"A photograph is a secret about a secret. The more it tells you the less you know."- Diane Arbus
I have been creating fine art, pan-erotic photography professionally for over 30 years.
The overall theme of my work is The Essential Feminine. I explore this thesis within the context of contemporary social taboo, gender issues, fetish tradition, personal rituals and more. Each shoot seeks to examine these issues through the commentary unique to that subject. I work with both males and females in a collaborative, boundary sensitive and non-judgemental process. The sharing of their personal truth contributes the element of authenticity in our work together.
My studio protocol is very improvisational, relying on our combined intuition, spontaneity and candor. Our roles are as creative partners rather than the traditional director/model method. I consider each shoot to be a singular life event during which I seek to find the creative resonance between the subject and myself.
I typically shoot in-studio but sometimes work on location. Compensation is by commission or TFP/D, dependent upon the nature of the shoot. If you have questions, please message me for more details.
• Seattle Erotic Arts Festival...juried (2013)
• Seattle Erotic Arts Festival...juried (2012)
• Club Sesso...Recent works: Invitational/solo (2012)
• Seattle Erotic Arts Festival...juried (2011)
• Seattle Erotic Arts Festival...juried (2010)
• Club Sesso...The New Pan-Eroticism: Invitational/solo (2010)
• The Conservatory...Evolution Of A Vision: solo (2009)
• Lucid Images Gallery...Freedom through the human form: The perspectives of David Rolin and Mark Downey
• Interstate Firehouse Cultural Center...DO NORTH: Invitational (2008)
• Studio Exhibit...Then and Now-a comparative perspective (2007)
• Blue Sky Gallery...The Paul Dahlquist Collection (2007)
• Columbia College at Chicago/Museum of Contemporary
Photography...Permanent collection (acquired 2006)
• Studio Exhibit...Photographie Erotique (2006)
• Studio Exhibit...David Rolin: a 30 Year Retrospective (2004)
• Portland Art Museum...1995 Oregon Biennial Exhibition (juried)
• Corvallis Art Center...25th Annual Willamette Valley Exhibit
• Photographic Image Gallery...Reflections On A Soul (group)
• Photographic Image Gallery...The Nude Salon (group)
• Gallerie 8...Risk and Ritual (2-man)
• Gallerie 8...4th, 3rd and 2nd Annual Erotic Shows (juried)
• Gallerie 8...Luv Yer Mom (solo)
• Northwest Artist's Workshop...'89, '88, '87 and '86 Erotic (juried)
• Gallery 4141...The Tangent's Group Show
• CameraWorks Gallery...The Tangent's Group Show
• Artquake...Annual Juried Exhibit
• In Her Image Gallery...A question Of balance (group)
• Portland Center For The Visual Arts...Public Hanging (juried)
~CUPIDO Magazine, Norway (Issues N3/07, N4/07, D3/07, N5/07,
N6/07 and NC/08)
~The Oregonian..."Portrait Of The Artist"
~The Oregonian..."Behind The Veil"
~The Oregonian..."Wellwishers Swell First Thursday Crowd"
~The Oregonian..."Artquake Juror Passes Judgement"
§ I've been fortunate and pleased to work with the following MM models. They have been personable, professional and creative. I'm proud of the work we've produced together. Please feel free to contact them for references.