Forums > Model Colloquy > How do i do a faux hawk?

Model

Isis

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I want to do a shoot with that hairstyle, my hair is chin length.......

Sep 30 05 10:41 am Link

Model

Isis

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

bump*

Sep 30 05 11:19 am Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

I'd think you'd be pretty hard pressed getting the hawk in the fax machine, but that's just me. wink

Sep 30 05 11:40 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Please just don't.

I have seen exactly one person ever pull off a faux hawk. She's an old school deathrock chick who wasn't trying to make her hair look like a real mohawk.

Faux hawks make bay Jesus cry.

Sep 30 05 12:06 pm Link

Photographer

House of Indulgence

New York, New York, US

I have to disagree with Theda on this. Boys on the runway are still sporting the faux hawk. Plus some of the designers are carrying the modern punk torch in their ads and campaigns. It can be done well mwith the right concept. Besides the Mohawk Indians and Ritchie Stots (the guitarist for the Plasmatics who started the hair craze in the music world after watching Taxi Driver) can be the only one who can claim it as their "right" to wear the hairstyle.

A faux hawk is basically pinnig the hair and then gelling and spraying it to maintain the shape. I assisted on shoots where the stylist did the faux hawk. It took time. It is not something you can do by yourself with as much hair as you have.

But if you want to try it I suggest getting photo reference on the web and just trying it at home.

That is my 2 cents. Spend it how you wish...

Sep 30 05 12:13 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Just because the fashion world has embraced the faux-hawk for the next ten minutes doesn't mean it's good. Even if fashion magazines done by professional stylists, it still looks ridiculous. Just say no to mall-punk hair.

However, you're right about needing two pairs of hand after a point.

Sep 30 05 12:41 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

House of Indulgence wrote:
It took time. It is not something you can do by yourself with as much hair as you have.

Yep.

Since this is for a shoot and not something you'll be wearing all day, you won't need to go as far as say, using Elmer's Glue.  I recommend lots of back-combing (ratting), and lots of hairspray.  Have a friend help.  Lie on your side, and use large, heavy books to press it flat while it dries.

Sep 30 05 02:23 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

I gotta go with theda on this one, and not entirely because my ex-girlfriend's boyfriend has one...

Sep 30 05 02:26 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Does anyone still use Elmer's glue? I mean, they have this stuff called "gel" and blow driers now.  Smooth out gelled hair in sections straight up with one pair of hands whilst hair-spraying blow drying with the second pair of hands.

No back-combing. And really, really, really no elmers.

Sep 30 05 04:54 pm Link

Model

Amy Harber

Chicago, Illinois, US

I just did a shoot last weekend where we did a variation of a faux hawk with my hair.

several ponytails down the middle of my scalp and then teased out.

Oct 01 05 02:34 am Link

Model

Sascha

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

faux hawk... what is that?  Is my hairstyle on my kimono-shot avatar a faux hawk???

Oct 01 05 02:36 am Link

Model

SarahSVET

Los Angeles, California, US

faux hawks are awesome and hot and it does matter whats in fashion right now because thats shes trying to do..FASHION! I'd do it but my hair is like WAY too long..to keep the hawk up you'd need egg, elmers glue and hairspray..but elmers glue washes out right away so its not like it would stay in your hair forever.

Oct 01 05 03:41 am Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Josie Nutter wrote:

Yep.

Since this is for a shoot and not something you'll be wearing all day, you won't need to go as far as say, using Elmer's Glue.  I recommend lots of back-combing (ratting), and lots of hairspray.  Have a friend help.  Lie on your side, and use large, heavy books to press it flat while it dries.

Holy smokes! And I used to laugh at my cousin for wearing his mom's knee high pantyhose on his head at night. He was training his hair to go back cholo style. Lol.

Oct 01 05 04:17 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Eggs and Elmer's glue? 

Have you been watching SLC Punk too much?

It doesn't really matter how you do it, I guess, because it will still look like crap.  Go ahead and douse your head in egg whites and press it between two books.

Oct 01 05 09:34 am Link

Photographer

JMedkeff

Anchorage, Alaska, US

theda wrote:
Does anyone still use Elmer's glue?

Yeah. I just had a stylist use it on one of my jobs, to my surprise. His statement was to the effect that though gel is good, Elmer's holds better/stronger/longer.

Never heard of using egg. But then all I know about hair is that mine is falling out.

Oct 01 05 02:31 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

Hey, I used it as a teen and it worked fine.  Of course, I only washed my hair like once a week back then, so hey.  (And trying to sleep perfectly still is a pain in the ass.)

Oct 02 05 06:27 pm Link