't Do To Help A
https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/982214

Before Hiring a Photographer Ask These 8
https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/982303

Jun 22 22 09:55 am Link

Model

Miniheman

The last video was very helpful for me. I look forward to creating something great with the next photographer, rather than the formulaic test photos.

Jun 23 22 08:11 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Photography should never be formulaic.

Jun 23 22 09:38 am Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

The best advice I've given to those starting out is to find a photographer within a reasonable distance of your location, who shows work that you really like in their portfolio, and pay them a reasonable fee for a photo session to get the sort of photos that you need as a beginner.  It's worth contacting several to compare their rates and what they will be giving you for your money.

I've also done plenty of modelling for photography students over the years, many of them are capable of quite good work, and often will work for trade if it benefits both of you, so that's another good option worth looking into.

You should not include selfies in your modelling portfolio, those are seen as a sign of someone who is not serious about modelling, and could be a red flag that may keep people from working with you.  There is a clear distinction between selfies taken with an outstretched arm, and self-photography using a camera on a tripod and a timer to create photos which look as if they were taken by a photographer.

Jun 24 22 06:32 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Practice a variety of expressions.

Jun 24 22 07:27 am Link

Model

Miniheman

I have emailed several here. Tumbleweed. My gripe in life is their indifference to new blood.  Not like i am green, I have done nude modelling  before.

Jun 26 22 09:35 am Link