Forums > Critique > Snapshots for agencies?

Model

Spencer Fowlie

Austin, Indiana, US

Hey all... Im considering getting the pictures in my portfolio printed out and taking them, along with myself, around to some agencies in town.

Are my snapshots the kind they want or do they want something more professional?

Is it better to work with some photographers first and THEN submit photos?

Any advice, and critique, is much appreciated!

Spence.

Sep 12 05 09:31 pm Link

Photographer

JAnEmil

Copenhagen, New York, US

>Are my snapshots the kind they want or do they want something more professional?
I am new in this world myself. I have made some pictures for model portfolios. They got into the agencies with photos like the ones you have. After that they make 2-4 photo session to expand there portfolio. After that they just collect the best photos from jobs.

Sep 13 05 04:49 am Link

Model

dustin or something

New York, New York, US

they look good bro.  you got a good look. i could picture you in getting into something like GQ or something along those lines.  i would go ahead and take your shot at it.  the worst they can say is no and then you just go out and get more pics done and take them back and see what they say then.  if they say no, just give it a couple months and go back and try again.

i might be moving to NY soon.  i might be signing with a manager out there and ill have to relocate to the City or somewhere near it.  you like it up there?  you get alot of work?  any help would be cool bro.  thanks!

Sep 13 05 11:51 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Ask the agency.

But if you do use snapshots, use ones that show what you look like, not what you look like when you're hanging out with your friends.  Put on a bathing suit, stand in a place with no distracting background garbage, and get front, side, and back shots, as well as close-ups of your face straight on and in profile.  That should be a decent start.

But really, ask the agency.  They will want you to have a portfolio designed to get the work they are capable of putting you in, so if you do get professional photos done, don't be surprised if your agent doesn't want you to use any of them.

Sep 13 05 11:55 am Link

Model

April05

Chicago, Illinois, US

You can't go wrong w/professional pictures. Just get a variety, show versatility. Make sure they are very clear, alot of the pics. you have posted are blurry. Get some good headshots, & full length, & also from different angles w/different expressions. It shouldn't be hard, find a photographer who will shoot you tfp, it's good practice & experience also.

April

Sep 13 05 11:59 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Studio /Gary

Brian Diaz wrote:
Ask the agency.

But if you do use snapshots, use ones that show what you look like, not what you look like when you're hanging out with your friends.  Put on a bathing suit, stand in a place with no distracting background garbage, and get front, side, and back shots, as well as close-ups of your face straight on and in profile.  That should be a decent start.

But really, ask the agency.  They will want you to have a portfolio designed to get the work they are capable of putting you in, so if you do get professional photos done, don't be surprised if your agent doesn't want you to use any of them.

Brians right, ask the agency. Sometimes they will have this info on their web site if they have one. It all depends on the agency and the type of agency.

Sep 13 05 12:00 pm Link