Model

RDawkins

Breckenridge, Colorado, US

Mar 01 08 10:02 pm Link

Photographer

Lucinda Wedge

Littlerock, California, US

Holden wrote:
Okay, sometimes I think I'm just whispering in the dark.

You're soooo not alone.  MANY of us enjoy this thread a great deal smile  Keep inspiring, please?

Mar 01 08 10:06 pm Link

Photographer

Mr and Mrs Huber

Santa Rosalía, Baja California Sur, Mexico

MM... beholden to Holden indeed.
T.Y. for your work here... I've never been able to work my way through it in one sitting.. just as it would be crude to try to swallow all of a Museum's collection at one pass.

Brings up the interesting notion of considering this thread the "Holdings" (pun intended) and then inviting particulars to "guest curate" selections of these images grouped according to a theme or thread.... THAT would be interesting, and quite possibly mildly ground breaking (you'd know better) within the strict contexts we are operating in here.
(free website, ad-hoc members... etc. ad nauseum)

Mar 01 08 10:07 pm Link

Model

RDawkins

Mar 01 08 10:08 pm Link

Model

RDawkins

Photon Mechanic wrote:
MM... beholden to Holden indeed.
T.Y. for your work here... I've never been able to work my way through it in one sitting.. just as it would be crude to try to swallow all of a Museum's collection at one pass.

Brings up the interesting notion of considering this thread the "Holdings" (pun intended) and then inviting particulars to "guest curate" selections of these images grouped according to a theme or thread.... THAT would be interesting, and quite possibly mildly ground breaking (you'd know better) within the strict contexts we are operating in here.
(free website, ad-hoc members... etc. ad nauseum)

Thank you, and I quite like your idea. Let me mull over particulars and workings.

xx to all who come here.

Mar 01 08 10:10 pm Link

Model

RDawkins

Mar 01 08 10:14 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

San Francisco, California, US

You need to come out of retirement and work with me.

Mar 01 08 10:20 pm Link

Model

RDawkins

Mar 01 08 10:20 pm Link

Model

RDawkins

Since I'm listening to Sufjan Stevens and feeling a little emo, I'm going to make a little statement about why these photographs have been chosen by me.

There are many reasons of course, but what strikes me as I look them over every day, is that what moves me is the expression of something purely human.

Some of these photographs are "fashion", but as a fashion model once told me, "Fashion is a feel." The fashion photographs go beyond selling beauty/lifestyle and into both the eyes and mind of the photographed and the photographer.

There is almost always a story.

Some of the photographs are "fetish". But what gets to me is not a shock-value or simply titillating subject. It's when the photograph cuts deeper into the very nature of the captivation, taking a risk, and exposing most of all himself.

I think the portraits are the most amazing to my eyes.

It's not easy to take a portrait (it's not easy to take a great photograph). It might be an oversimplification to say I love a portrait when I can feel what it is to be the subject. I think the photographer has to do this for me to even get close.

That's all I'm going to reveal for now...but overall...this entire thread is not about great photographers.  It's about great photographs.

EDIT: Before I leave (and I get to go to a party and look at actual PRINTS tonight!)...I just want to thank sincerely and fully the artists who made these images. You are my teachers, and my (to borrow from Brecht) hammers to use to shape my world, my view...and I'm sure others'.

Mar 01 08 10:31 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

San Francisco, California, US

Holden wrote:
Since I'm listening to Sufjan Stevens and feeling a little emo, I'm going to make a little statement about why these photographs have been chosen by me.

There are many reasons of course, but what strikes me as I look them over every day, is that what moves me is the expression of something purely human.

Some of these photographs are "fashion", but as a fashion model once told me, "Fashion is a feel." The fashion photographs go beyond selling beauty/lifestyle and into both the eyes and mind of the photographed and the photographer.

There is almost always a story.

Some of the photographs are "fetish". But what gets to me is not a shock-value or simply titillating subject. It's when the photograph cuts deeper into the very nature of the captivation, taking a risk, and exposing most of all himself.

I think the portraits are the most amazing to my eyes.

It's not easy to take a portrait (it's not easy to take a great photograph). It might be an oversimplification to say I love a portrait when I can feel what it is to be the subject. I think the photographer has to do this for me to even get close.

That's all I'm going to reveal for now...but overall...this entire thread is not about great photographers.  It's about great photographs.

