Forums > Critique > Would like some honest feedback

Photographer

Jarek James

Atlanta, Georgia, US

My portfolio gets viewed from time to time but I rarely get comments on the work.  In order for me to carve out the right nitch for myself, I'll need some constructive criticism on what I'm doing right, what I'm not doing enough of, etc.  Here's my link.

https://modelmayhem.com/jarekjames

Thanks in advance for your time folks,
Jarek James

Sep 07 05 12:06 pm Link

Photographer

Joe Albright

Fort Wayne, Indiana, US

I really don't know what to tell you. You're doing everything right. You're use of color (even digitally) is excellent. Composition is great. And you are very good a capturing emotion.

Keep doing what your doing, do more of it. smile
Are you not satisfied?
You have more credentials than I do, I would like to hear you're critique of yourself.

Sep 07 05 12:50 pm Link

Model

angelavasquez

Murrieta, California, US

Jarek James wrote:
My portfolio gets viewed from time to time but I rarely get comments on the work.  In order for me to carve out the right nitch for myself, I'll need some constructive criticism on what I'm doing right, what I'm not doing enough of, etc.  Here's my link.

https://modelmayhem.com/jarekjames

Thanks in advance for your time folks,
Jarek James

okay To be honest I really like your work!
The only shot that Im not fond of is The bubbles shot, I think that shot throws the groove of your portfolio off. However my most favorite shots are the group shots, those are monumental! I absolutley love those! Keep up the good work! big_smile

Ciao
Angela
xoxoxoxoxo

Sep 07 05 02:19 pm Link

Photographer

Jarek James

Atlanta, Georgia, US

AlbrightCreativeImagery wrote:
I really don't know what to tell you. You're doing everything right. You're use of color (even digitally) is excellent. Composition is great. And you are very good a capturing emotion.

Keep doing what your doing, do more of it. smile
Are you not satisfied?
You have more credentials than I do, I would like to hear you're critique of yourself.

Thank you so much.  Honestly, my view of my work is... well... I think I dazzle everyone but myself.  I don't see what's so good about the pics sometimes because I see other photographers that totally blow me outta the water.  So I have something to shoot for.  And with all growing processes, you have to have some constructive criticism along the way to stay in touch with your audience/peers.

And no fair, Angela!  I like the bubble shot, lol.  But I will be adjusting the portfolio periodically.  I thank you for that comment because I actually hadn't considered the flow of my images as a whole before now.

Sep 08 05 09:12 pm Link

Photographer

tanya k

Brooklyn, New York, US

work with your posing...it's too generic and expected...try something crazy, don't be scared. the more awkward it looks in real life the better it'll look in the photo. you got the models and you're lighting is fine...just go nuts, it feels good.

Sep 09 05 03:25 am Link

Retoucher

elementsofrain

Lawrenceville, Georgia, US

I'm probably going to sound like a broken record, but I really do think you've got excellent shots there.  You really can capture the models at their best. 

If you're unsure of something what I would recommend is to do something completely different.  Something you've never done before and then compare it to what you've been doing.  Maybe you'll find something new that you'd never thought of or maybe you'll see what it was that you thought was missing.  There are so many different styles to be found on this site just look around for a good idea if you can't think of anything.

Sep 09 05 09:17 am Link

Photographer

David Nusbaum

Rochester, Minnesota, US

The overall portfolio is pretty good, so I thought I might just grab one shot to comment on. In the bubbles image is perceive an invisable diagonal line from her right hand, down through the yellow bubble wand, over her face, and then following the bubbles off the right had side of the frame. If this line highlights the interesting aspects of the image, bubble wand, face, and then bubbles, then I think you can crop the top of the frame tighter. The open space doesn't support the image because the line is from upper left to  mid right.

Perhaps a little obscure, but it caught my eye so I brought it up for discussion.

Sep 09 05 09:42 am Link

Photographer

Jarek James

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Thanks all for the insight.  I have a shoot this evening, so I'll try to tie in your responses to my ideas for the shoot.  Thanks again everyone.

Jarek James

Sep 14 05 03:01 pm Link