Forums > Critique > Which shot is better and why?

Retoucher

elementsofrain

Lawrenceville, Georgia, US

Going through a quick set that I did last weekend, I'm trying to determine which is really better of two shots.  I like them both but I prefer the second.  I think the line going through it is a HUGE detraction though.  Just looking to see what everyone else seems to think.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y36/Ch … C00024.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y36/Ch … C00025.jpg

Sep 09 05 10:52 am Link

Photographer

Cory Morhart Photo

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada

There are slight lines in the first shot also.  The lighting is just not working here. You have better stuff in your port than either of these images.

Sep 09 05 11:22 am Link

Photographer

Nicholson Photography

Columbus, Georgia, US

work on the makeup, lighting, and comp.

Sep 09 05 12:30 pm Link

Photographer

Stan Goldstein

New York, New York, US

00024 is better.

Sep 09 05 09:35 pm Link

Photographer

Rya Nell

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

Umm.. They both are in need of better lighting.  The first one is the worst for me, because of the way her tongue sticks out between her lips.  I don't think its an attractive look at all.  Looks too saliva-y.  (saliva-ish, saliva-ty,...spit-ty....)  You would do well to read some books on photography, and to practice/shoot more often.  You do have better shots.  Good luck!

Sep 10 05 05:18 am Link

Photographer

Peter Dattolo

Wolcott, Connecticut, US

The first one needs some skin tone evened out. On part of her arm it looks like there are marks from running yuor fingers thru a layer od dust on the photo before scanning it. On her face too but to me its really noticable on her arm alot more.
Maybe its just me though, thats what it looks like to me.
Photo 2 is salvagable with the shadow still in it. What i would do to salvage it is to add rain droplets like she is on the inside of a window and its raining outside.
You can use a image and add it as a layer for the rain drops. You could even PS in a light from the outside to simulate thunderstorm if you wanted.

Sep 10 05 05:49 am Link

Photographer

Peter Dattolo

Wolcott, Connecticut, US

Actualy in the first one that skin blemish is due to lighting bouncing off the mirror. Try not to have the light bounce off the mirror in the future where it is landing on the model like that. Minor detail but it shows up in the photo. That can be fixed in PS also.

Sep 10 05 05:53 am Link

Retoucher

elementsofrain

Lawrenceville, Georgia, US

Thanks so much for the advice.  I really like the look of the pictures taken with the mirror like these two both were, but it is hard to work out all of the details.  I'm going to have to keep all of this in mind the next time I try it.

Sep 11 05 10:30 am Link

Photographer

Fireflyfotography

Las Colinas, Panamá, Panama

red hair screams attitude I dont see any  your smiling in one and looking down in the next one  second one in B+W would work better

Sep 11 05 04:10 pm Link