Forums > MM Market > Renting clothes for photo shoots... interested?

Wardrobe Stylist

Narvell

Dallas, Texas, US

Models & Photographers always contact me about extra clothes they want to use for a shoot.  I am thinking about renting different items like gowns, suits, hats, and accessories.  In some cases I can put the entire look together here and send it out.  Some things will be created by me and other things would just be in my collection of clothes. 

Funds would be sent by PayPal and then the model would have 30 days to return it back.  Models & Photographers would get a discount on stuff I created as long as I get images I can use for my portfolio.  Give me feed back.  What do you think?

Ivory Narvell

Sep 21 05 01:40 pm Link

Model

~*Isabel Aurora*~

Boca del Mar, Florida, US

I like the idea.  But what about fittings? there is basically NO market for fashion stylists in NC and I have a hard time picking out my own stuff so a service like this might be helpful..It's a good concept

Sep 21 05 01:43 pm Link

Photographer

Benjamen McGuire

Portland, Oregon, US

good idea. create a website and network with other photographers with good outfits/props. i have wierd stuff that people like.

Sep 21 05 01:48 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Narvell

Dallas, Texas, US

Fittings... things I make will be made to standard size charts.  I would suggest you go a size larger because you can always tie the back to fit for a photo.  You can't stretch it out to make it bigger.  Other items I have will be noted what size it shows on the tag or I will let you know what measurement it is fit for.

I think this might make it easier for people who do not have access to a stylist.  I can also sketch out how I vision the garments on the model.  This may help since I cannot be everywhere.

Ivory Narvell

Sep 21 05 01:50 pm Link

Photographer

JenniferPalumbo

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I love the idea...especially when I have an idea in mind, but my model may not have anything like that...I can't afford to buy clothes, and even if I did I'd have no use for them after that shoot...

Sep 22 05 08:19 pm Link

Model

Ms Sharmaine

Detroit, Michigan, US

I also think this is a good idea.  Are you planning on making a website for this? Or how will you market the different looks?

Sep 22 05 09:31 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Narvell

Dallas, Texas, US

Yeah... I can do a web site like that (*snap*).  But, first I want to get some feed back.  It would call for inventory and storage which I could get.  I think I am going to put this idea on the Off Topic Board to get full feedback.  Thanks for what you given so far.

Sep 23 05 04:23 am Link

Photographer

LaMarco

Berwick, Maine, US

Its a great idea.. Things you might want to think about.

Body type & Size
Other peices that might go with the outfits
Maybe even sorting them by color as well (Since I look at color more so then style most times)
Having a way of keeping track of who used them and adding the photo in so that if I was to get a dress that was used already I do not do the same shot.
Maybe killing an outfit after it has been used a number of times or maybe changing it a bit after each shoot.
Shipping options (overnight and so on)
Having a return shipping label to make things easy for us, since we already have so much going on. It be nice to just slap it all back in the boxes the way we got it and send it out paying for that off the front end.
Mailing list to keep us updates on new outfits you are adding as you add them.

Hope that helps.

Sep 23 05 08:31 am Link

Photographer

Devlin Carr

Westland, Michigan, US

I think that's a great idea myself and I sell outfits and such on my web site.  LaMarco  also makes good points.  You can set up an accounts with USPS UPS FED EX any shipping company at no charge. As for the shipping labels, just weigh your package print out the label then pay for it.

Good Luck on that idea!!!!

Sep 23 05 01:59 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Narvell

Dallas, Texas, US

Thinks guys for all of your support.  I thought about all of the options and little things it will take to make it happen.  I have a buddy who is an EBay Queen and she advise me of all the details.  However, I don't want to do EBay, I want to still be the fashion stylist that comes up with "the look" and have the option to attend photo shoots to help make it magnificent.

Thanks for pointing out that you would rather pay for the return before hand.  I think I will also relieve my customer of normal dry cleaning too so, they don't have to return it dry cleaned.

Sep 23 05 02:19 pm Link

Photographer

Naruphotography

Santa Barbara, California, US

A great ideas

hate to be downer but here a few points to consider.

1. Stylists and models that buy goods from stores to be used on their creditcards to return later are VERY careful with the garments. If they gets damaged the client normally pays for it as they are normally on the shoot.

2. You can easily damage clothing by using the wrong pins on certain fabrics. They can tear or leave holes. Even seasoned stylists sometimes make those mistakes and I have seen a few garments ruined. If the clothes are vintage the fabric does not have as much give in some cases and even clips can damage them. I've seen girls tread on the lace of vintage garments and rip them right off.

3. realistically I think you would need a deposit for the total cost plus shipping and cleaning
which can be return as long as there is no damage to clothing. The client should check the garment on arrival to make sure that there is no damage.

4. For local or people that can travel you should setup the shoots and work as a stylist. To me styling is a lot more complicated than slapping a few garments together. Even if you sent a complete look the model and photographer may have no vision of how the outfits goes together and often it's the stylist that comes up strange ideas that work that one would never have thought of and makes the shot. I worked with a stylist from Brides magazine and what he could create with just tool was amazing.

5. Some outfits look great when put together but do not necessarily work on the model who ordered the outfit. What happens when they send it back saying that they couldn't use it.

I think it's a wonderful idea but I think styling is very hard unless you have vision and a good stylist is hard to come by, plus they are member of the creative thought process that makes the shot.

I wish you well with your concept. I am certain it will help many models out there.

my 2 cents worth

Sep 23 05 05:47 pm Link

Photographer

dissolvegirl

Northampton, Massachusetts, US

I looooooove this idea.

Sep 23 05 07:28 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Narvell

Dallas, Texas, US

naruphotography wrote:
A great ideas

hate to be downer but here a few points to consider...

Thanks for your input.  You make some very good points.  I would never send vintage garments to a client.  I would want to be there to make sure it is handled carefully.  There has been times that the garment doesn't go on until the model is where she is going to pose.

However, I would like to provide a service in which I get a lot of request for, "I've use all of my cool clothes for photo shoots and I want something DIFFERENT then what I would purchase for myself."  The model may see something they can use in my collection but may not want to keep or hunt around for something like it.

As a stylist & creative art director, I have offered my services long distance.  I locate the items which fit the photographer's or model's concept, sketch the garment on a model to show placement & send them the idea along with snap shots of the items.  Once approved and agreed, the items would be sent.  They would have a fashion sketch to guide them on placement (I am very specific on where things should go because everything isn't always what it seams wink ).  I would rather be there to see it through but, they don't pay for my full service.  They would pay for the creative assistance.

naruphotography wrote:
Some outfits look great when put together but do not necessarily work on the model who ordered the outfit. What happens when they send it back saying that they couldn't use it.

Very true... Thank you for bringing that up.  That is a detail I will have to look into.  I might handle that like other rental companies, regardless if they use it or not, they are renting for the time it is out of inventory.  Rental car companies still charge you regardless if you drive the car around town or it sits at a lot next door to them  It's off their lot and therefore it a day owned. hmm Once again, I will look into that.

Thanks for your two cents!  Here is a quarter for your thought.

Sep 23 05 08:56 pm Link

Photographer

Devlin Carr

Westland, Michigan, US

As far as not using eBay, there are alot of web servers out there ranging from free to a couple of thousand a year. Right now I am with freeservers.com (a freeweb site host) and pay about 115.00 a year (for more MB's and options) for my site to be up and running (http://yourregionalquest.com/) I am however considering changing to this server (www.Christael.com) I am looking into his details of if he can handle the buy now buttons, shopping cart buttons, and if he is compatible with PayPal.

Sep 24 05 12:21 pm Link