Forums > Critique > What the hey ... let me know what you think ...

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

Just looking for a little portfolio feedback.  I know I've got a few things to work on, so be nice!  *looking at Paul*  wink

In particular, I would like some "like it" or "hate it" opinions on this picture:

https://modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pic_id=432a27990effd

Sep 15 05 08:07 pm Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

You do okay, William. wink  I know you were trying to be different here but the main thing I don't like about it is the position of her eyes.

Paul

Sep 15 05 08:44 pm Link

Photographer

glamourmedia

Dallas, Georgia, US

My pick is soft shoulder, I am really anal about lines and eyes. Was it an accident? Nothing ever is but I would say go with that.

Sep 15 05 10:30 pm Link

Model

angelavasquez

Murrieta, California, US

I really dont like that shot. The lighting is to distracting and the red is as well. But I do like "Romance" that has to be my fave....very well done on that one! big_smile

Ciao
Angela
xoxxoxoxoxoooxxoxoo

Sep 15 05 10:41 pm Link

Photographer

usedfilm

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Blood Rage - Hate it.

I think "Oh dear God what is she so pissed off at?  Her manager at Hot Topix must be mad she's late again today." 

I know that is a very cynical thing to think... but there you have it.  Knee jerk reaction.  The image is just not at all flattering to the model or to your skill as a photographer or Photochop editor.  Unless you are doing a story on disgruntled kids working at the mall in the 'burbs.

Again, I know that is a cynical critique of your work but I just have to think "Where in the world is that shot going to take that photographer's career?" 

Otherwise... You describe yourself as amateur and that is where your work is at.  The good news is that is where one must start.  Hopefully you will look at this work 10 years from now and wonder why you ever showed it in a public forum.  If none of us think that of our work then we just aren't growing.  I highly suggest taking some workshops in lighting.

Cheers,
Zack

Sep 16 05 01:12 am Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

usedfilm wrote:
I think "Oh dear God what is she so pissed off at?  Her manager at Hot Topix must be mad she's late again today." 

I know that is a very cynical thing to think... but there you have it.  Knee jerk reaction.  The image is just not at all flattering to the model or to your skill as a photographer or Photochop editor.  Unless you are doing a story on disgruntled kids working at the mall in the 'burbs.

Actually, she is supposed to look pissed off - so at least it's successful in that respect.  As for the "Photochop" editing, it was done quickly to test an idea (I posted it to see what kind of response the idea would get before doing a refined edit.)

Sep 16 05 01:28 am Link

Photographer

usedfilm

Atlanta, Georgia, US

To each his own!  Carry on!

smile

Cheers,
Zack

Sep 16 05 01:29 am Link

Photographer

Joe Albright

Fort Wayne, Indiana, US

I really like your work! I think that you are frantically searching for a style right now and Blood Rage is not it. I like Heather in wash, Romance,Cereal in the Sun and Taking Flight. I think you have a good understanding of color too. keep creating!
Joe

Sep 16 05 01:59 am Link

Photographer

Don Spiro

Astoria, New York, US

I don't like to critique because what works or doesn't for me might for someone else, and critiques rarely sound objective.

I personally like photos like this when they have more depth. Possibly just printing this darker, with rich blacks and detail barely visible in the shadows might make the mood is more interesting.

That's just how I would do it, but I could be wrong.

Sep 16 05 02:43 am Link