Jen

Chicago, Illinois, US

so many new pics... rip me apart, guys!

Sep 15 05 01:24 am Link

Photographer

MyPhotos217798

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Ok here we go:  Take all of this as constructive and as my opinion! smile

The top row of photos I really dislike because of the soft soft focus or post processing done.  They are just to soft for me.  Top row "totally sweet" your arm behind you looks like its cut off.  I'm a BIG FAN of not chopping limbs off, it does work sometimes but rare.

I also do not like to see your shadow on the backgrounds.

"Ive got a green tint"  This almost works, I'd like to see your hands in the photo and your facial expression to be more relaxed.

"Yeah tractor" is pretty nice, but you need a little more light on your face around your eyes so we can see them better.  This exact same shot with better face lighting and dropping the photo lower to see your other hand that got cut off should be a real winner.

Sep 15 05 05:57 am Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

The only ones I see that are halfway decent are the ones in the purple tights and the photographer used the wrong lens, particularly on the 2nd one.  At least you have some makeup on.

Paul

Sep 15 05 06:32 am Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

Hon, you asked for it. I am agreeing with Paul about the ones that are good for your portfolio being the ones in tights.

Not that the other pictures aren't okay pics of you, but  - you just have to figure what will help you get work by having in your portfolio.

If you decide that you are serious about this as a business, look up other model's work that are getting work and check out their portfolios. Compare them to yours and see where you need to improve. Sometimes,  you may have to pay for it to get it, but it will be worth it to you when you start to generate interest from other professionals.

Goof luck, hon..

Sep 15 05 07:12 am Link

Photographer

commart

Hagerstown, Maryland, US

A little short for high fashion but you've got them modeling bones, so potential "order of build" your next time on film:

Atmosphere--location, lighting, context, and story.  The studio seamless shots struck me as dark and ill-edited, but of all, they were the most inviting in the way of interest.

Wardrobe (styling and makeup)--get something in front of the lens visually and inherently beguiling, enjoyable, interesting.  Your portfolio has a few such items but it's up to the model and photographer to breath life into them.

Animation--activity, action, expression.  I think the actor part of modeling the most interesting because at this point, you have a scene, some kind of story concept, and wardrobe: what happens next gets caught on film.  So: what does happen next?

Post-production: no dirt, dust, scratches on anything unless deliberately distressed for effect.  Some of the virtues (but not rules--creative freedom should let you blur when you feel like it):

--Clean, bright, tack sharp.  Know the standard and then, if you must, shoot dirty, dark, and fuzzy. roll

--Interest, mystery, sensibility, sensuality, etc.  What in the picture makes the picture?  Is it the moment, the model's expression, the threads, the scene, the light?  Whatever: the pictures you want are the ones that draw your viewer into them.  That's just showbiz reduced to a still photograph, no different than the first sentence of a novel, the opening sequence in a film, the statement in a piece of music.

Punch it up, kick it up, amplify -- whatever it is, give it energy.

Sep 15 05 07:29 am Link

Photographer

Nicholson Photography

Columbus, Georgia, US

time to pay for a photographer

Sep 15 05 08:13 am Link

Model

Reds

New York, New York, US

I just looked at all your pictures, and I still feel like i have no idea what you look like. The pictures are all too blurry, or oddly posed. You've got a very distinct face, but these pictures make you look very average and forgettable (sorry! you asked!) You need some pics that really focus (no pun intended wink on you, and show you off. I don't think you need to pay for a photographer...there are a lot of amazing photographers out there that will be willing to shoot you for free...cause you've got a unique look for their portfolios. Just find one that knows how to shoot women.

Sep 15 05 11:06 am Link

Model

Jin

Martinsburg, West Virginia, US

You  need to find which angles you look best in.  The ones in your port don't do anything for you.  I agree with everyone else.  Also, try to get better and more really good headshots.  I had that problem for the longest time.  In fact, I just recently got some of my best headshots about 4 months ago. 

My advice...find a good photographer (who doesn't use blur) who can bring out your BEST features, put you in your BEST poses, and has good lighting.  Try to find a MUA that will do a TFP and get some good headshots.  Try not to do the same poses over and over.  You can't look uncomfortable in your poses.  Everybody will sense it and see it.  Look like you actually enjoy modeling and that you KNOW you're beautiful.

Sep 15 05 11:17 am Link

Photographer

Rya Nell

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

Nicholson Photography wrote:

Chuckles...

Sep 15 05 12:11 pm Link

Model

Jen

Chicago, Illinois, US

thanks for the tips guys!  one thing though - you don't need to apologize for the critiquing (is that spelled right?)!  i know it's not meant personally.  :-)  thanks again!

