DIKENGA-FILMSFilmmaker Male Los Angeles, California, US
My Website: Official Website: www.DIKENGA.comMy MM URL: http://www.modelmayhem.com/dikengafilms
Mayhem # 1631305
About MeFind me at http://www.facebook.com/stevebalderson
Here's a feature-length documentary made about me when I was making my film FIRECRACKER:
In a review of Steve’s fifth feature film THE CASSEROLE CLUB, critic MJ Simpson in England writes the film is: “Magnificent, another tour-de-force by the best kept secret in American cinema.”
THE CASSEROLE CLUB stars Susan Traylor, Daniela Sea, and former Backstreet Boy Kevin Richardson in his film debut. The film premiered in New York City at Visionfest`11 in June collecting 9 Independent Vision Award nominations and winning 5: Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor for Kevin Richardson, Best Actress for Susan Traylor, and Best Production Design.
Steve’s fourth feature was STUCK! (which starred Karen Black, Susan Traylor, Jane Wiedlin, and Mink Stole). The film premiered in October, 2009, at the Raindance Film Festival in London. It then screened as an official selection at Skeive Filmer in Norway, the Seattle LGBT Film Festival, the Southwest LGBT Film Festival, Reeling – Chicago’s LGBT Film Festival, and others. In March, STUCK! screened at the Boston Underground Film Festival where Mink Stole was honored with a Lifetime Achievement Award.
Balderson’s third feature film, WATCH OUT, was highly praised by critics as “One of the great cult films of all time.” WATCH OUT also premiered at Raindance to sold-out crowds, where it was nominated for Best International Feature.
Film Threat writes, Balderson “makes movies that are so gorgeous that it's not unreasonable to say that, cinematographically at least; he's the equal of an Argento or Kubrick in their prime. Some people have perfect vocal pitch, Steve has perfect visual composition.”
WATCH OUT was released theatrically in 2008 to sold-out audiences in the roadshow “Stop Turning Me On” world tour. It was released on DVD in October 2008, where it debuted at #24 on Amazon.com’s Top 100.
Roger Ebert gave Balderson's second film, the surrealist crime drama FIRECRACKER (starring Karen Black and Mike Patton) a special jury award on his list of 2005's Best Films. The breathtaking imagery in FIRECRACKER pushed through the limits of cinema, establishing Balderson as one of today’s finest visual storytellers.
Balderson’s other work includes the critically-acclaimed PHONE SEX (featuring Margaret Cho, Ron Jeremy, Penn Jillette and Lloyd Kaufman), PEP SQUAD (the satire that predicted American school violence), UNDERBELLY (a year in the life of dancer Princess Farhana) and the award-winning WAMEGO documentary series about DIY Filmmaking. If you are unfamiliar with Balderson's movies, you can rent or purchase them almost anywhere in the world.
Steve is also the subject of a book by author Joe Schaefer. In it, the author writes, “Having a dream and actually sitting down and hashing out how one will achieve it are two different things. Steve Balderson longed to be a filmmaker, so he made it happen. This writer/director/producer just may be the personification of the new American dream.”
More information about Steve Balderson can be found on his website “dikenga.com” or by searching his name on the internet.
CreditsAwards for Steve Balderson
* 2011 Visionfest - Winner Best Director Independent Vision Awards (The Casserole Club)
* 2011 Visionfest - Winner Best Picture Independent Vision Awards (The Casserole Club)
* 2011 Visionfest - Winner Production Design Independent Vision Awards (The Casserole Club)
* 2011 Visionfest - Nominee The Abe Schrager Award for Cinematography (The Casserole Club)
* 2008 Raindance Film Festival - Nominee Best International Feature (Watch Out)
* 2005 Visionfest - Winner Domani Vision Award (Firecracker)
* 2005 Visionfest - Winner Best Film (Firecracker)
* 2005 Visionfest - Winner Best Cinematography (Firecracker)
* 2005 Fantasporto - Nomination Best Film (Firecracker)
* 2004 Raindance Film Festival - Jury Prize Nomination Best Film (Firecracker)
* 2004 Fox Film Festival - Winner Best Film (Wamego: Making Movies Anywhere)
* 2004 KAN Film Festival - Winner Independent Filmmaker Award (Wamego)
* 2000 B-Movie Film Festival - Winner Killer-B Award Best Screenplay (Pep Squad)
* 2000 B-Movie Film Festival - Nomination Killer-B Best Director (Pep Squad)
* 2000 B-Movie Film Festival - Nomination Killer-B Best Picture (Pep Squad)
* 2000 B-Movie Film Festival - Nomination Killer-B Best Cinematography (Pep Squad)
* 2000 B-Movie Film Festival - Nomination Killer-B Best Editing (Pep Squad)
* 2000 B-Movie Film Festival - Nomination Killer-B Best Set Design (Pep Squad)
* 1999 Great Plains Film Festival - Best Film Nomination (Pep Squad)
* 1999 Fantasporto - Nomination Best Film (Pep Squad)
* 1998 Cannes Film Festival - World Premiere MarchÃ© du Film (Pep Squad)
As film director
* The Casserole Club (feature, 2011)
* Stuck! (feature, 2010)
* Wamego: Ultimatum (documentary feature, 2009)
* Watch Out (feature, 2009)
* Underbelly (documentary feature, 2008)
* Wamego Strikes Back (documentary feature, 2007)
* Phone Sex (feature, HD, 2006)
* Firecracker (feature, Super 35mm film, 2005)
* Wamego: Making Movies Anywhere (documentary feature, 2004)
* Pep Squad (feature 35mm film, 1998)
* Eleven Eleven (feature digital film, 1996)
* Pep Squad (feature digital film, 1995)
* By the Light of the Moon (digital feature film, 1994)
* Children of Darkness/The Vampire Lestat (digital feature film, 1993)
* Videorotica (music video, 1992)
* Bus Stop Goodbyes (video feature film, 1992)
* The Visionaries (video feature film, 1991)