Forums > Model Colloquy > john casablanca babrbizon and others.....

Model

ahdreamer1600

Springfield, Oregon, US

john photographer wrote:
f.       You don’t need to know how to walk on a runway.  OK, maybe if you are that tall skinny 16-year old you do, but the agency will teach you that in an hour.  Nobody else needs to learn the runway walk.  That’s not the kind of modeling they will do.

Exactly i figured out into it that it was a scam and luckly i got out with my money, but that is all they were teaching us, oh and how to do are make up with this crappy stuff they gave us!

Oct 07 05 06:54 pm Link

Model

AMIEL Mr March 2009

Greenbelt, Maryland, US

blacquejack wrote:
Just a question to models and photographers. What are your toughts and idea's about modeling schools/agencies like these john casablanca babrbizon and others.....

I'll post my views later:)

THEY ARE OU TTO GET $ FOR THEMSELVES. THEY ARE NOT INTERESTED IN GETTING WORK FOR U OR  $. A SCAM. HOW EVER MORE OF THE SMALLER AGENCIES STRIVE 2 GET PAID WORK FOR YOU!

Oct 16 05 05:04 pm Link

Model

MegB2084

Keego Harbor, Michigan, US

I went to barbizon. It's a waste of damned time. I did not learn anything. I had some fun and laughs but that's it. I got told I was too fat and I was 9 at the time. If you see my pics from then you can see that I wasn't fat but way too damned skinny. Waste of damned time that's for sure.

Oct 16 05 09:29 pm Link

Photographer

The Photo Chick

Fayetteville, North Carolina, US

So, like there is going to supposedly be this new TV show that is focusing on the various modeling scams to bring them public. It's in the same format as that show "Cheaters". Pilot hasn't been shot yet, but I met the people who were casting for potential 'undercover' volunteers. The casting itself sounded like a scam. Supposedly Todd Bridges wants to be the host.  I was there to meet the model who was hosting the casting session.

Oct 16 05 09:38 pm Link

Model

spyro2122

Orlando, Florida, US

speaking about agencies like them make me want to smash things.

Oct 16 05 09:42 pm Link

Photographer

The Photo Chick

Fayetteville, North Carolina, US

spyro2122 wrote:
speaking about agencies like them make me want to smash things.

Why? They don't bother me so much. Outta site...outta mind....all you can do is educate people, they do what they want anyway.

Oct 16 05 09:44 pm Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

One of the problems is that the "student's" expectations are set to high. Model schools no more guarantee you success in modeling than Medical schools do in Doctoring or Teaching Schools do in teaching or Photography Schools in Photography.
Barbazons ar locally owned, some are good some are not. I have worked with many models that have gone through their program and 85% were goo to excellent models.
To be successful in modeling you need the proper genetics plus hard work and as America's Top Model illustrates a little training is also necessary. Scam no, Expensive yes, worthwhile ????? it all depends on the genetics you bring and how hard you work. Living, or relocating to modeling meccas helps too
Bob

Oct 16 05 11:32 pm Link

Model

Joelle

Seattle, Washington, US

I once heard from a professional model turn agent (when she reached her elegant model years) that modeling schools take in everyone who will pay - those who can't really be model get hired as instructors.  So if model A can't actually be a model she goes on to be an instructor and teaches model B who can't get jobs either so she gets hired as an instructor to teach model C.

So really model C was taught by a non-model who was taught by a non model neither with job experience...so what is model c paying for?

Oct 17 05 04:53 pm Link

Model

Mz Nova

Portland, Oregon, US

Hum...barbizon is not good, neither is JC.  I foolishly went to barbizon, though i did learn quite a bt.  I frankly didn't know a damn thing about makeup, i do now, i learned how to dress like a normal person rather than an eccentric teen, and realized that i might actually be pretty...pretty enough to model.  It seemed to me a "finishing school" reather than a modeling school-and did i need some finishing!

i also learn that people are dishonest, that you need to watch out for "friendly people who want to help you make it," that money really is the goal of many people no matter how you get it, and that i should watch my back and my wallet. So it jaded me-which i also needed because i was too trusting. beagh! no more of this believeing in the good in people! So when a few otehr "agencies" said, "we are interested in you, but you need to take some classes" is said, "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me."

i have gotten a few jobs-one offer was for signing people up for barbizon classes and it said, "hell no, unless i can say its a finsihing school, but ill be honest with people and say it is not a modeling school." the barbizon here is run by a bunch of crazy lying bitches, though, and i have been yelled at a few times.  i have also lost a few potential agencies because i mentioned i went to barbizon. guess i won't mention that anymore.