Sep 15 05 03:11 pm Link

Model

Jen

Chicago, Illinois, US

Nicholson Photography wrote:

easier said than done, my man.

Sep 15 05 03:11 pm Link

Model

Jen

Chicago, Illinois, US

Reds wrote:
I just looked at all your pictures, and I still feel like i have no idea what you look like. The pictures are all too blurry, or oddly posed. You've got a very distinct face, but these pictures make you look very average and forgettable (sorry! you asked!) You need some pics that really focus (no pun intended wink on you, and show you off. I don't think you need to pay for a photographer...there are a lot of amazing photographers out there that will be willing to shoot you for free...cause you've got a unique look for their portfolios. Just find one that knows how to shoot women.

what would you suggest for having a photo that really shows what i look like?  less blurry and a simpler pose?

Sep 15 05 03:26 pm Link

Model

Jen

Chicago, Illinois, US

properlyexposed wrote:
Ok here we go:  Take all of this as constructive and as my opinion! smile

The top row of photos I really dislike because of the soft soft focus or post processing done.  They are just to soft for me.  Top row "totally sweet" your arm behind you looks like its cut off.  I'm a BIG FAN of not chopping limbs off, it does work sometimes but rare.

I also do not like to see your shadow on the backgrounds.

"Ive got a green tint"  This almost works, I'd like to see your hands in the photo and your facial expression to be more relaxed.

"Yeah tractor" is pretty nice, but you need a little more light on your face around your eyes so we can see them better.  This exact same shot with better face lighting and dropping the photo lower to see your other hand that got cut off should be a real winner.

aww, but i look so cute with raccoon eyes!  lol... thanks for the advice.  :-)

Sep 15 05 03:26 pm Link

Model

Jen

Chicago, Illinois, US

commart wrote:
A little short for high fashion but you've got them modeling bones, so potential "order of build" your next time on film:

Atmosphere--location, lighting, context, and story.  The studio seamless shots struck me as dark and ill-edited, but of all, they were the most inviting in the way of interest.

Wardrobe (styling and makeup)--get something in front of the lens visually and inherently beguiling, enjoyable, interesting.  Your portfolio has a few such items but it's up to the model and photographer to breath life into them.

Animation--activity, action, expression.  I think the actor part of modeling the most interesting because at this point, you have a scene, some kind of story concept, and wardrobe: what happens next gets caught on film.  So: what does happen next?

Post-production: no dirt, dust, scratches on anything unless deliberately distressed for effect.  Some of the virtues (but not rules--creative freedom should let you blur when you feel like it):

--Clean, bright, tack sharp.  Know the standard and then, if you must, shoot dirty, dark, and fuzzy. roll

--Interest, mystery, sensibility, sensuality, etc.  What in the picture makes the picture?  Is it the moment, the model's expression, the threads, the scene, the light?  Whatever: the pictures you want are the ones that draw your viewer into them.  That's just showbiz reduced to a still photograph, no different than the first sentence of a novel, the opening sequence in a film, the statement in a piece of music.

Punch it up, kick it up, amplify -- whatever it is, give it energy.

:-)  thanks!  i've always had a problem with expressions... is there some trick to it??  i know i should probably take some sort of acting class, but it's too much money for right now... any tips on how to get a perfect facial expression?

Sep 15 05 03:30 pm Link

Model

Jen

Chicago, Illinois, US

Venus wrote:
You  need to find which angles you look best in.  The ones in your port don't do anything for you.  I agree with everyone else.  Also, try to get better and more really good headshots.  I had that problem for the longest time.  In fact, I just recently got some of my best headshots about 4 months ago. 

My advice...find a good photographer (who doesn't use blur) who can bring out your BEST features, put you in your BEST poses, and has good lighting.  Try to find a MUA that will do a TFP and get some good headshots.  Try not to do the same poses over and over.  You can't look uncomfortable in your poses.  Everybody will sense it and see it.  Look like you actually enjoy modeling and that you KNOW you're beautiful.

:-)  working on the mua part.  thanks for the advice!

Sep 15 05 03:31 pm Link

Model

Jen

Chicago, Illinois, US

DawnElizabeth Moderator wrote:
Hon, you asked for it. I am agreeing with Paul about the ones that are good for your portfolio being the ones in tights.

Not that the other pictures aren't okay pics of you, but  - you just have to figure what will help you get work by having in your portfolio.

If you decide that you are serious about this as a business, look up other model's work that are getting work and check out their portfolios. Compare them to yours and see where you need to improve. Sometimes,  you may have to pay for it to get it, but it will be worth it to you when you start to generate interest from other professionals.

Goof luck, hon..