EDIT: Before I leave (and I get to go to a party and look at actual PRINTS tonight!)...I just want to thank sincerely and fully the artists who made these images. You are my teachers, and my (to borrow from Brecht) hammers to use to shape my world, my view...and I'm sure others'.

Similar to what you have told me about this image taken by me. That wanted you to work with me. I think that we should work on that project that we briefly discussed sometime back. If you are down. It'd be nice Golden Holden.

https://img7.modelmayhem.com/070504/15/463b876a5647c.jpg

Mar 02 08 02:45 am Link

Model

RDawkins

Holden wrote:
The pagely blog plug.

http://holdenarchive.blogspot.com

Mar 02 08 10:38 am Link

Model

RDawkins

Mar 02 08 10:46 am Link

Model

RDawkins

Mar 02 08 10:51 am Link

Model

RDawkins

Mar 02 08 10:56 am Link

Model

RDawkins

Mar 02 08 11:06 am Link

Model

RDawkins

Mar 02 08 11:13 am Link

Model

RDawkins

Mar 02 08 11:20 am Link

Model

RDawkins

Mar 02 08 01:42 pm Link

Model

RDawkins

Mar 02 08 01:48 pm Link

Model

RDawkins

Mar 02 08 02:34 pm Link

Model

RDawkins

Mar 02 08 02:38 pm Link

Model

RDawkins

Mar 02 08 02:46 pm Link

Model

RDawkins

Mar 02 08 02:51 pm Link

Model

RDawkins

Mar 02 08 02:56 pm Link

Photographer

LeDeux Art

San Ramon, California, US

Holden wrote:

i love you for this Holden, what a wealth of inspiration, thank you

Mar 02 08 02:58 pm Link

Model

RDawkins

Mar 02 08 03:02 pm Link

Model

RDawkins

Mar 02 08 03:06 pm Link

Model

D M M

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Still checking this thread daily for inspiration. big_smile smile

Mar 02 08 03:39 pm Link

Model

RDawkins

Mar 02 08 08:33 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

oh yay big_smile

Keep up the awesomeness.

Mar 02 08 09:35 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Puff

Montara, California, US

Holden's list is always interesting.  Personally, I would consider it more of a "gallery" than a "museum", but that's likely only a matter of semantics.  Most museums would not have a single curator.  But then, many many museums have built their reputation on the vision of a single curator and many galleries owe their museum like stature to the vision of a single curator.  Whatever the semantics, museum or gallery, Holden's List remains an exciting compilation of work.

I visit Holden's List whenever I see it pop up to the top of the forum.  Sometimes I see a photographer's work and say yes, I would make that choice.  Sometimes I see work and wonder "what the hell is Holden thinking?".  I look closer...sometimes I can say "oh, I see" and sometimes I can't see.  But the bottom line is that Holden commands my attention...I look.  I enjoy looking.  I enjoy how Holden challenges me.  Keep going, please, you are not whispering, your voice is strong and eloquent.

P.S.  Are you attending any of the three new works series performances at the end of this SF Ballet season?

Mar 02 08 11:44 pm Link

Model

RDawkins

Mar 03 08 10:48 am Link

Photographer

A Visual Paradox

Carmel, California, US

Michael Puff wrote:
Holden's list is always interesting.  Personally, I would consider it more of a "gallery" than a "museum", but that's likely only a matter of semantics.  Most museums would not have a single curator.  But then, many many museums have built their reputation on the vision of a single curator and many galleries owe their museum like stature to the vision of a single curator.  Whatever the semantics, museum or gallery, Holden's List remains an exciting compilation of work.

Michael,
You echo my exact sentiments.

I visit Holden's List whenever I see it pop up to the top of the forum.  Sometimes I see a photographer's work and say yes, I would make that choice.  Sometimes I see work and wonder "what the hell is Holden thinking?".  I look closer...sometimes I can say "oh, I see" and sometimes I can't see.  But the bottom line is that Holden commands my attention...I look.  I enjoy looking.  I enjoy how Holden challenges me.  Keep going, please, you are not whispering, your voice is strong and eloquent.

P.S.  Are you attending any of the three new works series performances at the end of this SF Ballet season?

Mar 03 08 01:22 pm Link

Model

RDawkins

Mar 03 08 11:58 pm Link

Model

RDawkins

Mar 04 08 12:02 am Link

Model

RDawkins