Forums > Model Colloquy > I want to change my eye color

Model

~*Isabel Aurora*~

Boca del Mar, Florida, US

I wa just wondering if anyone knew about wearing those contact lenses that non-eye doctor vendors sell because I want to have different colored eyes in my shoots.

I'm sure they are bad for long term wear but I would just wear them for a couple of hours maybe one day a week.

Or if anyone knew any websites I could get them at

Thanks in advance!

Sep 22 05 12:54 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

IsabelAurora wrote:
I wa just wondering if anyone knew about wearing those contact lenses that non-eye doctor vendors sell because I want to have different colored eyes in my shoots.

I'm sure they are bad for long term wear but I would just wear them for a couple of hours maybe one day a week.

Or if anyone knew any websites I could get them at

Thanks in advance!

Just be careful. Never buy them from places like a convenient store,etc. I have known of models who actually ended up blind or partially blind, or having severe eye infections from them. There is a site that I and many models would recommend, I forget the exact URL but it is something like style eyes or something like that.

Sep 22 05 01:01 pm Link

Photographer

Dreams To Keep

Novi, Michigan, US

I agree with the last post - stay with professional contact lens.  They look better and are safe.

Sep 22 05 01:08 pm Link

Model

PinayVampyre

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I wear coloured contacts, but they're prescripted.

I think you can buy over the counter disposable contact lenses nowadays where you only use them 2 weeks at a time.

Sep 22 05 01:10 pm Link

Model

~*Isabel Aurora*~

I know I could just call an eye doctor and ask this but since we are here:
Will an eye doctor issue me contacts?  Like would I have to get a prescription or do you think they could just get me some?

Sep 22 05 01:11 pm Link

Model

PinayVampyre

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

From my experience, I had to go to the optometrist to get my eyes checked...then I went across the clinic to the optical store where they had to measure my eyes so the contact lenses won't be too big or too small. 

But in your case I don't think you'd need them prescripted because it's not like you need the lenses for seeing.

Sep 22 05 01:18 pm Link

Model

~*Isabel Aurora*~

PinayVampyre wrote:
From my experience, I had to go to the optometrist to get my eyes checked...then I went across the clinic to the optical store where they had to measure my eyes so the contact lenses won't be too big or too small. 

But in your case I don't think you'd need them prescripted because it's not like you need the lenses for seeing.

But would a doctor get them for me without a speific size prescription?

Thanks for helping smile

Sep 22 05 01:20 pm Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

As far as I know, you have to have an exam to get colored contacts even if it's non-prescription from an eye doctor. I ordered a box of blue and a box of green two years ago and I only wear them every so often, so they last longer. I'm on my last set of blue and green.

There's supposedly a place online where you can order them without a prescription. What the eye doctor told me was by doing that, some people have astigmatism or other eye conditions and if you don't get fitted properly, you can actually mess your eyes up.

Sep 22 05 01:21 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

DawnElizabeth Moderator wrote:
What the eye doctor told me was by doing that, some people have astigmatism or other eye conditions and if you don't get fitted properly, you can actually mess your eyes up.

Wrongly fitting contacts can also slip and go behind the eyeball. I rarely get the heebie jeebies about anything but the thought of that happening gives them to me in a heat beat,lol. It is one reason I do not do contacts,lol

Sep 22 05 01:23 pm Link

Model

~*Isabel Aurora*~

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

Wrongly fitting contacts can also slip and go behind the eyeball. I rarely get the heebie jeebies about anything but the thought of that happening gives them to me in a heat beat,lol. It is one reason I do not do contacts,lol

I think because of that statement I might just try playing with them in photo shop! Thanks smile *lol* Now I feel like my eyeballs are going to fall out *haha*

Sep 22 05 01:26 pm Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

You are right about that as well. That was the other reason the eye doctor told me it's best to get fitted. I've had the test pair slip up while trying them on and they had to pry my lid open to get it out.

But if they're properly fitted, they are so much fun!

Sep 22 05 01:29 pm Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

Plus they rarely ever look real on close-ups....I have one withg blue in my port, you can see how fake they look there......but fun!

Sep 22 05 01:30 pm Link

Photographer

Yuriy

Gillette, New Jersey, US

IsabelAurora wrote:
...because I want to have different colored eyes in my shoots. ... (snipped)

Whatever happened to making a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer and using colorize and a mask?

