Skai Chan PhotographyPhotographer Male Singapore, Singapore, Singapore My MM URL: http://www.modelmayhem.com/skaichan
Mayhem # 2980309
About MeThe guy on my profile photo is me. It's a self taken photo, not the best, but enough to let you know whom you are going to work with. Please read my write-up below even though it's quite (actually, very) lengthy.
I'm looking for like-minded models, makeup artists, hairstylists and wardrobe/fashion designers to collaborate and create beautiful images when I'm available, or to exchange ideas. I cherish friendship and my skill in both photography and internet marketing may be value-add to your portfolio and services.
If you like my work, tips, write-up or personality, please LIKE my Facebook page at http://facebook.com/skaichanphotography to show your support and see my latest work (I can only upload 15 photos in ModelMayhem)! Don't forget to send me a "hello" message via Facebook.
+ Love and availability
I love seeing beautiful things. I love preserving moments forever through photography. I also love making people feel good and building up their confidence. Hence I love both portraiture and event photoshoot. I feel most accomplished when people prefer my photos to others that are taken by better photography gears.
I'm learning photography through the hard way - trial and error. Youtube is my teacher and I do have many consultants who can laugh with me and give me love. Fortunately and unfortunately, I learn by making mistakes.
I'm pretty lucky not just because it's my dog's name. I have a very good commercial hair and makeup artist friend, Tricia Lee, who has been guiding (plus nagging and drilling) me on models' poses and grooming, and other things, despite I have been abusing her, verbally. Unfortunately, she is very busy and has only helped two of my models with hair and makeup personally. I also have friends who have started photography earlier and are willing to share their knowledge generously without having to bribe or point knife at them.
I'm running a small tuition agency and my skill includes web designing, programming and internet marketing (such as flirting with Google). Hence, my time is flexible but hectic. I prefer shooting during weekdays. I will keep my Sunday afternoon for beach volleyball games, which means you have to book me in advance for weekend photoshoot.
I don't drive because car prices in Singapore are insane. I don't have a studio.
+ History that I appreciate
I started doing portraiture shoot with both online and offline friends. They might not be as pretty as FHM models but they did have beautiful souls - how many "models" would work with a photographer when he did not have a portfolio (except that he would keep them entertained throughout)?
My first camera was a mirrorless camera that did not even have a hot shoe for external speedlite (flash). Most of my models shot with me without putting on any makeup during that period of time. We also had big problems with outfits. However, I was glad that I was able to produce some results despite all the limitations. I switched to a DSLR with cropped body and finally the cheapest full-frame camera I could afford. I'm glad I have begun with less professional equipments to know the differences.
I have been meeting good clients who are kind and easygoing, and have helped me in building up fund to support my photography equipments. The models I have worked with trust my character and get comfortable with me, and thus able to create natural photos.
+ Portraiture photo shoot
"You don't need to be pretty to appear in photos; you just need to appear pretty in the photos." - we will work on this together.
There are different angles that can flatter a person's looks and the photographer has to find them. When elements such as hairstyle, makeup, outfit, expression and posture are properly done, an ordinary person can look fantastic in still pictures with the help of the photographer. That means you will probably need a HMUA if you can't even do basic makeup and hairstyling.
Photoshoot is not restricted to only professional models and model-wannabe. Anyone who wishes to keep some good memories of themselves while they are young can do it as well. It is also for people who want to upload better looking photos into their Facebook profiles or simply to spread the love.
"Anyone can show body but not everyone can show expression."
I'm open to all portraiture themes that my equipment can support. In fact, I would love to try all genres (tasteful ones) at least once in my life. At this point of time, I'm looking forward mostly to conceptual and glamour shoot. If you have any special outfit like costume (eg. kimono, cheongsam, sailormoon), I would love you a lot.
If you are an easygoing and open-minded person who is interested in working with me, do contact me and let me know the type of photoshoot you are looking at (you have to have the outfit!). I do have ideas, be it simple or crazy ones, but if you want me to suggest the theme that may suit you, at least tell me what are your limitations and restrictions. By being "open-minded", I do not mean willingness to do nude shoot. You should be able to accept creative or weird ideas, and dare to show skin if the theme requires.
My house is too small and messy to set up any home studio and thus we will shoot at outdoor location, unless you have any indoor place to offer.
I do selective and limited TFCD portrait photo shoot with talented and nice (in character) models who can benefit my portfolio. If you are interested in working with me, please read: http://skaichanphotography.com/tfp-tfcd-photo-shoot-singapore.php for my working style.
+ Event photoshoot
Every photo can tell a story and I love to create the memories for everyone. Event photoshoot is interesting because impromptu things can happen any time, even though it can be very challenging. I'm excited to freeze the happy moments of life and capture the expression of subjects during event photoshoots.
