Forums > Critique > Let me know what ya think

Model

centerstagegirly

Hampton, Virginia, US

Just put a couple more up a few days ago...lemme know what you think, and tell me the truth please smile  Thanks!

Sep 13 05 11:00 pm Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Truth:
You need to have the photographer edit these to correct your skin ( if he can't / won't send them to me and I will ).
Quit tweezing your eyebrows. You have close to none.

There are quite a few photos that need to go , but I'm sure Paul will be around shortly to tell you which ones.

Sep 13 05 11:19 pm Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

Envy wrote:
There are quite a few photos that need to go , but I'm sure Paul will be around shortly to tell you which ones.

Geez! wink

Ditto what Envy said.  But  I think you should also do something about those roots.  That's the problem with wanting to be blonde; it takes a lot of work to keep up.

Paul

Sep 14 05 12:20 am Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

It's a compliment Paul. wink
You tend to find things no one else would notice.

Case in point  - I would have never looked at her roots. I was a bit too distracted by the MIA eyebrows.

Also , you should consider sticking with a darker color for your hair, I think it washes you out a bit. Then again, it could be the lighting in these photos.

Sep 14 05 12:30 am Link

Model

centerstagegirly

Hampton, Virginia, US

Yeah it'd been a month since I had dyed my hair when we did this shoot, but we did it at the last minute.  And no he didn't really edit these at all for me.  And the lighting is off...normally when i dye my hair it goes well with my skin.  I look really bad with darker hair...I've tried it.  As for my eyebrows, they grow funny

Sep 15 05 01:19 am Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

centerstagegirly wrote:
Yeah it'd been a month since I had dyed my hair when we did this shoot, but we did it at the last minute.  And no he didn't really edit these at all for me.  And the lighting is off...normally when i dye my hair it goes well with my skin.  I look really bad with darker hair...I've tried it.  As for my eyebrows, they grow funny

First put the tweezers away. You are plucking them and I can tell you are from where your arch use to be. Rarely can a girl pull off the ultra thin arch for their eyebrows. You are not one of them. Continue to pluck away and you will have none.
Let them grow out and then go have them shaped by a professional. This is a $15-20 service.

Did the photographer give you a CD of the images or did he just send you these via email?

Sep 15 05 09:00 am Link

Photographer

Stan Goldstein

New York, New York, US

I go along with the ebrow comments, however an eyebrow pencil would also help.

I don't like the way the horizon bisects your head in some of the beach pics.  I'll personally redress Robb about that as soon as he gets out of the hospital.

Sep 15 05 09:19 am Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

centerstagegirly wrote:

Even beach shots need a little bit o' make-up. Don't ever touch tweezers again, let your brows grow in and get them professionally shaped. Salons do it for $7-$11. If you're not going to keep up your color, you'll need to go dark and highlight and lowlight your hair so when the roots show back up, it won't be as bad in between color jobs. This may cost a bit more, but it will look better. I think you would look better with a darker shade, honestly, with your skin tone.  THen highlight around the face for a more natural look.

Depending on where you want to take your modeling career, consider the shots in your portfolio. If you're serious, invest in a professional photo shoot complete with hair and make-up. You have good features and a good body, I think that ther is potential for some really great shots.

Sep 15 05 09:49 am Link

Model

centerstagegirly

Hampton, Virginia, US

Well I've never worn makeup in my life so I have no idea how to do it, and I don't know where to find a stylist for all of this.  And this was only my first shoot...I don't know the first thing about modeling.  And once again...my hair is usually dyed but I don't have all the money in the world to get my hair done constantly either.  Thanks for your input, I think I may be done with this biz.

And what happened to Robb???

Sep 15 05 11:48 am Link

Photographer

Rya Nell

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

Yep.  What everybody else said. 

A lot of girls these days think their eyebrows need to be trimmed almost as much as their hair.  Not true.  Eyebrow hair takes much much longer to grow.  Don't be an obssessive complusive or you'll end up w/ bald eye brows and have to paint your eyebrows on with make up (and that looks Horrible in my opinion).

