Forums > Critique > New Model Open to Honest Opinions

Model

Legacy

Los Angeles, California, US

As a model just starting out in the industry, I have not been critiqued enough...other than my MOM who thinks everything I do is good, lol. (Doesn't count)
Anyways, I would like to know what other experienced models and photographers have to say.  I am very open to new ideas and constructive criticism which will support my growth as a model.
I look forward to learning from you all.
Peace

Sep 07 05 03:04 am Link

Photographer

commart

Hagerstown, Maryland, US

Take off the snap shots because the stylized ones are so much more alluring and you have a lovely smile in one of them.

Art is a funny thing, referring frequently to the heroic in human aspects -- tall girls, fitness buffs, always a little larger than life -- and then too the lives of real people.  You have a real person's look, imho, and could work up commercial comp card shots in a minute.  You're also an artist's model and while one wonders, well I do anyway, how art models actually fare in business terms, there's a framework there that may suit you exquisitely.

Sep 07 05 08:31 am Link

Makeup Artist

Deirdre

New Milford, Connecticut, US

You have a great look but I couldn't figure out your interest. Commercial? Fashion? You need to decide.

Sep 07 05 11:53 am Link

Model

Legacy

TYVM for the input.  Actually, I am interested in all of the above...commercial, art, high fashion, sport, etc. 
Please explain, why do I need to decide? 
Also, because I am still new, I do not have experience in all of the different categories to know which ones I feel most comfortable doing.  In your opinion, would it hurt my career to do it all?...of course with the exception of anything trasy....

Sep 07 05 12:27 pm Link

Photographer

The Photo Chick

Fayetteville, North Carolina, US

I'm going to be very honest with you. YOu have a good look and potential, but your photos don't show it. Take off the snapshots and leave only four of the stylized ones and look for a photographer who will work with you to create a more professional look that will strengthen your portfolio in the direction you want to succeed in. If you are serious enough about it, you can do all of the categories you are interested in doing. You do have a pretty smile, though and great energy. Makes for a great model. Good luck. I will bookmark you and check back often.

Sep 07 05 12:34 pm Link

Model

angelavasquez

Murrieta, California, US

Legacy wrote:
As a model just starting out in the industry, I have not been critiqued enough...other than my MOM who thinks everything I do is good, lol. (Doesn't count)
Anyways, I would like to know what other experienced models and photographers have to say.  I am very open to new ideas and constructive criticism which will support my growth as a model.
I look forward to learning from you all.
Peace

You Have a very appealing face. However I would say that You need to work on your poses a little more frequently, for example "superhero" shot, your legs appear to far apart. You avatar I love, it conveys lots of emotion. My other favorites are Legacy, those contain lots of creativity as well as a touch of culture. You have a great face but you need better shots to really show what you can do. Im sure you wont have any trouble finding work on MM, its truly a networking dream! Good luck to you and take care! big_smile

Ciao
Angela
xoxoxoxoxoxo

Sep 07 05 12:39 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Deirdre

New Milford, Connecticut, US

Hi Legacy,
In the world of high fashion very few to almost none 5'6'' gets a second look; that's just the reality of the industry. Some people may tell you you could do runway and you can but not on the really professional catwalks. There is, however, much that you can still do that's professional. Commercial print is great, it's fun and it pays the bills. Under that there are many categories which you can easily fit into. When you shoot have a purpose in mind, for example decide in your mind the shoot is for x y or z and it's to sell a b or c; that way way you get photos with substance and not just pretty pictures. All modeling really is is promotions and sales. Hope I was a little clearer and more helpful.

Sep 07 05 04:45 pm Link

Model

Legacy

I really appreciate everyone's replies.  I feel this has been a very open and honest critique.  Thank you Deirdre for your clarity.  Yes, that is definitely more helpful. 
I do have other photos from the Legacy series.  Those are all pregnancy photos, which I personally like, but was fully aware they are not conservative enough to go into any Pregnancy Magazine.  Those were just fun to do and besides...that was officially, my absolutely first full model shoot.  I am definitely past due for another shoot...since recovering from the pregnany.  I look forward to growth and lots more experience.
Yes, please keep up with my work and feel completely free to be honest with me.  That's the only way I will get better!

Sep 07 05 06:29 pm Link

Photographer

ProShotPhoto

Bellingham, Massachusetts, US

Generally get rid of the casual shots taken by freinds at parties and in the car etc, keep the more professional looking shots, select the best in ech outfit and present the remaining 3 or 4.  The seek more professional photos, with different looks.

Sep 07 05 10:04 pm Link

Photographer

megafunk

Shot-wise, you have to start your portfolio somewhere as you have. You'll get new & improved shots soon enough to bump off the dead weight. I do agree with the majority regarding the excising of the party shot. Pet peeve of mine.

You have a good face all-around and you seem to be at ease enough to drift between hard and soft posing. That sense of ease is what attracts my eye to your shots over anything else. The wide A-frame pose ("superhero") with the casual visage contrasting with the sway of "Bodhi" and different responses during the maternity shoot show a promise of range.

Target some specific looks that you want to nail then shoot them in addition to constant shooting.

Sep 08 05 12:04 am Link

Model

Legacy

Okay, Okay, Okay...Hehe...I'll get rid of the silly party shot.  My reasons for displaying the other shots--megafunk got it--was to show my versatility.  As I get more professional looking photos, I will rid my port of the snaps. 
I have a fashion shoot this Sunday and I would love to get your comments.  I'll let you know once they've been posted.

Sep 08 05 01:36 am Link