||Jul 12, 2014
||Mar 21, 2013
Skai Chan Photography
Singapore, Singapore, Singapore
MM URL: http://www.modelmayhem.com/skaichan
PS: If you like my work, tips, write-up or personality, please LIKE my Facebook page at http://facebook.com/skaichanphotography to show your support and see my latest work (I can only upload 15 photos in ModelMayhem)!
The guy on my profile photo is me. It's a self taken photo, not the best, but enough to let you know whom you are going to work with. Please read my write-up below even though it's quite (actually, very) lengthy.
I'm looking for like-minded models, makeup artists, hairstylists and wardrobe/fashion designers to collaborate and create beautiful images, or to exchange ideas. I cherish friendship and my skill in both photography and internet marketing may be value-add to your portfolio and services.
..... ..... Love and availability ..... .....
I love seeing beautiful things. I love preserving moments forever through photography. I also love making people feel good and building up their confidence. Hence I love both portraiture and event photoshoot. I feel most accomplished when people prefer my photos to others that are taken by better photography gears.
I'm learning photography through the hard way - trial and error. Youtube is my teacher and I do have many consultants who can laugh and give me love...
I'm pretty lucky not just because it's my dog's name. I have a very good commercial hair and makeup artist friend, Tricia Lee, who has been guiding (plus nagging and drilling) me on models' poses and grooming, and other things, despite I have been abusing her, verbally. Unfortunately, she is very busy and has only helped two of my models with hair and makeup personally. I also have friends who have started photography earlier and are willing to share their knowledge generously without having to bribe or point knife at them.
I'm running a small tuition agency and my skill includes web designing, programming and internet marketing (such as flirting with Google). Hence, my time is flexible but hectic. I prefer shooting during weekdays. I will keep my Sunday afternoon for beach volleyball, which means you have to book me in advance for weekend photoshoot.
I don't drive because car prices in Singapore are insane. I don't have a studio.
..... ..... Portraiture photo shoot ..... .....
"You don't need to be pretty to appear in photos; you just need to appear pretty in the photos." - we will work on this together.
There are different angles that can flatter a person's looks and the photographer has to find them. When elements such as hairstyle, makeup, outfit, expression and posture are properly done, an ordinary person can look fantastic in still pictures with the help of the photographer.
Photoshoot is not restricted to only professional models and model-wannabe. Anyone who wishes to keep some good memories of themselves while they are young can do it as well. It is also for people who want to upload better looking photos into their Facebook profiles or simply to spread the love.
"Anyone can show body but not everyone can show expression."
I'm open to all portraiture themes that my equipment can support. In fact, I would love to try all genres (tasteful ones) at least once in my life. At this point of time, I'm looking forward mostly to conceptual and glamour shoot. If you have any special outfit like costume (eg. kimono, cheongsam, sailormoon), I would love you a lot.
If you are an easygoing and open-minded person who is interested in working with me, do contact me and let me know the type of photoshoot you are looking at (you have to have the outfit!). I do have ideas, be it simple or crazy ones, but if you want me to suggest the theme that may suit you, at least tell me what are your limitations and restrictions. By being "open-minded", I do not mean willingness to do nude shoot. You should be able to accept creative or weird ideas, and dare to show some skin if the theme requires.
My house is too small and messy to set up any studio and thus we will shoot at outdoor location, unless you have any indoor place to offer.
I can consider doing TFCD portrait photo shoot with nice (in character) models who can benefit my portfolio. If you are interested in working with me, please read: http://skaichanphotography.com/tfp-tfcd-photo-shoot-singapore.php for my working style.
..... ..... Event photoshoot ..... .....
Capturing great moments of lives makes me feel accomplished because it helps to "freeze" the happy time for others. I love working with people who are sporting and "crazy".
Party, ROM, graduation? You name it. I prefer taking candid shots because they look more natural and thus, I prefer working as the second photographer for events, especially for wedding.
Approach me because you like my work and not to try your luck for a cheap deal. Do visit my Facebook to look at my work first.
Please furnish me with information such as the event's purpose, venue, date and time, estimated duration, number of guests, and most importantly, your budget.
I do voluntary shooting for charity events when I'm very available. However, the event must not involve any minister who will go down to shake hands and gain the credits.
..... ..... History I'm proud of ..... .....
I started off portraiture shoot with both online and offline friends. They might not be as pretty as FHM models but they did have beautiful souls - how many "models" would work with a photographer when he did not have a portfolio (except that he would keep them entertained throughout)?
My first camera was a mirrorless camera that did not even have a hot shoe for external speedlite (flash). Most of my models shot with me without putting on any makeup during that period of time. We also had big problems with outfits. However, I was glad that I was able to produce some results despite all the limitations.
Currently, I own a full-frame camera but I'm glad I have begun with less professional equipment to know the differences.
..... ..... Contact me ..... .....
Facebook: http://facebook.com/skaichan.photography (MOST PREFERRED)
If you seriously wish to collaborate with me, send me a Facebook message so that I can look through more of your non-modelling photos as well and check out the outfits you own. Do indicate you are from ModelMayhem. Please include your availability and contact number.
P.S: Approach me me only if you like my work and working style and not because you are desperate to get new portfolio and thus you do not mind working with just any photographer. I assume there are some jokers who have been mass sending messages/tags to various photographers, including me, and ignoring replies after that.
