Forums > Model Colloquy > Preferred music during shoots?

Photographer

R. Olson (RO)

Seattle, Washington, US

I am aware of a previous posting concerning this, but I was wanting to know from both sides what style of music works best or perhaps the artists? Some peers suggest early Madonna or Prince music but what else would be helpful to a shoot? Thanks for the input.

Oct 11 05 02:07 pm Link

Model

K-A

Healdsburg, California, US

i think best music to listen to during shoot is totally subjective. what music inspires you? your model?

Oct 11 05 02:11 pm Link

Oct 11 05 03:57 pm Link

Photographer

Danatko

New York, New York, US

For some reason, I do not listen to music while on a shoot :S
I get distracted, I will usually turn everything off. I like the concentration silence brings!

-DM

Oct 12 05 01:49 am Link

Model

Inque

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

For me, music does anything but district me...in fact music helps me switch my mood up, the music affects how i think and feel...so I think that works well. So i tend to listen to whatever fits what I am going for, usually i pick out of rock, jpop/rock and dance music of some sort.

Oct 12 05 02:30 am Link

Photographer

Moraxian

Germantown, Maryland, US

It depends on the model really, although occasionally I do video clips (with sound) so the music needs to be turned down.

On one hotel shoot (with Galatea) we had the TV on and it was Adam Sandler weekend on USA.  Have you ever tried shooting Damsel-in-distress photos with "Little Nicky" on as background noise???  Oy.  smile

Funny movie though.

Oct 12 05 08:22 am Link

Photographer

500 Gigs of Desire

New York, New York, US

Thievery Corporation.

Oct 12 05 08:28 am Link

Photographer

Bill Tracy Photography

Montague, New Jersey, US

I think most models like to listen to music during a shoot, and most photographers don't - lol!

I had a girl who insisted on playing a CD from her band - it was horrible!  I had to tell her to turn it off, or maybe we could do some shots with you wearing headphones?

I personally would rather have silence during a shoot.
I listen to music while editing instead.

Oct 12 05 08:34 am Link

Photographer

Paul Ward

New York, New York, US

no music.

no distractions.

no "bopping" while i'm trying to get you to pose a certain way.

the only music i want to hear is the sound of my own voice directing the model how to pose and he/she going "like this?"  "ok!"

total concentration on the job at hand please.

Oct 12 05 09:25 am Link

Photographer

Christopher M

Sioux City, Iowa, US

For music i will normally put on some industrial music or ambient music, recently i have been listen and using my cd "night on Fire" by VHS or Beta, its like modenr new wave.... I refuse to hear rap music while I am shooting Ill listen to almost anything else.

Oct 12 05 09:31 am Link

Photographer

Nicholson Photography

Columbus, Georgia, US

how can you have a shoot with out music.
you gots to have your techno blasting in the background.

i always ask the model what they would like to listen to and find it on iTunes radio.

Oct 12 05 09:54 am Link

Photographer

RobHowardStudios

Mount Pleasant, Michigan, US

Whatever the model likes that fits the mood of the shoot!

Oct 12 05 11:59 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

If I want the model to move around, whatever gets the model moving. Also, if I want some big smile shots or laughter shots, I make sure to have a CD of audio of one of their favorite comedians or have them bring one if they have one. Or I surprise them with one of my favorites that they may not have heard before.

If you perhaps are doing some art nude or perhaps even some slighty edgy nudes, depending on the model a CD by Enigma at low volume can really set a mood.

EDIT: I also like drum beats in some cases. an audio of "STOMP" can be cool, as can a Japanese (Or maybe it is Chinese?)group playing those giant drums that are on their side and they have to use big sticks to play them,lol.
Techno can be cool, some various noise type CDs can be cool. The kind with lots of metal clanging around, beating on bottles and such. But stuff like that is more for the edgier type shoots.
Tool is another good one.

-Sarcasm- However , I strongly recommend against anything with running water sounds when working with an art nude model. So, those mood calming bubbling brook nature type cds are a big no no -and sarcasm-

Oct 12 05 12:03 pm Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

Music on the set is a must.

I'll let the model pick first, but most don't care.

I have yet to shoot a model in the studio who does not like or want music playing.

If anything it adds to the creative tone.

Oct 12 05 12:03 pm Link

Photographer

VisionsofZen

Berkeley, California, US

I usually go for what works for the model.  Music tends to help the model relax, have more energy and attitude.

Oct 12 05 12:05 pm Link

Model

pamela mars

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

system of a f***in down!!!!!!!
i don't know about you-but that keeps me focused.

Oct 12 05 12:05 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

C R Photography wrote:
If anything it adds to the creative tone.

Exactly. I recall as far back as junior high art class where the art teacher always had music going for us. She was one of the few at the time who understood how having the right brain and left brain working together, the creative process can be much more....... creative.

Oct 12 05 12:08 pm Link

Photographer

Zachary Reed

Denver, Colorado, US

usually its whatever the model wants

Oct 12 05 12:08 pm Link

Photographer

commart

Hagerstown, Maryland, US

The most important thing I can control in a shoot, int. or ext., I feel, is the feel of the passage of time as moods and moments have pace as well as affect (comedy/tragedy).  In interiors, temperature first, then music, which then becomes as much a part of the character of the shoot as light.  For a head shot with a fifties look

https://www.communicating-arts.com/images/050114-111-cr-200xweb.jpg

"Johnny Angel".

For Lora's thing with the bottle and lipstick, Bonnie Rait's "Luck of the Draw".

In any case, what happens, or what I want to happen, is not what I or the model want, but what the work wants.  It should have its own life.

Oct 12 05 12:39 pm Link

Model

spyro2122

Orlando, Florida, US

I usually model with no music. but when i do i like things with good beats to them,

Oct 12 05 01:11 pm Link