Forums > Critique > comments & critiques welcome

Model

Jamie Mae Vaun

Seattle, Washington, US

well i just got some images back from a photo shoot so i uploaded a ton of them. please check them out & tell me your thoughts? any comments will be appreciated.

Sep 16 05 06:18 am Link

Model

Jamie Mae Vaun

Seattle, Washington, US

please? smile

Sep 16 05 03:57 pm Link

Photographer

commart

Hagerstown, Maryland, US

Okay.

I saw this coming.

Let's suppose there are two overlapping camps in model-photographer culture: one professional, one amateur.  That's not a small premise, but bear with me.  Flowing down from professional (print) culture:

--Fashion models: 5'9-11", 34-24-34/35, dresses 2-4/6 (something like that);

--Commercial models: girls next door, moms, wives, daughters, etc., usually in the 5'6-8" range, slim to medium builds, but with some flexibility up and down and in and out.  "Right, bright, and easy to work with" has been my slogan for comp cards, and I continue to suspect it works.

--Art models: Helmut liked tall (and big and strong enough to tear the little guy apart), Rubens liked round and not too active.  smile 

I happen to care about actor ability and ease with the body--I don't want fuss over nudity in either direction.  I'm interested in scene and character if shooting some kind of fine (as opposed to fashion or commercial) art.

You're not going to beat professional conventions, and amateurs either derive part of their concepts from them, or they're interested in personae, sensuality, or sex.

Where does that leave you?

You have a difficult gambit, and it's just there in the body. 

Again, professionals want professional specifications (statistics); guys with cameras want babes in bikinis; artists -- well, I want a character in a bedroom or reading on a back porch, and I want something in that picture or moment that's interesting in the way of atmosphere, implied story, or person.  I don't need snap shots of pretty young women being pretty, young, and female: there would be no point to them from any artistic, educational, or training perspective (I'd like to think I'm learning how to build and direct little scenes).

You have a couple of lovely head shots.  A commercial or theatrical direction may suit, but much of what passes for the current market may be expected to march elsewhere.

How you deal with industrial-strength beauty conventions and self concept may be interesting.  Cheerleaders and tall girls may have problems that twist around the business of living inside exceptionally alluring (okay: hot, hot, hot!) envelopes. Ms. Monroe was not a happy women; neither, it seems, is Kate Moss.

You asked.  My short answer: commercial or artist's model but artists want the feminine (nudity, implied, the bedroom, the bathrobe, etc.), and you don't seem to want to have much to do with that.

--Jim

Sep 16 05 04:39 pm Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

Jamie Mae Vaun wrote:
...please check them out & tell me your thoughts...

I failed to see a sense of purpose in any of the images displayed.  Perhaps you could provide some enlightenment; what is it you are modeling?

Sep 16 05 07:09 pm Link

Photographer

ProShotPhoto

Bellingham, Massachusetts, US

I think this says it all. quoted from your bio ""so I would prefer to do TFP/TFCD shoots """
No investment, ,no commitment on the pert of he photogrpahe or the model.  Moms snapshot may be better.

Sep 16 05 08:30 pm Link