Forums > Model Colloquy > Questions for Models with Paysites...

Photographer

J. Stakeman

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

I mostly do fashion, so I basically have no idea how this works... just "discovered" this phenomenon recently.

Who's shooting these pictures, how much are you paying for them, how much do you earn of them?  Are buying the rights? leasing them? Are these fronts for other companies, who's in charge, are models paid a percentage, flat rate, or do models pay photographers flat rates, or percentages?

On the surface it looks interesting, switching the client/provider power relationship around, or is it really just another form of exploitation?  I have no idea.. educate me

If there are any NY folks with pay sites around hit me up, I might be compelled to shoot something for free just to find out what all this is about.

j

Sep 10 05 04:58 pm Link

Photographer

Surfinbird

New York, New York, US

J-
The answer is................ :
All of the above!
:-)
Surfy

Sep 12 05 12:51 am Link

Model

Adreanna LV

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I will be starting my own paysite soon and all my photos for my site will be shot by my boyfriend, so as to avoid the whole copyright issue.

If I were to use other photographers pictures it all depends on what the photographer asks for, a percentage of sales(which I probably wouldn't do), pay him/her per image I use on the site different things like that.  It all depends though

Sep 15 05 02:04 am Link

Model

Mindy

Chandler, Arizona, US

Do they have paysites with fashion models?

Sep 21 05 02:16 am Link

Model

Samantha Grace

Los Angeles, California, US

I want to start a paysite soon. All this confuses me as well. I guess a it helps my webmaster is also a photographer, who I enjoy shooting with.

Sep 21 05 02:17 am Link

Photographer

g-man

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

I have posed similar questions in other forums, as well as asked some models with individual paysites what kind of arrangements they have.  There seemed to be no standard arrangement, and matters apparently can get quite complicated.  There was a lack of specificity in the answers I received, so I’m not very enlightened on the subject.

If a model features the work of multiple photographers on their site, being able determine how much any one photographer’s images may be contributing to success or profitability could be problematic in many cases.  This would seem to steer things towards an arrangement where the model pays for rights to use specific images.  Does a model normally pay photographers a flat fee for images, or is some formula or percentage method more common?

Sep 21 05 02:38 am Link

Photographer

soundguy

Seattle, Washington, US

There are a lot of different business models. (pun  intended wink )

Some girls pay the photogs for the sessions and that's the end of it. The girl keep all the rights to the photos. Sometimes shooters (like me) split the copyright and the photos are used on two or more sites. Sometimes the model does nothing more than pose and visit the chat room once in awhile. A photog/webdeveloper (me again) runs the whole operation and gives the model a percentage.

Kinda depends on how much work the model is willing or able to do herself.

Sep 21 05 05:36 am Link

Photographer

Chuck Espinoza

El Segundo, California, US

Are you asking about adult/nude/fetish models with paysites or psuedo maxim type sites?

I've worked with a lot of successful adult models and even those girls typically only pull in a couple G's a month. In the adult world a lot of the photographers allow the models to use the images on their pay site as the models have already signed their lives away in the model release. The photographer isn't worried that his images won't sell because they are on some model's site. (usually the model won't get copies of the images until after the session images have been sold to a magazine or other website)

some adult models use friends, boyfriends, etc... to shoot. Some TFP photogs are also willing to allow use - I'll allow it with a signed model release from a TFP shoot allowing me to use the images in any manner i choose.

As far as non-adult models trying to charge to see their fashion/maxm type portfolio. I know models who've tried only to find out that the cost and effort associated with maintaining a pay site isn't worth the gas money they hope to make on a monthly basis.

Sep 25 05 12:45 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

Chuck Espinoza wrote:
Are you asking about adult/nude/fetish models with paysites or psuedo maxim type sites?

I've worked with a lot of successful adult models and even those girls typically only pull in a couple G's a month. In the adult world a lot of the photographers allow the models to use the images on their pay site as the models have already signed their lives away in the model release. The photographer isn't worried that his images won't sell because they are on some model's site. (usually the model won't get copies of the images until after the session images have been sold to a magazine or other website)

some adult models use friends, boyfriends, etc... to shoot. Some TFP photogs are also willing to allow use - I'll allow it with a signed model release from a TFP shoot allowing me to use the images in any manner i choose.

As far as non-adult models trying to charge to see their fashion/maxm type portfolio. I know models who've tried only to find out that the cost and effort associated with maintaining a pay site isn't worth the gas money they hope to make on a monthly basis.

What Chuck said. 

I've shot paysite content in exchange for modeling for my work.  I'm not particularly good at shooting two dozen pictures in sequence, but apparently I'm good enough.  I get a release and haven't yet had to deal with any kind of commission arrangement for printed images - mostly I don't allow sale of large scans or prints.  What I get for this is a couple of images I'm happy with.  The best part of this arrangement is that the girls that have paysites aren't real shy, so erotic nudes of the type I make are usually more demure than the content they want.

-Don

Sep 25 05 01:02 pm Link