Oct 17 05 06:08 pm Link

Model

ruby_marquis

Elk Grove, California, US

I know the thread is getting abit cold, but I wanted to drop in anyway. smile

I myself went to Barbizon in San Francisco on a whim ad a friend's urging when I was around 15. I will agree that for a large part, it is indeed more akin to finishig school. Of course, finishing never killed anyone, but if finances are tough, the pricetag may. smile

When I started with them, I actually had never had any intent on being a model, part-time, full-time or otherwise, so I didn't expect a hell of a lot. It was kind of like, "It's here, the staff and the girls are fun, I'm tall, why not". *laugh*. Truth be told, I did learn some from the instructors they had at the time, (now this is over 10 years ago), I had a good time every weekend, I got some work while I was there, including a gig for CK One, which was a nice little boost for a 15 year-old girl and a staff member got me the contact at my first agency. What I did at the time with them doesn't resemble the kind of work I do now, but I don't look back on the experience with any sort of "venom", shall we say.

Could I have done those things without them? Most probably. Of course, I hadn't put much thought at all into modelling more than a couple of catalogs I did as a child. So maybe the biggest thing I got was exposure to the industry and the seed of possibility that I may have some little spot in it. It's another form of expression to me and I never entertained becoming Linda Evangellista so I wasn't let down in the end.

Oct 18 05 08:29 am Link

Photographer

Dev

Clearwater, Florida, US

I wonder what daily classes would be like. I have a pictures of etiquette classes running through my mind.

Oct 18 05 09:15 am Link

Photographer

Sharon Gutowski

St Louis, Saskatchewan, Canada

I wonder what kind of experience they give.  I worked in a mall and John Casablanca's had these poor girls dressed by Charlotte Rousse, posing behind the windows like mannequins.  They had to sit perfectly still, avoid eye contact with shoppers and not talk to anyone.  It was creepy-looking and not what modeling is really like. 

I was curious and when I went over to see who they were the woman from JC was *obnoxious.*  Obviously anyone under 25 and female wants to pay a ton of money to pretend to be a model.  I'll stick to actually being a photographer, thanks.

Oct 18 05 09:29 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

The Dezigner Emporium

Chicago, Illinois, US

The best training can only come from people in your industry....fellow models, photographer or stylists. Most people at these places are just markerters, recruiters, etc. No prior experience.

Oct 20 05 10:55 am Link

Model

haitherelilu

Los Angeles, California, US

Printmakeup wrote:
I agree with the others, they are mostly scams as are conventions, and a lot of the online agencies such as Trans Continental Talent. If you have any true potential as a model all it takes is a few snapshots, send them into an agency and they will tell you if you have any potential or are interested in working with you. I know plenty of models who are signed with big agencies who never paid a dime in their lives on classes, or paying a photographer (no offense to the photographers out there, because i know you need to make a living wink Or if you want to go the web model route, just find photographers to test and build your book with, until you gain enough experience and a good enough portfolio to ask for paying work (this does NOT come after doing 2 shoots by the way)

how did they manage to get free portfolio photos? the ones that signed with agencies i mean...dont most pay for their portfolio? (they pick the photographer of course) just like an actor would pay for his headshots

Oct 22 05 01:45 am Link

Model

Rafael

Los Angeles, California, US

SCAM. waste of money and time.

Real legit agencies (if your really worth it) will train you and you get real experience because they send you to castings right away as soon as you got a book. In my case, Im not really a 'model' I just do it on the side and I didnt need school - its just something you have to learn through experience in the industry. There are far more professional models with no prior modeling experience than those with schooling.

Oct 25 05 05:22 am Link