Forums > Critique > Alaskan Photographer seeking feedback

Photographer

Chas Della Silva

BOISE, Idaho, US

I know you Guys & Gals have your act together the question is do I?

Sep 14 05 08:12 am Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

I assume that's your daughter.  Cute pics but they don't add anything to your port.  I'd get rid of them.  The "portfolio" shot doesn't even look like it's been cropped and you have the chair rail running through her head.  The "something hot" shot is out of focus and poorly lit.  The one next to it is just poorly lit.

Time for some study.  Pick up a few books on portrait photography and study them.  And study the ports here.  There's a lot to learn.

Paul

Sep 14 05 08:49 am Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

Cute little girl and sexy model, but the 2 don't go together.

This site is geared more towards actual fashion and glamour models, so change your work to portraits and images of the like.

Work on your focal technique and change the aperture settings to your camera to compensate for the light.

Experiment with your light meter and DOF.

This is a great site to pick up tips and techniques.

Sep 14 05 08:59 am Link

Photographer

usedfilm

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Chasgraphics wrote:
I know you Guys & Gals have your act together the question is do I?

First... most of us around here don't quite have our act together yet.  We are all in varying degrees of preparedness.  Second, you don't have your's together either. 

As other posters have mentioned, you have a beautiful daughter but her images placed with half naked home town honeys do not a portfolio make.  The more "modeling" type of images all lack one key element and that is the quality of your light.  The light sucks.  You'll be far better off starting with window light and a reflector right now until you can "see" good light.

I agree with Paul in that it is time for study more than shooting for you.  Get a book on simple portraits without lighting and work on one thing.  Move to the next when you grasp the first one.

And what I always ask... What is your final goal?  What is your mountain top?  Are you wanting to shoot spreads for national magazines?  Or do you want to shoot books for local upcoming models?  What are you trying to accomplish?

Cheers,
Zack

Sep 14 05 10:09 am Link

Photographer

Chas Della Silva

BOISE, Idaho, US

Thanks I needed this and will be updating and READING!

Sep 14 05 11:56 am Link