Forums > Critique > Would appreciate your critical eye...

Photographer

Gary M Photo

Dayton, Ohio, US

Please take a minute or two and check out the newest set in my portfolio... I'd love to hear your thoughts. Or at least I think I'd love to hear them.

Cross-posted from a more deailed item in the Newbie thread:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=11844

Thanks!
GM

Sep 20 05 09:11 am Link

Photographer

ProShotPhoto

Bellingham, Massachusetts, US

Victoria seems to have a smug look in most, and very defensive posture in all the photos.  She looks ill at ease and uptight and maybe a little impatient and agitated  Note he folded arm and crossed legs – very defensive posture – certainly not at ease.  She is appears to be smearing at the camera.

If you were trying to flatter her – these are terrible; if you wanted to present these traits you were successful.

Sep 20 05 11:15 am Link

Photographer

Nicholson Photography

Columbus, Georgia, US

work on your lighting
work on your possing
i might just be me but i dont think that girl makes a very good model.

Sep 20 05 11:18 am Link

Photographer

Rawson

Massapequa Park, New York, US

i agree with the other two guys

on a postive note i think your use of the red background works better then the black because the black is wrinkled.

if you are on this website because you want to work with more models i would suggest not using pictures that arnt of models. I love still lifes and landscapes but models dont care about that and it wont help you get more models. if you are set on using them i would not suggest it being more then 5% of your model portfolio. For example... what if the sexiest model is a republican and sees your demotractic ticket pic and decides because of that she doesnt want to work with you because she hates democrats... just a silly example of what im trying to say but i hope you can use it to your benefit. gotta love james brown tho i wish i could shoot him. keep trying and keep experimenting.

Sep 20 05 11:29 am Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

ProShotPhoto wrote:
Victoria seems to have a smug look in most, and very defensive posture in all the photos.  She looks ill at ease and uptight and maybe a little impatient and agitated  Note he folded arm and crossed legs – very defensive posture – certainly not at ease.  She is appears to be smearing at the camera.

If you were trying to flatter her – these are terrible; if you wanted to present these traits you were successful.

I know that model.  We've never shot but we've talked.  She doesn't smile in any of her images.  Don't kinow why but I should ask.

Paul

Sep 20 05 11:47 am Link

Photographer

Gary M Photo

Dayton, Ohio, US

Thanks for the input folks... the confusing group shoot format actually was putting her on the defensive, and it does show in some of the images I chose. And as Paul mentions, she resists smiling in photos for reasons of her own. And sadly, the group shoot setting didn't really offer me any control over lighting or the background, so it was "catch as catch can" for most of it. And only getting 5 frames at a time didn't really allow time for putting the model at ease, or working a pose. Excuses, excuses... I know.

But please don't harsh on Victoria... she made the best of a pretty strange and awkward situation. Check out her portfolio to see what her potential is in the hands of more experienced shooters.
https://www.modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=4122  Also, I've also posted a couple more of my images of her that may be more flattering.

My inexperience (and the vibe of the shoot) comes through in the images, and unfortunately reflects poorly on her. So, I guess I'll just have to try, try again, and the first step is getting a situation where I can have control over the lighting, the setting, the pacing, etc. and have time to refine poses and ideas.

"Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?"

Sep 20 05 01:57 pm Link

Photographer

ProShotPhoto

Bellingham, Massachusetts, US

Gary Mitchell wrote:
Thanks for the input folks... the confusing group shoot format actually was putting her on the defensive, and it does show in some of the images I chose. And as Paul mentions, she resists smiling in photos for reasons of her own. And sadly, the group shoot setting didn't really offer me any control over lighting or the background, so it was "catch as catch can" for most of it. And only getting 5 frames at a time didn't really allow time for putting the model at ease, or working a pose. Excuses, excuses... I know.

But please don't harsh on Victoria... she made the best of a pretty strange and awkward situation. Check out her portfolio to see what her potential is in the hands of more experienced shooters.
https://www.modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=4122  Also, I've also posted a couple more of my images of her that may be more flattering.

My inexperience (and the vibe of the shoot) comes through in the images, and unfortunately reflects poorly on her. So, I guess I'll just have to try, try again, and the first step is getting a situation where I can have control over the lighting, the setting, the pacing, etc. and have time to refine poses and ideas.

"Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?"

(I did go to review the models port)
I have shot various models with the hope I could use the images in my profoilio but because I did not think the result flattered them (and therefore myself) the images never saw light on my site or profolio they just sit on a dvd in the storage pile.

Sep 20 05 02:09 pm Link

Photographer

Gary M Photo

Dayton, Ohio, US

I have shot various models with the hope I could use the images in my profoilio but because I did not think the result flattered them (and therefore myself) the images never saw light on my site or profolio they just sit on a dvd in the storage pile.

Well, a guy's gotta start somewhere... at some point I hope to have the luxury of scrapping my less stellar work.

Sep 20 05 06:43 pm Link

Photographer

Isaac Klotz

Oakland, California, US

Gary Mitchell wrote:

Well, a guy's gotta start somewhere... at some point I hope to have the luxury of scrapping my less stellar work.

with that in mind, maybe just keep one image of victoria for your portfolio.  add other shoots, and eventually you can replace it.  also, you can photoshop out the wrinkles in the fabric if its something you care about.  but this may be more trouble then its worth.

-isaac

Sep 20 05 06:51 pm Link