Events such as ROM, wedding and birthday parties are some of the most joyous events in life. I am an affectionate person. As I indulge myself in the events, the happiness lightens up my days as well. Corporate events are usually more well-organised with activities that can drive me excitedly crazy. I rather get busy shooting throughout the entire events and thus you may see me run about during my shoot.
Since my work (tuition agency) requires me to communicate with his laptop most of the time, event shoots help to bring me out of my "cave" and meet real people (and a lot of them at one time).
"You can take charge and grab all the attention; I'm happy enough to do the same work quietly and produce better results."
Approach me because you like my work and not to try your luck for a cheap deal. Do visit my Facebook to look at my work first.
I do voluntary shooting for charity events when I'm very available. However, the event must not involve any minister who will go down to shake hands and gain the credits.
+ Web links exchange
Being a good artist is not enough if your work is not known to others. If you own a website/portfolio/blog, you may want to get more exposure for more people to find out about your artwork. Therefore, you may want to do links exchange with me.
My website currently has around 50 to 100+ hits per day and I have been actively adding new contents regularly, which will help to drive more traffics. I also do internet marketing for it.
If you are interested, do link my site at http://skaichanphotography.com before you send me a message at http://facebook.com/skaichanphotography with your url.
+ Contact me
Facebook: http://facebook.com/skaichan.photography (MOST PREFERRED)
If you seriously wish to shoot with me, send me a Facebook message so that I can look through more of your non-modelling photos as well and check out the outfits you own. Do indicate your ModelMayhem URL. Please include your availability and contact number.
P.S: Approach me only if you like my work and working style and not because you are desperate to get new portfolio and thus you do not mind working with just any photographer. There are jokers who have been mass sending messages/tags to various photographers, including me, and ignoring replies after that. There are also desperadoes who would message me without reading my profile and ask me to pay them to help them to build up their portfolios.
Do note that there is a limit of 5 messages per day for normal ModelMayhem account. I prefer using Facebook to communicate.
I do reply all messages, except for spam and texts that I cannot understand, even if I'm not interested in collaborating with you. If you were to send me a message via ModelMayhem, do include a line to tell me you don't have a Facebook account so that I won't mistake that you're someone who doesn't read. I'm likely to reply Tags slow and please don't simply say thanks for requesting or accepting as friends.
Talented foreigners who come over to Singapore for holidays are welcome to collaborate with me. I will be excited and pleased to spend a few hours working with you if you ever come to Singapore.
Even if you are not going to collaborate with me now, you can also add me up to make friends with me and exchange ideas. I don't bite - my dog usually does the job.
Note: I don't entertain any agent or "personal assistant". I have never paid for photographing models; there's no point in tempting me with discounted price for nude or bikini shoot. Proud people can skip me as well.
If you have read through my entire bio and seen this paragraph, you are probably the special (sincere and hardworking) model I'm looking for.
+ ALERT for Models Shooting in Singapore
For any trade and in any country, there will be some black sheep. Do not assume Singapore is completely safe just because the crime rate is low. Many "photographers" are trying hard to get between the legs of models.
Therefore, before you agree to shoot with a photographer who may be paying you a large sum of money, look at his portfolio and judge, and Google about him!
If you are unsure, you can contact me directly (in Facebook) and seek advice before you confirm any shoot with any photographer.
+ Tips for Models using MM
Hope these help a bit.
01. If you are not taking up TFCD/TFP photo shoot, set your "Compensation" to "Paid Assignments Only" instead of "Depends on Assignment" or "Any". More photographers will be irritated by you than they do to you. After all, it reflects on your intelligence in filling up a simple web form.
02. If you are not doing any type of shoot, for example, bikini, do NOT upload any photo with bikini on. This will give photographers a wrong idea even if you do not indicate "swimwear" in the "genre".
03. Provide as much information about yourself as possible; leaving fields blank will definitely reduce the chance of serious photographers finding and approaching you.
04. Bio is important! It gives people a rough idea about you and your style. It shows your seriousness about modelling. Do spend some effort in writing.
05. Do not disclose contact number in your bio unless you want to invite perverts to harass you; you can always give potential photographers (those who are not creepy) your number through message.
06. If you have to provide your email address, at least make it difficult for spam bot from collecting them. You can, for example, type like "abc at gmail dot com". If the photographer cannot figure out your actual email address from that, why bother to communicate and risk your health since you are likely to get pissed off?
07. Adding and accepting new friends will not harm you. People who are not going to collaborate with you now may do it in future. Making new friends and sharing of ideas will only help you to improve.
08. When uploading your photos, always remember "quality over quantity".
09. You should always have a website to showcase your portfolio properly. If you are not good in web stuffs, at least start a blogspot.com site - it is free anyway.