These are good first time shots. Be proud and don't take these critiques in a negative way.  You shouldn't be discouraged, but rather realize that these things take time to learn.  You've got potential to grow.

Sep 15 05 12:08 pm Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

centerstagegirly wrote:
Well I've never worn makeup in my life so I have no idea how to do it, and I don't know where to find a stylist for all of this.  And this was only my first shoot...I don't know the first thing about modeling.  And once again...my hair is usually dyed but I don't have all the money in the world to get my hair done constantly either.  Thanks for your input, I think I may be done with this biz.

Browse/ Makeup Artist / Virgina
Seek one wanting to do TFP.

You will need to learn basic makeup tips regardless. Othwerwise your photos are always going to bland and rather unappealing.

Don't know the first thing about modeling? Google is your best friend. Use it.

The advice and critisim here is given to you as help. Not to bash you. If you see this as such then yes, you need to consider another line of work. I don't post my work for critique .. yet. I know there's areas I have to work on.

I want a Porche. I can't afford the maintence. Therefore, I drive a damn Honda Civic.
If you can't afford to keep your hair maintained then you need to color it back to it's natural state.

Sep 15 05 01:07 pm Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

centerstagegirly wrote:

I didn't mean to offend you. You asked for comments and help and we were honest. It's not meant to drive you from this business. Take it all in stride. All models should know how to do their own make-up. At least a basic look. If you don't know how, go to your local department store counter and get help. For the price of a tube of lipstick, the Clinique girls will hook you up. If you tell them what you want to do, most will offer to do your make-up for free in their off time for a few pics for their book. And as a model as well, you have to show your best face... and hair. If you can't maintain your style, find a simpler, less expensive style to maintain. If you color your own hair, it's like $8/box.

No one says you need to be rich to be in this business, but as with anything, it takes a little bit of money to make money. If you want a second opinion, take your snapshots to your local modeling agency, who will love you on sight, cause you have potential, then listen to them tell you what you need to do before you come back.

Again, I apologize if I hurt your feelings. That's what happens when you ask.

Sep 15 05 01:24 pm Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

Nello Ryan wrote:
Yep.  What everybody else said. 

A lot of girls these days think their eyebrows need to be trimmed almost as much as their hair.  Not true.  Eyebrow hair takes much much longer to grow.  Don't be an obssessive complusive or you'll end up w/ bald eye brows and have to paint your eyebrows on with make up (and that looks Horrible in my opinion).

These are good first time shots. Be proud and don't take these critiques in a negative way.  You shouldn't be discouraged, but rather realize that these things take time to learn.  You've got potential to grow.

My eyebrows grow almost immediately after I pluck them....

Sep 15 05 01:25 pm Link

Model

centerstagegirly

Hampton, Virginia, US

Nah it's not that you hurt my feelings, I'm just new to all this, and I appreciate your opinions.  I just wanted a basic opinion of my look in general...like if I had the makeup and the hair and all, do i have potential?  I know that's a hard question to answer if I don't have photos to show with my makeup and hair done so I guess that doesn't make sense.  Anyway, thanks for all your opinions.  Much appreciated

Sep 15 05 01:54 pm Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

To answer your question, yes I think you have potential. But, you need to clean your look up a bit.
If you want to stock up on makeup / beauty supplies and you're on a budget go to Walgreens. They have huge clearances on makeup and just about any other beauty need you can imagine. Lotions, facial masks, toners, hair color, ect.
Also if you have a Sally's beauty supply near you go and buy their dicount card. It's $5 here for a year. You get huge discounts on stuff even if it's on sale. Mine always pays for itself the first time I use it.

Sep 15 05 11:07 pm Link

Photographer

glamourmedia

Dallas, Georgia, US

For crying out loud, if you are anywhere close to Dallas we do all of that for you. I stand by my philosophy it is always the photographer's fault.

Sep 15 05 11:37 pm Link