Makeup Artist

Deirdre

New Milford, Connecticut, US

Please......Critique!

Sep 16 05 11:17 pm Link

Photographer

Rya Nell

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

Umm... your Make up or your photography?

Sep 17 05 06:34 am Link

Makeup Artist

Deirdre

New Milford, Connecticut, US

how about both

Sep 20 05 09:58 pm Link

Photographer

Gary M Photo

Dayton, Ohio, US

I like the makeup and styling on the models. The photos could use a little finesse -- I realize these are mainly to document the make-up, and I think you can just shift to photographing the MODEL and not just the make-up, maybe soften things up a bit with the lighting, for my tastes.

Also, you might go into PhotoShop and tweak your exposures on some of the models with the darkest complexions, as they seem to be going TOO dark to really see any detail. Might be your monitor calibration/color settings, too, need some fine tuning.

Keep up the good work!

Sep 20 05 10:11 pm Link

Photographer

ProShotPhoto

Bellingham, Massachusetts, US

I cannot see the fine detail of the makeup because the images need tweeking in photoshop or another editing tool.  Find a photogrpaher to do this for you and post the new improved versions.

I do TFPs for make up artists all the time.  Is it hard to get this help in your area.
I give them shoots and they provide me with makeup for some of my shoots.

Sep 20 05 11:12 pm Link

Photographer

Vegas Alien

Armington, Illinois, US

Work with photographers who don't use on-camera flash. You've got style, looks and talent, but we can't see the glory in any area with those pics. You need depth, contrast, vibrancy and sharpness (and white balance...). Be selective in who you shoot with and expect a higher level of quality.

Sep 20 05 11:50 pm Link

Photographer

commart

Hagerstown, Maryland, US

Makeup and styling have a language all their own.  I don't speak it but have come to some baseline conclusions, and these may be helpful to you:

Makeup

1. For various reasons, recordings generally produce a little more contrast in makeup than can be seen with the naked eye;

2. Wet may reflect unpredictably;

3. So my first baseline is a matte finish for the skin overall, meticulous blending for cover, no gloss, and the exercise of "exquisite restraint" in accents;

4. And if you have that down, you can lay it on thick (see Testino's Paris on the cover of this month's Vanity Fair) -- also bring on the gloss and glitter -- but always sharp and knowing the camera's going to amplify whatever your eye sees.

Treat makeup for photography as that and not the same as makeup for live appearance.

Lighting

1.  They don't call it a "beauty dish" for nothing--technically, a dish features a reflective plate that catches the direct burst from the strobe, pushes it back into an eggshell of a surface and throws it out bright and wide.  The effect on the molding of a face: shadowless, bright, even.  Most of the modifiers -- umbrellas, scrims, softboxes -- do similar things for the same reason: bring up tone and color without unpleasant texture or shadow.  That's the primary lighting you want for showing off your wares. 

2.  After the dish, diffused or soft directional light may charm as well.

Lensing and Photographers

1. Moderate to long telephoto lenses help maintain proportion with the face; photographers practiced in portraiture and macrophotography (to really get into artwork around the eyes or mouth) are your best bets.

2. As regards photographers, first identify the candidates whose work might suit your mission best -- that's making your work look great -- and then evaluate various deals or terms proposed.

Sep 21 05 08:09 am Link