Forums > Critique > artistic bodypainting

Body Painter

Bare Beauty Bodypaint

Gardner, Massachusetts, US

Ok everybody I want your honest opinions of my art. Constructive critisism only please. If you think my art sucks or if you think it rocks please let me know. Thanks

Jan 21 07 03:28 pm Link

Body Painter

BodyPainter Rich

Sacramento, California, US

The first thing I noticed about your work is the photos, you could use better photos.

Also, while you ahve some decent ideas, much of your work seems rushed. Slow it down, work the details a bit more concentrate on the little things that help make illusion work.

Lastly, with your art and with the photos...and this is something I'm working on as well. You could use more emotional connection. I look and say "neat, bodypaint" but nothing in the poses or expressions or artwor stops me in the tracks and makes me connect. I'm not sure how to express this better right now, but I hope it helps.

~Rich

Jan 21 07 04:11 pm Link

Photographer

Caspers Creations

Kansas City, Missouri, US

BodyPainter Rich wrote:
The first thing I noticed about your work is the photos, you could use better photos.

Also, while you ahve some decent ideas, much of your work seems rushed. Slow it down, work the details a bit more concentrate on the little things that help make illusion work.

Lastly, with your art and with the photos...and this is something I'm working on as well. You could use more emotional connection. I look and say "neat, bodypaint" but nothing in the poses or expressions or artwor stops me in the tracks and makes me connect. I'm not sure how to express this better right now, but I hope it helps.

~Rich

I'd just suggest that you listen to Rich.  He's the best around.

Jan 21 07 04:15 pm Link

Model

Roethke

Long Beach, California, US

You really need some better photos and locations.

The first thing that comes to mind when I see your pctures is that they look unfinished.  The body is done, but then in most of them the hair is just pulled up in a scrunchy, or it's color makes no sense with the painted costume.  Maybe the model didn't want her blonde hair dyed so she'd look like a more believable tiger, but then maybe she shouldn't have been a tiger to begin with if the finished work ultimately will look incomplete.

Rich being the resident body painter, I'd suggest taking a look at his photos.  All of the models look suited to the character he chose for them, and no detail was overlooked.  The "leopard" looks the part from head to foot.

Jan 21 07 07:12 pm Link

Model

Pamela Love

Cedar Hill, Missouri, US

The red sox outfit is probly(in my opinion) the best one.

Jan 21 07 08:33 pm Link

Model

Curare

Chicago, Illinois, US

Well I definitly think your heading in the right direction.  I think some of the lingerie paintings could use more attention to detail, like the frills and laces, and painting in some light shadowing would make it look more realistic, especially if your painting a shirt that's suppose to be loose, like the red sox one.  I think the best one is the girl with that really detailed black lingerie, now that's good ^_^

Jan 21 07 08:52 pm Link

Body Painter

Eric Mayhem

Seattle, Washington, US

I like your work.  I agree with what's been said above, think about backdrops, locations, shadow lines, and photography.  (These are all problems that I'm working on, too:-).  And props help too, like the baseball bat.

What kind of paint are you using?

Jan 21 07 09:05 pm Link

Model

Bliss Kelley

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

The quality of the pictures arent too good, but i personally think that the red sox outfit is the best too, although i hate the red sox

Jan 21 07 09:11 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Felicia Bromba

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I think you have some great ideas but need better pics to showcase your work. Your two girls with the blue, and the clouds one, are great. But As said above, Slow down and take the time. I'd love to see more abstract patterning from you, maybe some mesh paterns/Lace work as appose to the basic color 'shirts' I see. Also maybe some cotton batton/space themes just to jazz up the port a bit. Over All, you do get work. Keep it up smile

Cheers,
Felicia

Jan 21 07 09:16 pm Link

Photographer

jasontheartist

West Palm Beach, Florida, US

make sure that the painting isnt standing alone, put it into a composition with background and props etc. The biggest artistic tip I can give you is to make sure your drop shadows are visible so the "clothing" looks like its setting on the skin, the most evident piece is the wonder woman, it needs drop shadows to make it look like the painted on things are real.

Jan 21 07 09:18 pm Link

Body Painter

Bare Beauty Bodypaint

Gardner, Massachusetts, US

Eric P wrote:
I like your work.  I agree with what's been said above, think about backdrops, locations, shadow lines, and photography.  (These are all problems that I'm working on, too:-).  And props help too, like the baseball bat.

What kind of paint are you using?

I use Kryolan aquacolor and Mehron liquid makeup for most of my bodypaintings. I tried using Badger for a few but I just didn't like the results.

And also replying to everybody else. I do realize the quality of the photos is the main draw back. I have done half of the photography myself and needless to say I'm a hell of a lot better at painting than photography. I have been working with a few professional photographers lately but their pictures are still getting the same reaction except for one. Does everyone basically agree that the, Asian Innocense pic of mine is one of the best looking photography wise? If so I may stick with that photographer.

Jan 22 07 03:31 am Link

Body Painter

BodyPainter Rich

Sacramento, California, US

AerickkcireA Bodyart wrote:

I use Kryolan aquacolor and Mehron liquid makeup for most of my bodypaintings. I tried using Badger for a few but I just didn't like the results.

And also replying to everybody else. I do realize the quality of the photos is the main draw back. I have done half of the photography myself and needless to say I'm a hell of a lot better at painting than photography. I have been working with a few professional photographers lately but their pictures are still getting the same reaction except for one. Does everyone basically agree that the, Asian Innocense pic of mine is one of the best looking photography wise? If so I may stick with that photographer.

While I think the asian innocence pic is definately your strongest, it is still not really strong. IF that's what you can manage, OR if you have a great working relationship with that photographer than go for it as a team. If you don't work wonderfully together, though, keep on the lookout for someone else to work with who maybe has a bolder style to compliment the bold pallette it seems you are likely to use. There are many photographers out there who would like the creative challenge of working with a bodypaint artist.

Jan 22 07 09:45 am Link

Body Painter

Eric Mayhem

Seattle, Washington, US

AerickkcireA Bodyart wrote:
I have been working with a few professional photographers lately but their pictures are still getting the same reaction except for one.

The wrong lighting will screw up the best of body paintings.  I suggest choosing the photographer that has the best understanding of lighting and colors.

Jan 22 07 07:30 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Sophie R

Paris, Île-de-France, France

Like Rich said, most of your work seems rushed. The areas covered in one solid color are not homogenous, you can see brush strokes sometimes.

If the photographer you are working with is not ready to wait for the necessary amount of time for a good bodypainting, then find another one.

Jan 23 07 07:10 am Link