So much easier. MUCH less dangerous lol.

Sep 22 05 01:33 pm Link

Model

PinayVampyre

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

That IS scary...

but it hasn't happened to me before, heheh...good thing.

To answer your question...hmmm I don't think the doctor herself/himself gives you the lenses.  As mentioned before, you can acquire lenses without prescriptions (size and grade).  But reading these horror stories, you might want to get your eyes fitted first hehe.

Sep 22 05 01:44 pm Link

Model

~*Isabel Aurora*~

PinayVampyre wrote:
That IS scary...

but it hasn't happened to me before, heheh...good thing.

To answer your question...hmmm I don't think the doctor herself/himself gives you the lenses.  As mentioned before, you can acquire lenses without prescriptions (size and grade).  But reading these horror stories, you might want to get your eyes fitted first hehe.

I think I will spring the extra money for an exam and everything *lol*

Sep 22 05 01:47 pm Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

Don't screw around with you eye sight.

Go to an eye Doctor to get them.

They will check your eyes and give you the right size in the perfect color you want.

There not free, but the medical profession (including OMD's) are used to vanity.

Sep 22 05 01:56 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

Acuvue is giving away a free trial pair of contacts (expires 10/15).  You would have to go into your optometrist to get a fitting though.  (And s/he is the one that would take the coupon.)

http://www.acuvue.com/pdf/free_trial_cert.pdf

Acuvue 2 Colours is on the list.

Sep 22 05 02:10 pm Link

Photographer

Peter Dattolo

Wolcott, Connecticut, US

A lady i worked with wore contacts for years and one day she couldnt see too good and went to the hospital. They took the contacts out and checked her eyes, the contacts mesed up her eyes and she was told she can never wear contacts again and was almost blinded by the ones she was wearing. Those were medically prescribed contacts, she had them checked every year or two years, whatever is the normal for contacts.

In her case she could see better but the muscles got used to not working and started to deteriorate. Her eyes started to basicaly take the form of the contacts which is what messed up her eyes. Your eyeballs are soft they will conform to the shape of something on them. I am not talking about the whole eyeball just the area where the contact is sitting.

Contacts are nice but stylish glass's work wonders.

Sep 22 05 02:30 pm Link

Photographer

David Scherer

I've used these types of contacts from time to time but keep the following in mind:

Your vision is reduced when wearing them, especially peripheral vision so be carefull as you won't see the same amount of detail as you can without them.

Only buy them from a reputable optemtrist's store, as they will be able to teach you how to properly use them and insert/remove them without damage. They will also make you aware of certian dangers of using contact lenses and what you can do to avoid them.

Only wear them an hour or so at a time for the job at hand and carry your contact solution kit with you so you can take them out as soon as the photos are done.

In my local area a single set of colored contacts costs aprox. $35.00 Canadian plus tax.

If they start to feel uncomfortable or any other symptoms develop, take them out immediatley.

Sep 22 05 07:14 pm Link

Model

Jordan

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

http://www.customcontacts.com/prostheti … etics.html
You have to have a script though.

I remember seeing an add in Vogue Mag for color contacts that you didnt need a trip to the eye doctor for.

Perhaps someone on here can find it? I tried but am not coming up with anything.

Sep 23 05 12:28 am Link

Model

Sascha

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

don't they have prescription free color contacts for those that just want to change colors and not need aid for seeing properly?

Sep 23 05 12:44 am Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

I'm sure they do, but you would need to know what dimensions (radius and thickness) to order for your eyes.

Sep 23 05 12:50 am Link

Makeup Artist

envymi

SHERMAN OAKS, California, US

Jordan wrote:
http://www.customcontacts.com/prosthetics/cosmetics.html
You have to have a script though.

I remember seeing an add in Vogue Mag for color contacts that you didnt need a trip to the eye doctor for.

Perhaps someone on here can find it? I tried but am not coming up with anything.

I think there's a Canadian company that usually advertises in the mags...
www.onlyonefix.com I think. BUT I wouldn't trust any contacts that you don't get fitted by a DR...the eyes are too delicate to mess around with. I have colored contacts from when I modeled and I only went through an optometrist to get them.

Sep 23 05 12:57 am Link

Photographer

G R E G

Tampa, Florida, US

You could just change your eye color after the shoot with a program like PS.  Let me know if I can help with that.

Sep 29 05 06:16 am Link