10. The "URL to site" field is free, add your portfolio or Facebook url to it!
11. There is a limit of 5 messages per day for basic account. Therefore, please be open to share your Facebook, email or Skype (in private message) when a potential photographer requests for it. Asking for an easier communication medium does not mean the person is trying to woo you. By the way, most people prefer messengers over email because of the real-time quick response. If you insist to discuss about the shoot only through email, be prepared that some photographers may be turned off due to misunderstanding - thinking that you are weird or arrogant.
12. If you are doing TFCD/TFP photo shoot, be prepared that most photographers will approach you for sexy shoot, such as bikini, lingerie or even implied nude. There are not many TFCD models who are willing to do such shoot, and thus, they may just try their luck and there is nothing wrong. Just make sure you have indicated your genre properly and state inside your bio about your restrictions.
13. If you are open to do nude shoot, you will definitely invite more perverts than other girls. If you cannot stand the harassment, try indicating "no" for "Shoot Nudes" field. You can state it inside your bio.
14. If you are going to message every photographer to sell your paid modelling services, at least read through the photographer's profile first because it can be insulting to good photographers who are receiving payments for photoshoot.
15. If you are new to modelling and do not have a portfolio, it is better for you to take up a few TFCD assignments first, unless you are doing sexy shoot, which rich "photographers" will be interested.
16. If you have uploaded only some causal photos and someone comments that you have very nice portfolio/work, obviously that person does copy-and-paste work to every girl's profile/photos.
17. Learn to judge photographers' portfolios or at least seek opinions from your more experienced photographer friend before you accept the shoot in order not to waste your time.
18. If you are open to do sexy shoot (nude, implied, topless, lingerie), do read up http://skaichanphotography.com/dangers-of-doing-sexy-photoshoot-for-female-models.php .
19. There are various types of scam. Do go through http://skaichanphotography.com/photography-modelling-scams.php to avoid falling for the tricks.
20. If you like these tips or my photos, do help me to LIKE my Facebook page at http://facebook.com/skaichan.photography !
+ Feedback for Your MM Profile/Photos
If you're a female model, whether a new or experienced one, you probably have many males singing praises on your photos. After you float in the air for a while, thinking that you are going to become a famous international model soon, do calm down and make some comparison with other more experienced models' photos. I have been seeing this daily in both ModelMayhem and Facebook - the model's face may not be in a flattering angle or the photo is over-processed - guys are just fighting to be the first to give ridiculously positive feedback. I also have very potential model friends who have new work weekly but most of them seem to be taken by new photographers - there's insignificant or no improvement.
The trick is that you should never get too complacent with your work no matter how guys are worshiping you like a goddess. Look at more work from others, accept critiques and never stop trying to learn more.
If you have read my writing from the top to bottom (this line), you're likely to be a sincere and hardworking person. If you're interested, we can exchange ideas about your profile and photos. You may follow the following steps if you wish to hear from me:
1. Go to my Facebook page at http://facebook.com/skaichanphotography
2. LIKE the page
3. Send me a Facebook message with your ModelMayhem profile URL and tell me what's your plan in the near future with the creating of your profile, and let me know you want some comments.
Do note that not all comments are positive and that I may overlook your message if I happen to be busy.
You can also visit http://skaichanphotography.com/faq-photography-singapore.php to find out more about interesting things about photographers.
CreditsPlease refer to http://skaichanphotography.com/credits.php for more details.
Nathalie Blue #2286271
Brian & Claudia (couple)
Leila Louise #544246
Bianca Pietersz #3418775
Chew Si Pei
April Toh #3547448
Terry & Lynwen (couple)
Joey Yan #2647190
Peter & Peiwei (couple)
Anastasia Butrim #3299349
Michael & Valerie (couple)
Selvy Sequence #3166746
Derrick Chin & Ariel Tan (couple)
Mike Ong & Monica Weng (couple)
David Tan & Michelle Wee (couple)
Dance Channel (Dancing team)
Tisha Azmi #2617430
Michelle Low #2613399
Nikoru Nicole #2146809
Mia Manan #33324338
Oh Yong Peck
Irene Ong Meiling
KT Pham Thi Kieu Trang
Dionne Loh Xiuzhen
Constance Huang Wanling
Do refer to my portfolio (http://skaichanphotography.com/portrait-photography-singapore.php). A large number of my models don't have accounts here.
Hair & Make-up artist:
Tricia Lee (HMUA)
Evelynn Tham (HMUA)
Edel Goh (MUA)
Andrea Lai (HMUA)
Tan Sihui (Hair stylist)
Lavender Artistry by Mandy Yeo (HMUA) #2470014