Forums > Critique > In need of help...

Photographer

EA Photographics

Reading, Pennsylvania, US

I am at a point where my photography seems to be stuck in a rut.  I need some good advice/comments from some experienced models and photographers for how I can add some new direction to my portfolio based on what you see I have done so far.  Please feel free to be as brutal and honest as you require as I can take it and am looking for some real information to help me improve and grow in a new direction.

I have a couple of shoots planned for the next few days and would love to be able to incorporate some of the advice I get here in these shoots.  As always, if you would like to add me as a friend or comment on some images, that would be great.  Also, if you are a model in or near Madison, Wisconsin and would like to set up a shoot, please feel free to tag or message me!  Thanks in advance everyone!  smile

Adam

Sep 18 05 11:28 am Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

I think you should concentrate on learning lighting.  Most of your daylight shots could have benefited from a reflector or flash fill.

And I'll bet that #'s 4, 5, 6, 7, and 13 were taken at a group shoot, right?  Anyway, I'd start with learning more about lighting and posing.  Take some pics, post here for critique, etc.

Paul

Sep 18 05 12:07 pm Link

Photographer

Vintagevista

Sun City, California, US

Just a suggestion - but a lot of the pics have a "Set Pose in a Set Place" look to my eye.

I have tried with some success to use a theme/scenario in some of my efforts. By getting to know the model and talking about some of what she is interested in - We can find some themes that will be in the background of our minds for the day.

Example - One model I worked with several times was a creative and spiritual person and loved to consider the magic in nature.  We spent the day in the forest with a theme of "seeking" and shot all day with that in that mindset.

She took some of her shots and photoshopped an orb of light into the images - I was quite content to see the look of emotion and concentration visible in her poses.  Many were set sort of poses - but when she looked into the distance - there was not an unfocused look about her - she was really thinking about seeing something in the distance.

Just a suggestion - mostly its about getting to know the model, well ahead of time, for me.

Sep 18 05 12:15 pm Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Adam,

Similar to the writer's mental block. All of us at one time, or another experienced it. What you need is a good diversion. Shoot other material for a bit. Dive into magazines you normally don't thumb through and observe the photography. Turn your studio into a cooking show where you are trying to concoct a dish recipe of your own, i.e. props and lighting. You don't always have to use a model. You can also do the modeling yourself.

Eventually, it's during the diversion that something clicks in your head about what you were doing before and maybe, it might be the realization, or ideas on how you could do better. Sometimes, the diversion gives your mind plenty of time to connect the loosely related photography and graphics concepts.

Okay...it's Sunday...losing my train of thought quick.

Sep 18 05 12:21 pm Link

Photographer

EA Photographics

Paul Ferrara wrote:
I think you should concentrate on learning lighting.  Most of your daylight shots could have benefited from a reflector or flash fill.

And I'll bet that #'s 4, 5, 6, 7, and 13 were taken at a group shoot, right?  Anyway, I'd start with learning more about lighting and posing.  Take some pics, post here for critique, etc.

Paul

These were not done in a group setting although I have participated in some.  I appreciate all the comments and input so far!  Thanks everyone!

Sep 18 05 02:24 pm Link

Photographer

OneLightFilms

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

So far I agree with what everyone has said. Your lighting could definitely use some work. It doesn't excite enough. Try adding some contrast, or shooting at night using natural light or flash that is well thought out. Much like VintageVista said, (and I plan on using the advice myself) try and develop some sort of theme or storyline to what your doing so your not just clicking away aimlessly, unless that is your theme. Photopgraphy is like a movie only you have one frame to tell the whole story. So try and put some reason to each shot. I like doing experimental stuff where you get a model and have an idea or a mood and just try to work a shoot around conveying that one mood. And just try to be fresh and dont be scared to have shots that aren't technically perfect because life isn;t perfect.

Sep 18 05 04:02 pm Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

I disagree with learning the lighting aspect first.  Yes, there is tremendous importance in that but if you are clueless as to what modeling images are supposed to be then the greatest lighting in the world won't help.

So the solution?  Pick the style and study the strongest sources, be it adult, commercial print, studio fashion, artistic whatever...and learn the attitude of the imaging and how to create it.  Then, use the lighting to emphasize it.

Sep 18 05 04:23 pm Link

Photographer

EA Photographics

Once again, great advice all.  I appreciate it and will be working to implement it tomorrow in my next shoot!

Adam

Sep 18 05 05:01 pm Link

Photographer

EA Photographics

Anyone else have anything to add?

Sep 18 05 09:29 pm Link

Photographer

EA Photographics

OK, I posted a few new images from my last shoot.  Let me know how I did!

Sep 20 05 07:24 am Link

Photographer

RobHowardStudios

Mount Pleasant, Michigan, US

I agree about all the lighting stuff, and about the posing stuff.

BUT... Some of what you did can be a lot better if you learn the Photoshop or darkroom stuff. I see some color and contrast issues that could be easily fixed in your final product.

I see a lot of good things you are doing with light and pose. You are also showing that you are working with themes and telling stories. Your composition is pretty good. Like always, just keep tightening up the basics. You are definitely getting there.

Sep 20 05 10:11 am Link

Photographer

ProShotPhoto

Bellingham, Massachusetts, US

EA Photographics wrote:
OK, I posted a few new images from my last shoot.  Let me know how I did!

I agree with the last poster.  Post procesing is very important for you to learn.  It is rare that a shot comes out of my digital camera that does not need some  processing [developing] just like the film need to be developed properly to create a great image.  I have set my camera to allow the greatest potential in post processign so the the images are typicly flat (I call it gray because the image does not contain either white or black yet) like your newly posted images.  Each needs color balancing at the very least.

Start by reading this http://www.bairarteditions.com/pages/tu … lance.html  then search for more specific information regarding your camara and software.

Sep 20 05 10:47 am Link

Photographer

Vintagevista

Sun City, California, US

I really like the solo shot of Heather..  The expression and pose makes it easy for me to visualize a story to go along with this image.

Sep 20 05 10:54 am Link