Paul Ferrara wrote:
The only ones I see that are halfway decent are the ones in the purple tights and the photographer used the wrong lens, particularly on the 2nd one.  At least you have some makeup on.

Paul

thanks guys.  :-)  i appreciate the honesty and comments.

Sep 15 05 03:35 pm Link

Photographer

commart

Hagerstown, Maryland, US

:-)  thanks!  i've always had a problem with expressions... is there some trick to it??  i know i should probably take some sort of acting class, but it's too much money for right now... any tips on how to get a perfect facial expression?

There are two fundamental ways to direct expression, assuming one has a script.  smile  :  provide an emotional cue and let the actor work with that or provide a physical instruction that leads the model to mimic the expression wanted.

Emotional cues may be used in two ways: internalized and acted out (cooperative) or proposed and responded to (combative).  Either way, an actor may be asked to experience something, in pretend, that doesn't exist and do so in any absolutely convincing way.  Each medium -- live performance, film, film stills -- has its own conventions as regards the amplification, intensity, and other aspects contributing to the projection of emotion ("Try it again -- with feeling!"  ) . 

Expressive talent's an odd thing in that much of what eventually elicits a "wow" develops out of sight of the audience and over a time span that may even be out of reach of the artist himself.  Best bet: see what you can do -- speak it, move around it -- with a poem or story.  Go dancing somewhere and shake it.  smile  If it feels weird, disinhibit and try it again.  Go back.  Memorize the poem or passage.  If it's a dramatic thing, make it comic; if comic, lend it weight.  Give yourself about six weeks to find out whether you're going to be a block of wood or a finely milled piece of scrollwork.  (Is that even a word . . . scrollwork? -- It's late; I've been shooting; I'm tired: forgive).

No matter what you do, a lot, to be fair, will depend on the photographer's ability to work conceptually and direct you.  I don't think we have to be all that special to do that, but there's more involved than buttons and wires. 

Best comparison: perhaps dance partners--dance is intimate and public at the same time; dances are led with signals and routines known by both partners; there's an improvisational chemistry -- okay, flirting -- that can be difficult with some and an out and out joy with others; nothing (flirtatious, romantic) need leave the floor (or bar) -- there's that make-believe  in it; it has aesthetics too--some costuming, lighting, cultural authenticity and put-on, and, of course, music; also scripting (choreography), direction, instruction, and language.  It's quite an art.

I'm going to stop short of suggesting that if you can dance, you can model, but if you're a model who enjoys dancing, you're probably be a better model for it.

Sep 15 05 08:32 pm Link

Model

Jen

Chicago, Illinois, US

commart wrote:

There are two fundamental ways to direct expression, assuming one has a script.  smile  :  provide an emotional cue and let the actor work with that or provide a physical instruction that leads the model to mimic the expression wanted.

Emotional cues may be used in two ways: internalized and acted out (cooperative) or proposed and responded to (combative).  Either way, an actor may be asked to experience something, in pretend, that doesn't exist and do so in any absolutely convincing way.  Each medium -- live performance, film, film stills -- has its own conventions as regards the amplification, intensity, and other aspects contributing to the projection of emotion ("Try it again -- with feeling!"  ) . 

Expressive talent's an odd thing in that much of what eventually elicits a "wow" develops out of sight of the audience and over a time span that may even be out of reach of the artist himself.  Best bet: see what you can do -- speak it, move around it -- with a poem or story.  Go dancing somewhere and shake it.  smile  If it feels weird, disinhibit and try it again.  Go back.  Memorize the poem or passage.  If it's a dramatic thing, make it comic; if comic, lend it weight.  Give yourself about six weeks to find out whether you're going to be a block of wood or a finely milled piece of scrollwork.  (Is that even a word . . . scrollwork? -- It's late; I've been shooting; I'm tired: forgive).

No matter what you do, a lot, to be fair, will depend on the photographer's ability to work conceptually and direct you.  I don't think we have to be all that special to do that, but there's more involved than buttons and wires. 

Best comparison: perhaps dance partners--dance is intimate and public at the same time; dances are led with signals and routines known by both partners; there's an improvisational chemistry -- okay, flirting -- that can be difficult with some and an out and out joy with others; nothing (flirtatious, romantic) need leave the floor (or bar) -- there's that make-believe  in it; it has aesthetics too--some costuming, lighting, cultural authenticity and put-on, and, of course, music; also scripting (choreography), direction, instruction, and language.  It's quite an art.

I'm going to stop short of suggesting that if you can dance, you can model, but if you're a model who enjoys dancing, you're probably be a better model for it.

wow... thanks!

Sep 15 05 09:27 pm Link