Forums > Critique > Amature photographer- Love to hear some critique

Photographer

Thor Meeks

Midwest City, Oklahoma, US

I've been a photographer for about twenty years, and only within the past two, have I gone to digital.  Not going back...  9)

Sep 20 05 11:59 am Link

Photographer

ProShotPhoto

Bellingham, Massachusetts, US

What are you doing on model mayhem? 
Do you plan to shoot models? 
If so your portfolio should demonstrate you will flatter them and i am not sure it does this.

Sep 20 05 12:23 pm Link

Photographer

Nicholson Photography

Columbus, Georgia, US

i would take some classes and shoot everyday.

Sep 20 05 12:53 pm Link

Photographer

commart

Hagerstown, Maryland, US

Thor--you have gotten a start on an interesting ouvre.  Embrace it!

I have the great fortune of being able to shoot Nikon 35mm film and digital or Mamiya 6x4.5 as I (or a client) may wish.  For the little travel I do, I've found a Nikon FM and two lenses, ranging from 35-210mm, more than enough (and the Mamiya plain obscene).  For shoots with models: D2x or D70, for chimping.

Sep 20 05 01:04 pm Link

Photographer

Thor Meeks

Midwest City, Oklahoma, US

commart wrote:
Thor--you have gotten a start on an interesting ouvre.  Embrace it!

I have the great fortune of being able to shoot Nikon 35mm film and digital or Mamiya 6x4.5 as I (or a client) may wish.  For the little travel I do, I've found a Nikon FM and two lenses, ranging from 35-210mm, more than enough (and the Mamiya plain obscene).  For shoots with models: D2x or D70, for chimping.

I still have my Vivitar 35mm camera, with several lenses and filters, but I don't really use it anymore.  It comes in real handy with shots of lightning, and I used it for several years taking nature shots for myself.  But recently I started an interest in photographing people in set up shots.  I don't have any expensive lighting equipment yet, so I'm making due with lighting tricks.  (And I can be inventive.)

Thank you all for the comments so far.  I plan on making more headway in model photography, but at the moment, it will be mainly TFCD work to help build my skill, and to help models that need shots for their portfolio.

Sep 20 05 01:16 pm Link

Photographer

commart

Hagerstown, Maryland, US

From the git-go, whatever you may encounter in the way of variety, consider giving yourself also direction.  If you're into an American subculture, if God has blessed you with an abundance of double-plus women, and if you can make those subjects, however you define them, beautiful, bring out their humanity, and tell their story, you will have, I believe, a uniquely entertaining and expressive collection of work early in your experience with the art.

Keep that film camera in use.  The medium stands better than a chance of coming through the digital onslaught quite alive and stable.  --Jim

Sep 20 05 05:02 pm Link