Forums > Model Colloquy > -->Runway photos in your book??

Model

habiscus

New York, New York, US

My question is--> Is it okay for models to put fashion show photos from runway work in their portfolios? I have heard mixed opinions on this. Some people are saying that this agencies just want to see tears sheets and print work but what if the runway photos are exceptionally flattering to your portfolio and are professional looking?

Sep 20 05 02:08 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

habiscus wrote:
My question is--> Is it okay for models to put fashion show photos from runway work in their portfolios? I have heard mixed opinions on this. Some people are saying that this agencies just want to see tears sheets and print work but what if the runway photos are exceptionally flattering to your portfolio and are professional looking?

In my experience, if you have some exceptional runway images, from (preferably!) major events and no other professional images then that may help, otherwise...

Runway shows in bars and restaurants with bad lighting etc. are not really the best thing.

However, some designers shoot a look book before the show, with back drop, proper lighting etc. and you could use those as fashion photos for your portfolio as well.

Sep 20 05 02:12 pm Link

Photographer

The Art of CIP

Long Beach, California, US

I'm curios to see how this question is answered..  Afterall - isn't the runway the ultimate set shot??

Sep 20 05 02:12 pm Link

Model

Mindy

Chandler, Arizona, US

The Art of CIP wrote:
I'm curios to see how this question is answered..  Afterall - isn't the runway the ultimate set shot??

That's what I thought! big_smile
I think so..

Sep 21 05 02:07 am Link

Model

Rachel DellaPorte

Montgomery, New York, US

habiscus wrote:

Nooo! Don't put those in your book! Online? Totally different... but for agencies & castings? No no...

Do this....

Last page ofyour book... pick three or four & lay them out there with the polsroids from the work that hasnt come out yet.... do you know what I'm talking about?  (Opposite of where the comp cards and vouchers are kept you know?)

I cannot imagine ANY of the agencies I have had ever ever ever ever putting a runway pic in my book.

If you do a lot of really good runway work.... (like top names) type of a list and slide it in the last page..?

Sep 21 05 07:45 am Link

Makeup Artist

Tracey Masterson

Shelton, Connecticut, US

Ditto Rachel's advice.
NEVER put them in a professional book.

Sep 21 05 08:19 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

I have seen all kinds of books, because for casting for runway shows, we don't work only with agency models, many of them are freelancers.

I confirm that I have never seen an agency model with runway photos in their portfolios. Online... yeah! But not in their book.

I have seen beginning freelance models that used runway photos, for lack of good (TFP's) images taken by pros.

A few had outstanding runway photos, and they helped. But the majority of runway photos that I saw in books are what I described above: runway shows with bad lighting, in a bar or restaurant, with mediocre designs.

So, I would say that if the model doesn't have great shots (polaroids), but an outstanding shot from a  super runway show... wing it and use that one until you can replace them with traditional fashion/editorial photos.

Sep 21 05 09:12 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Narvell

Dallas, Texas, US

I agree.  As an agent once before, I never put the runway photos in a professional portfolio book unless, you have one that shows you in a still perfect pose and good lighting.  That is why when I train girls in runway technique, I train them to hold there pose in order to get good photos.

Sep 22 05 05:51 am Link

Model

habiscus

New York, New York, US

Wow, thanx for all the replys! They are very helpful especially Rachel's advice.

-->ANOTHER QUESTION: Is the professional portfolio supposed to be hardcover? The one I bought is and it has 24 pages to fill up.
   Is this enough for a professional book to bring to clients and agents? And if a model was serious into runway fashion, what ratio of fashion, editorial, etc shots should be placed in there?

Sep 22 05 01:24 pm Link

Model

Amy Harber

Chicago, Illinois, US

If the runway photo is a tearsheet from a magazine and it's big enough, go for it.

Sep 30 05 03:38 am Link

Model

habiscus

New York, New York, US

That's another thing with portfolios, why are the bigger, oversized pictures always better?

Oct 02 05 07:51 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

habiscus wrote:
That's another thing with portfolios, why are the bigger, oversized pictures always better?

What do you mean by this?   How big?   9 x 12 is standard for print and tear sheets are tear sheets.

Oct 02 05 08:43 am Link

Model

Rachel DellaPorte

Montgomery, New York, US

habiscus wrote:

Because its not stock photography...?

Just put the BEST... I think putting a tiny pic in might make it look like you were putting every single thing you have ever done in your book.

I dunno, I have never seen less then a full page at castings in agency models books... (unless of course its a series of a few photos on one page- and they are in every photograph)

As for books.... hardcover book yes... I think theres a great thread around here that talks about that? Anyone know where it is?

Oct 02 05 09:42 am Link