Model

0000000None

Agana Heights, Guam, US

What are your rates for commercial print ads?

Oct 11 05 02:14 pm Link

Photographer

Karl Blessing

Caledonia, Michigan, US

This applies more towards photographers selling their works, but could be used as a guideline for models who have images of their likeness that they own and are selling for commercial use. The calculator will give you the averages between low price and high price.

http://photographersindex.com/stockprice.htm

Oct 11 05 02:30 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Merlot wrote:
What are your rates for commercial print ads?

Whatever the client is budgeted for.

Oct 11 05 04:20 pm Link

Photographer

EMG STUDIOS

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

theda wrote:

Whatever the client is budgeted for.

Makes sense! I always ask; what's the budget?  I'll make a grand this weekend shooting 1 model for 1 image. It could take 8 hours, it could take 1 hour.  The budget and exposure could also dictate your effort, would you bust your ass for $100 with major exposure the same way you would for $1000 with no exposure?

Oct 11 05 05:20 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Exposure? Not a factor in my ass-busting.

Oct 11 05 08:54 pm Link

Photographer

James Graham

Brooklyn, New York, US

Wait until you see the pissed off Bunny shot!

Oct 11 05 08:59 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

James Graham wrote:
Wait until you see the pissed off Bunny shot!

Will it make me famous over night?

Oct 11 05 09:05 pm Link

Photographer

James Graham

Brooklyn, New York, US

Perhaps...

Stranger things have happened.

; )

Oct 11 05 09:08 pm Link

Model

0000000None

Agana Heights, Guam, US

Well. someone is asking me (a client who does not yet have a photographer in mind)  what I would charge to be in his ads and on his commercials.   And I haven't a clue...

Oct 11 05 09:23 pm Link

Photographer

EMG STUDIOS

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I suggest quoting a day rate, but you could always not give a rate and instead say; " I have a day rate which is X amount of dollars but I always try to work within my clients budget, what's your budget for this project?"

Oct 11 05 09:32 pm Link

Photographer

hypolux

Atlanta, Georgia, US

EMG STUDIOS wrote:
I suggest quoting a day rate, but you could always not give a rate and instead say; " I have a day rate which is X amount of dollars but I always try to work within my clients budget, what's your budget for this project?"

Seems like sound and fair advice to me - You're a bright lady Merlot, I think you'll get this one sorted out w. few problems if its legit smile  Congrats in advance if things all work out too, you're a hard working woman, I'd certainly argue you deserve it!

Oct 11 05 11:50 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

Dayrate for an agency model in San Diego was $1300 last time I checked.  It varies from place to place.

-Don

Oct 11 05 11:58 pm Link

Photographer

Aaron_H

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

It varies according to the scope and time period of the usage. You need to find out what publications the ads will run in, at what sizes, how many insertions, for what length of time, and similar info about the usage for TV commercials. Once you do that you could call a legit agency in your area and inquire about rates for that kind of usage as if you were a client looking for a model, or else you could contact a good agency and ask them to negotiate the gig for you. Any agency will do that for you and take a cut, even if they've never dealt with you before or don't have an interest in signing you in general.

You might rather not give up 20%, but on the other hand an experienced agent might get you more, maybe much more, even considering the %, than you could get on your own if you don't know what you're doing. They might save you from totally screwing yourself one way or another depending on what you might have otherwise signed and what might end up happening with the photos.

However, at the risk of being a 3 handed mutant, on yet another hand this sounds like a small time/inexperienced (and probably cheap) client finding models in unconventional ways instead of going through an agency. He probably doesn't want to deal with an agency and he might decide against using you if you brought an agent in to negotiate the deal. That might be ok if you get the needed info, get good advice, don't sign away more than you should and get paid reasonably, but there's a good chance, or at least a possibility that you should look out for, that he'll be trying to take advantage of you. If what he's offering is way out of line with what your investigation shows that you should be getting than you'll have to decide if it's enough for your or not.

Don't forget that if you use the first method and the agency quotes you a thousand bucks (for the sake of argument) that you'd get 800 of that through an agency, so use that to gage if he's just saving the agency fees (because they'd charge him 20% too and collect $1200) or if he's offering significantly less than you'd get with an agency. But also make sure that you understand what the agency is quoting, are they saying the modeling fee is $1000 and you'd have to pay your 20% on top of that or are they saying a grand including the agency fee?

Oct 13 05 03:29 am Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

EMG STUDIOS wrote:

Makes sense! I always ask; what's the budget?  I'll make a grand this weekend shooting 1 model for 1 image. It could take 8 hours, it could take 1 hour.  The budget and exposure could also dictate your effort, would you bust your ass for $100 with major exposure the same way you would for $1000 with no exposure?

No. Not when it's commercial. Not when the images are income-generating to the client. That's the work you do for money. That's how the bills get paid.

Besides, commercial work is rarely that great for "exposure" purposes. That's what editorial is for.

Oct 13 05 03:42 am Link