Forums > Photography Talk > Epson Stylus Photo R1800

Photographer

Scott Einuis

New York, New York, US

I've owned the R800 and R1800 for a while.  I personally feel it's the best thing out there for color.  Moreover the bronzing issue with many glossy papers seems to be much less evident with the gloss optimizer/ink combos. 

However if you're going matte and especially in black and white, the R2400 is amazing in the black tones.  One can see a difference.  It's on my wish list to sit next to the R1800.

For paper I wo with Inkjetpress paper available at B&H and online.  It's offered in many sizes, and their glossy, lustre and matte are excellent.  I don't get into the art papers, eater colors or velvets so I can't speak for paper there.  However, the prices are great.

Dec 02 05 10:30 am Link

Photographer

Eric Foltz

Lake Forest, California, US

DawnElizabeth Moderator wrote:
Thanks!!!!

Check your messages.

Eric Foltz

Dec 02 05 10:56 am Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Ched wrote:
I'm told by the guy at my local imaging shop that the $529 Epson R1800 will never match the quality of the quarter million dollar lab he sends my pictures out to.

Bill Gunter wrote:
Do you think he might be a little bit biased because he wants to keep all of your business?

No, because I'd buy the printer through his shop.

I'm suspicious though. He said something about his cost per picture for 8x10's is $2 each (he gives me a rate of $2.50 each). But when I mentioned Adoramapix.com's rates of $1.49 per 8x10 for orders over 25, he said he could match that. I raised an eyebrow on that one.

Ched wrote:
You wouldn't happen to also have a more technical explanation of why there isn't much difference, would you?

Eric Foltz wrote:
Because most labs are now printing with large format Epsons and HPs.

I'm told this one isn't.

I think I'll buy the printer though.

Dec 02 05 11:04 am Link

Photographer

Bill Gunter

Daytona Beach, Florida, US

Amazon.com sells the printer for $499.xx (not sure about the cents) with free shipping.

InkjetGoodies has the set of all 8 cartridges for $94.80 with free shipping
http://redrockinnovations.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?

Sam's club sells the individual inks for $11.48.

Dec 02 05 01:07 pm Link