Forums > Critique > Honest and constructive thoughts sought

Photographer

TheLeicaGuy

Springfield, Massachusetts, US

Hi. I am Jack Silver. I shoot glam. I shoot erotica. I shoot flowers.

I could use some constructive criticism on my work.

Please look at the stuff I have posted in my profile.

Feel free to comment on the photos or in this forum.

Your feedback is GREATLY appreciated.

Seriously.

Thanks.

Sep 14 05 08:20 am Link

Photographer

commart

Hagerstown, Maryland, US

Photography is an arm of manufacturing and the photographer a kind of machine that cranks out . . . something.  There's an order of build that goes something like this:

--Technical facility;
--Literary accuity;
--Productivity in trade;
--Significant contribution.

If we were talking about music and transposing the statement to some character, it might go like this:

--Reads music;
--Plays country;
--Works in a bar band;
--Has a recording contract and is at work on an album.

It turns out you've got that basic sweep, so what you may need is an additional layer of challenge in the "significant contribution" domain.  After all, you haven't yet listed the volumes you have placed with Taschen.

My basic comment is that commenting on your photography would be absolutely worthless.  You know what you're doing; you have a developed niche.  What you don't have today is greatness, and I think you can work on that consciously and deliberately as well as by letting it happen, as it may, through natural career evolution.  Art also speaks through its artists--there's a part with which the human cannot be credited but rather God, fate, or nature depending on the artist's own philosophies.

Whatever the historical sources of your inspiration, and you should have some, revisit those artists, deal yourself a project that reinvents a part of the traditions of your chosen genre, and have at it.  Work with folios in mind.  Produce the book the publisher's editor fights to have printed.

Sep 14 05 08:51 am Link