Agana Heights, Guam, US

Where are all the paying jobs!?

Sep 22 05 11:49 am Link

Photographer

Weldphoto

Charleston, South Carolina, US

Merlot wrote:
Where are all the paying jobs!?

I ask the same question in South Carolina... where are all the models willing to pay for professional pictures?
Seems there is no money to be had in the Carolinas on either side of the camera!

Sep 22 05 11:56 am Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

If you're 5'10"+ and a perfect 34-25-34 ... NYC, LA, Chicago, mostly.

If you're anything else-- promotional modelling (sales work), adult/erotic photos/film.  At least as far as I've been able to tell.  I'd say there are probably small local print/commercial markets for gorgeous girls 5'7"+.

Anything else is probably pretty special. smile

Sep 22 05 12:17 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

The paying work is hiding out with the agencies mostly.

Sep 22 05 12:28 pm Link

Model

0000000None

Agana Heights, Guam, US

Damn me for getting tattoos when I was younger!

Sep 22 05 02:27 pm Link

Photographer

Viper Studios

Little Rock, Arkansas, US

Well, the good paying jobs are generally reserved for the well educated, the connected, those who have skills in a technical field, downtown in the big office buildings, etc.

Oh, you mean the paying modeling jobs.

Well, the best jobs go to the girls that are freaks of genetics and have that one in a million combination of height, weight, build, skin, hair, body shape, etc that the rest of us generally aspire to (or if you are politically correct, which the media has force fed us to aspire to).

There are thousands of "cute" girls.  Cute don't get paid because for every cute girl that wants to get paid, there are 100 cute girls who will do it for free TFP as they think it's going to launch their career.

Even in a paying market, maybe 40 girls get a look for a job, but only one gets chosen and paid.

It's tough out there.

No different than all the kids who grow up and "want" to be a baseball player.

Those who make it to the majors are few and far between.

Mark

Sep 22 05 02:41 pm Link

Model

~*Isabel Aurora*~

Boca del Mar, Florida, US

Merlot wrote:
Damn me for getting tattoos when I was younger!

I did the same thing! Got excited about being 18 now I have a mural on my back and a sucky tattoo on my stomach! I am getting them removed as soon as I can save up!

Warning to those who think they want tattoos: 

#1 A good tattoo aint cheap and a cheap tatto aint good (I had to learn that the hard way with the one on my stomach!)

#2 Make sure you like it.  If they put the stencil on you and you are not sure if you like it don't be afraid or feel pressured to still get it.  This is PERMANENT and I know you have heard that before but I know a lot of ppl (myself included) who wish they had spoken up and gotten little things they didn't like in the beginning changed (they think it should've been bigger/smaller/more to the right/etc). WHich leads me to my next piece of advise:

#3 not to be Captain Obvious, but they are expensive as HELL to remove! I have found that a one hour session costs $150 flate rate! ANd it can take between 3 and 8 (often times more) sessions! Plus the laser removal is compared to having hot grease being put on you

So do the research!

I love tattoos but not the ones I have.  I wish I had done them differently sad

Sep 22 05 02:47 pm Link

Model

nyx

London, Arkansas, US

Josie Nutter wrote:
If you're 5'10"+ and a perfect 34-25-34 ... NYC, LA, Chicago, mostly.

If only I could grow 9" and lose the ghetto booty...

Sep 22 05 07:03 pm Link

Model

Ms Sharmaine

Detroit, Michigan, US

They are definintly not in Michigan LOL

Sep 22 05 07:20 pm Link

Photographer

hypolux

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Weldphoto wrote:

I ask the same question in South Carolina... where are all the models willing to pay for professional pictures?
Seems there is no money to be had in the Carolinas on either side of the camera!

Shit, I was about to start a thread re:  how much to charge since I've had a few models contact me asking about my rates -  btw. this and all sorts of other online nonsense I've witnessed lately, I think I'm going to stick my head in a bucket of ice for a while... 

I can handle weird but this is getting to be too much even for me  ^^

Sep 24 05 03:02 pm Link

Photographer

Steinberg Photo

Boston, Massachusetts, US

If I may inquire:

- How much do you charge? I won't mind if you don't want to answer this specifically in such a public forum.

- You are not finding any work? From either professional photogs who are working on behalf of a client or semi-pro/advanced amateurs who can pay a model in order to add quality images to their own portfolio?

Sep 24 05 03:11 pm Link

Model

Praxis

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

Steinberg Photo wrote:
If I may inquire:

- How much do you charge? I won't mind if you don't want to answer this specifically in such a public forum.

- You are not finding any work? From either professional photogs who are working on behalf of a client or semi-pro/advanced amateurs who can pay a model in order to add quality images to their own portfolio?

We're both in NC - as far as photographers go, the pickings are slim and it breaks down into the following catgories with a FEW exceptions who fall in between:  wanker sleazebags who can't shoot but have cornered the "newbie model" market and operate like factories (i.e; have nice gear but no ideas) and/or talented photographers who are *sigh* alas, broke.  So, once you've shot with a few of the gems here, theres not much else to work with - then again, given those considerations, I don't expect modeling in this area to be a financially lucrative undertaking.  Its something to do, not something to expect to profit from unless you're willing to move, imo.

If Merlot were in a better area, she could make a killing - she's great to work with!

Sep 24 05 04:09 pm Link

Model

Praxis

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

Steinberg Photo wrote:
If I may inquire:

We're both in NC - as far as photographers go, the pickings are slim and it breaks down into the following catgories with a FEW exceptions who fall in between:  wanker sleazebags who can't shoot but have cornered the "newbie model" market and operate like factories (i.e; have nice gear but no ideas) and/or talented photographers who are *sigh* alas, broke.  So, once you've shot with a few of the gems here, theres not much else to work with - then again, given those considerations, I don't expect modeling in this area to be a financially lucrative undertaking.  Its something to do, not something to expect to profit from unless you're willing to move, imo.

If Merlot were in a better area, she could make a killing - she's great to work with!

Sep 24 05 04:09 pm Link

Photographer

Benjamen McGuire

Portland, Oregon, US

nyx wrote:

If only I could grow 9" and lose the ghetto booty...

you call THAT ghetto booty? if thats ghetto booty then.... well...... i don't know but i like your booty! does that mean i have to turn my hat backwards and wear pants 5 sizes too big?

Sep 24 05 05:10 pm Link