Forums > Critique > crit on the design of my site

Photographer

Nicholson Photography

Columbus, Georgia, US

i would like to get some feedback on what people think of the design of my website.

im not trying to promo it, i just want to know what works and what doesnt.

http://www.urbanassaultphotography.com

Sep 14 05 09:59 am Link

Photographer

usedfilm

Atlanta, Georgia, US

The design is superb.  Very clean.  The gallery navigation is a pain though.  Clicking the little circles and the slot machine esque rotation of images is not very straightforward.  I do like the ability to click on an image to see a larger version in a new window.  Overall I love it.  It is just the gallery nav that is sort of pesky.

Cheers,
Zack

Sep 14 05 10:12 am Link

Photographer

Nicholson Photography

Columbus, Georgia, US

yeah i was trying to play around with some different ways you can mix the images, make it a little interactive. i didnt want to go over the top with my flash, site that depend all on flash drive me up the wall.

Sep 14 05 10:15 am Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I like the design overall and the fact your bio doesn't dribble on endlessly. Huge plus.
Navigation is simple until you get to the part where you click on the o's to see more of your port.
While I found it in .5 seconds someone else will likely not know it's purpose. I only say this since I do web design on the side and I almost always have to  edit my navigation due to peoples inability to look for it. Trust me people will get confused by it.  smile

On another note , I enjoyed looking at the rest of your work, it's gorgeous of course.

Sep 14 05 10:15 am Link

Photographer

Yuriy

Gillette, New Jersey, US

I love the little "O"s in the gallery, but that will indefinetily confuse some people.
I also think it's great that you have a nuetral color background as to not distract the viewer from you portfolio (or website for that matter).
I do however think you should create different directories in you portfolio based on your market (Ex. Have Portrature instead of +1, or Abstract instead of +47, etc.).

Overall it's very nice. Makes me wish I would finish mine lol.

Sep 14 05 11:12 am Link

Photographer

Nicholson Photography

Columbus, Georgia, US

i love super clean lines and just a sharp looking site.

Sep 14 05 02:27 pm Link

Photographer

Nicholson Photography

Columbus, Georgia, US

thats all you guys got?

Sep 16 05 08:25 am Link

Makeup Artist

Tracey Masterson

Shelton, Connecticut, US

What I like:
The color and the feel.  Very modern.  Very clean.
Enlarging the port shots in a new window.
Your email is clickable on the first page.
Menu is easy to find and read.

What I don't like so much:
Yes, navigating the portfolio is very frustrating.  I think the idea is very cool.  But the execution is not.
Your bio doesn't read with a good flow.  I would prefer to just see a list of credits and a small blurb about where you are what your style is.
I don't want to have to download a resume'.

Sep 16 05 08:32 am Link

Photographer

Philly-Creative1

Philadelphia, Mississippi, US

Your resume should definately appear as text on the site, with a link to download the pdf at the bottom if the viewer wants to.

Making the person download it just to see it will cause many people to skip it all together.

But very nice and clean overall...

Sep 16 05 08:40 am Link

Photographer

Nicholson Photography

Columbus, Georgia, US

lol yeah, i just havent put together my resume. but, point well taken.

Sep 16 05 10:05 am Link

Photographer

Steven Stone Photo

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Hey, I really dig the design - very clean and contemporary...
The only negative thing I have to say is regarding the "about me" section...
Just a little cheesy.
If it's workin' for you, roll with it, but if it were me, I'd just make it a client list with contact info, rather than the whole "I like long walks on the beach" thing.
But, whateva'.  I'm just being nitpicky.  Overall, I think it kicks ass.

Sep 16 05 07:26 pm Link

Photographer

The Art of CIP

Long Beach, California, US

Great design...  It's clean, easy to read, and functional...  The navigation is good (specifically the single page as opposed to multiple pages)...  It holds up to the 10 second rule...  That is to say - within ten seconds you can navigate the site - no flashy animation, no super special efx - it's just good clean design that leads the viewer to your work...

Sep 16 05 07:40 pm Link

Photographer

ProShotPhoto

Bellingham, Massachusetts, US

Very pretty but inefficient.

It is a great looking site and the concept is super but for thenessiseisty of tediously clicking to get different galleries and images. 

I prefer something more efficient and think it is considerate to respect peoples time within the design and inconsiderate to force them to spend too long a period of time time getting at what they are after.

Sep 16 05 07:54 pm Link