Forums > Model Colloquy > Models With Eyes Sensitive To Light

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

I am deleting this post. I got a good idea from someone to help the situation. I looked back through some of the photographs. The look in some of them is sort of a sexy dreamy sleep sort of squint which actually works in some of the shots. I may be posting one in my profile soon. Look for the African American/Korean girl with curly hair.

EDIT: She is now my new main.

Oct 08 05 10:37 pm Link

Photographer

Digiography

Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada

If the model just covers her/his eyes for a few seconds before the shot it usually takes a few seconds for the eye to react and squint in  bright light conditions.  The photographer and the model have to co-ordinate their efforts as people tend  only to be able to hold off squinting for a few seconds using this technique.

Oct 08 05 10:43 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

Digiography wrote:
If the model just covers her/his eyes for a few seconds before the shot it usually takes a few seconds for the eye to react and squint in  bright light conditions.  The photographer and the model have to co-ordinate their efforts as people tend  only to be able to hold off squinting for a few seconds using this technique.

Good point. Sort of a 1,2,3 now thing.

Oct 08 05 10:44 pm Link

Model

na52

lol...my eyes are kind of sensitive...people always laugh at me when i open a door and turn and close it 2 put on my shades because its too bright outside... and a few times i've been on shoots where its been a little annoying...but i just suck it up and do my job with a smile..

Oct 08 05 10:45 pm Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

I have green eyes, it happens and you deal.

Oct 08 05 10:46 pm Link

Photographer

Kiran Patil

Newark, Delaware, US

Fashion and glamour models close their eyes and then open the wide repeatidly throughout the shoot. Keep them closed for a few seconds, open, close for a few seconds, open. Modern fashion photographers shoot use a film winder and are capturing several shots in succession. They'll get some with the model's eyes closed - but there will also be shots with their eyes open.

If you are shooting non-fashion/glamour then you can still use this technique. The photographer has to pay attention and guess when the model closes their eyes. If you use the same amount of seconds between opening and closing you can create a rythym (sp?) which makes it easier on the photographer.

Anyone else know tricks used? This is the only one I am aware of.

EDIT: Sorry, a lot of people posted while I wrote this. Didn't mean to write the same thing as Digiography. He's spot on - it's a great technique.

Oct 08 05 10:50 pm Link

Photographer

Harry Young

Los Angeles, California, US

with models who have this problem ...
I just get them into the pose,
tell them to close their eyes & only open their eyes when I say "open".
then I compose the shot, focus, and say "open".

seems to work most of the time.

Oct 08 05 10:57 pm Link

Model

spyro2122

Orlando, Florida, US

I have really sensitive eyes. so I have the photographer count to three then I open them.

Oct 13 05 08:39 am Link