Forums > Critique > New "McKenzie" Beach pics....

Photographer

i c e c o l d

Fort Myers, Florida, US

I had the pleasure of working with McKenzie (MM#577) for the second time now. It was a mad dash down the beach but we just managed to catch the setting sun. Not bad for both off us trying to catch or breath.

So I  just posted 4 new pics (the first 4, top row) from our outing and would appreciate any comments, good or bad. Let me know what you guys and girls think.

Thanks

Sep 15 05 05:58 pm Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

#'s 1 & 4 are good.  You under-exposed #2 and the pose in #3 is awful.

Paul

Sep 15 05 07:01 pm Link

Photographer

Justin N Lane

Brooklyn, New York, US

I'm not a fan of bikini shots because 90% of them lack originality...and there isn't anything new here...each one has her sticking her breasts out and arching her back.  One thing though, just because something is dark, doesn't mean it's underexposed (I'm seeing a full tonal range through everything, no clipping)... I actually like how dusky the sky is in that shot, given a better pose I think it would be more striking than the other 3.

Sep 15 05 08:00 pm Link

Photographer

Tropical Photography

Sarasota, Florida, US

Paul Ferrara wrote:
#'s 1 & 4 are good.  You under-exposed #2 and the pose in #3 is awful.

Paul

Might I ask how you determined this was underexposed?? There certainly is depth to the image, and I'm not refering to aperature, and there doesn't appear to be an abundance of noise which would typically appear with an underexposed digital image that was trying to be salvaged..

And no offense, but only because of how blunt your response was, wouldn't a little advice regarding improvement have made this a better critique?? As I think Tyler put, "it sucks", is not input.. 

Just my .02....

Sep 15 05 08:13 pm Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

Looking at it a little closer indicates it might be more a matter of WB than exposure.  Good catch. 

I couldn't suggest a better pose for #3.  It'd be one of those ones that I'd just pitch.

Paul

Sep 15 05 08:41 pm Link

Photographer

ProShotPhoto

Bellingham, Massachusetts, US

As these photos are presented I agree with Paul.  1 and 3 are the most pleasing to my eye.  2 needs a very little bit of photoshop to make it salvagable.  The pose and expression in 2 however is not too great - as potographs perspective is shooting up her nose - just one of those moments when all is not perfect - we know that happens a lot to all of us.

I also agree that sucks is a good way to describe the pose in #3 as we are looking up her nose.  This is not usually the most flattering position for her face.  The point should be that there are better poses and therefore this one should be considered a learning lesson rather than sitting on a portfolio.

There is no reason as Justin suggests that when we take a photo we must invent something new, unique and especially different from many other photos to enjoy our work.  When you go to the beach after all what is the shot about - not the skyline - that is for sure.  It is usually or commonly a T & A shot and that is why we go to the beach.  No need to understate these attributes in order to accomodate a need to be different.  I think if she pushed her belly out hunched her chest forward and tried diligently to flatten her but shile smoking s cigarette we would find the photo unique (even though I am sure it has been done before) and different but still some would simply say it sucks.

smile
gus mctavish
www.proshotphoto.com

Sep 15 05 10:08 pm Link

Photographer

usedfilm

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Was your flash on camera?  If so, slap your hand and don't do that any more.  smile

For the most part, the images are technically fine.  Pretty girl in water showing skin with sun setting.  I would say that all photographers should see this situation and say "How am I going to make it different?  How am I going to put my visual signature on it?  How am I going to make an image that will have all the cynical folks like Zack shut his mouth except just to say "Damn. Now that is a photograph worth thinking about!"

Get my drift?  These images pretty much demonstrate that you can huff it down the beach and operate your camera well enough to pass some sort of test.  What they don't demonstrate is that you can huff it down the beach and place your unique signature on a series of images.  That's my Yoda comment to you.  Can you shoot an image with all of the typical elements seen the world over and place something unique upon it?

Cheers,
Zack

Sep 16 05 01:22 am Link

Photographer

Joe Albright

Fort Wayne, Indiana, US

I am not a fan of flash, but that is personal opinion, I would have used a big reflector. But you probably didn't have an extra pair of hands did you?

(left to right) 1 and 4 are best. 3 looks like a sea creature is attacking her and 2 is too dark, under exposed or just plain not well lit. You choose which verbiage you prefer. I would have turned the flash off, exposed for the sky and had a cool sunset silhouette shot, but that's me. Composition was good.

Joe

Sep 16 05 01:46 am Link

Photographer

i c e c o l d

Fort Myers, Florida, US

Hi Guys, Thanks for all of your input, both good and bad, that was what I was looking for.

Yes, 1 and 4 are the ones I like best and yeah I was bordrline with the pose on 3, so I will change it out today. As for #2, I did photoshop some of the brightness off of her from the flash. (and yes, usedfilm it was a flash on the camera, I'm already slapping myself.) but I used a lumiquest softbox on it along with the flashes built in diffuser panel and angled the flash at a 45.

I had an extra set of hands and we tried the 42" gold reflector but couldn't generate enough light. Would it have been better to use the flash on a stand off to the side?

As for WB, didn't have time to do a custom setting so I chose "cloudy" which is 6000k.

Thanks again, I appreciate all of your comments.

Sep 16 05 08:14 am Link

Photographer

Nicholson Photography

Columbus, Georgia, US

you have such a great location for a shoot, use it. get that sky in the background more.
do something diffrent with the model. also get those image into photo shop and touch them up.
the model dosent look comfortable at all.
do something with the sand. or something with the water.
make sure you turn up that flash next time.

Sep 16 05 08:24 am Link