Do note that there is a limit of 5 messages per day for normal ModelMayhem account.
I do reply all messages, except for spam and texts that I cannot understand, even if I'm not interested in collaborating with you. If you send me a message via ModelMayhem and your profile does indicate your email address, I may email you directly. Therefore please make sure the email address you have indicated is your most current one and you check your spam/bulk mail folder once in a while. Tags (non spam / mass tag) will be replied slower than messages, while Facebook messages will be most preferred.
Talented foreigners who come over to Singapore for holidays are welcome to collaborate with me. I will be excited and pleased to spend a few hours working with you if you ever come to Singapore.
Even if you are not going to collaborate with me now, you can also add me up to make friends with me and exchange ideas. I don't bite - my dog usually does the job.
Note: I don't entertain any agent or "personal assistant". I don't pay for photoshoot as I have a queue of sincere models to collaborate with; there's no point in tempting me with discounted price for nude or bikini shoot since my priority is in glamour, fashion, conceptual and event shoot. Proud people can skip me as well.
If you have read through my entire bio and seen this paragraph, you are probably the special model I'm looking for.
..... ..... Tips for Models using MM ..... .....
Hope these help a bit.
01. If you are not taking up TFCD/TFP photo shoot, set your "Compensation" to "Paid Assignments Only" instead of "Depends on Assignment" or "Any". More photographers will be irritated by you than they do to you. After all, it reflects on your intelligence in filling up a simple web form.
02. If you are not doing any type of shoot, for example, bikini, do NOT upload any photo with bikini on. This will give photographers a wrong idea even if you do not indicate "swimwear" in the "genre".
03. Provide as much information about yourself as possible; leaving fields blank will definitely reduce the chance of serious photographers finding and approaching you.
04. Bio is important! It gives people a rough idea about you and your style. It shows your seriousness about modelling. Do spend some effort in writing.
05. Do not disclose contact number in your bio unless you want to invite perverts to harass you; you can always give potential photographers (those who are not creepy) your number through message.
06. If you have to provide your email address, at least make it difficult for spam bot from collecting them. You can, for example, type like "abc at gmail dot com". If the photographer cannot figure out your actual email address from that, why bother to communicate and risk your health since you are likely to get pissed off?
07. Adding and accepting new friends will not harm you. People who are not going to collaborate with you now may do it in future. Making new friends and sharing of ideas will only help you to improve.
08. When uploading your photos, always remember "quality over quantity".
09. You should always have a website to showcase your portfolio properly. If you are not good in web stuffs, at least start a blogspot.com site - it is free anyway.
10. The "URL to site" field is free, add your portfolio or Facebook url to it!
11. There is a limit of 5 messages per day for basic account. Therefore, please be open to share your Facebook, email or Skype (in private message) when a potential photographer requests for it. Asking for an easier communication medium does not mean the person is trying to woo you. By the way, most people prefer messengers over email because of the real-time quick response. If you insist to discuss about the shoot only through email, be prepared that some photographers may be turned off due to misunderstanding - thinking that you are weird or arrogant.
12. If you are doing TFCD/TFP photo shoot, be prepared that most photographers will approach you for sexy shoot, such as bikini, lingerie or even implied nude. There are not many TFCD models who are willing to do such shoot, and thus, they may just try their luck and there is nothing wrong. Just make sure you have indicated your genre properly and state inside your bio about your restrictions.
13. If you are open to do nude shoot, you will definitely invite more perverts than other girls. If you cannot stand the harassment, try indicating "no" for "Shoot Nudes" field. You can state it inside your bio.
14. If you are going to message every photographer to sell your paid modelling services, at least read through the photographer's profile first because it can be insulting to good photographers who are receiving payments for photoshoot.
15. If you are new to modelling and do not have a portfolio, it is better for you to take up a few TFCD assignments first, unless you are doing sexy shoot, which rich "photographers" will be interested.
16. If you have uploaded only some causal photos and someone comments that you have very nice portfolio/work, obviously that person does copy-and-paste work to every girl's profile/photos.
17. Learn to judge photographers' portfolios or at least seek opinions from your more experienced photographer friend before you accept the shoot in order not to waste your time.
18. If you are open to do sexy shoot (nude, implied, topless, lingerie), do read up http://skaichanphotography.com/dangers-of-doing-sexy-photoshoot-for-female-models.php .
19. If you like these tips or my photos, do help me to LIKE my Facebook page at http://facebook.com/skaichan.photography !
Please refer to http://skaichanphotography.com/credits.php as it is more detailed over there.
Selvy Sequence #3166746
Derrick Chin & Ariel Tan (couple)
Mike Ong & Monica Weng (couple)
David Tan & Michelle Wee (couple)
Dance Channel (Dancing team)
Tisha Azmi #2617430
Michelle Low #2613399
Nikoru Nicole #2146809
Mia Manan #33324338
Oh Yong Peck
Irene Ong Meiling
KT Pham Thi Kieu Trang
Dionne Loh Xiuzhen
Constance Huang Wanling
Do refer to my portfolio (http://skaichanphotography.com/portrait-photography-singapore.php). A large number of my models don't have accounts here.
Hair & Make-up artist:
Tricia Lee (HMUA)
Evelynn Tham (HMUA)
Edel Goh (MUA)
Andrea Lai (HMUA)
Tan Sihui (Hair stylist)
Skai Chan Photography has 30726 friends.