Forums > General Industry > Being Negative Versus Posing A Different Opinion

Photographer

VisionsofZen

Berkeley, California, US

Joe K. Perez wrote:
You want my honest opinion about the rude part?

It goes like this, they are greedy for business, small minded, and don't realize that the Internet makes it real easy for Solomon Shithead to think I'm sitting right across the street from him stealing his customers.

That's why they are rude and quick to tear other people down. Small minded fucks.

If they were smart, they'd be doing like me and others...build people up so that if a customer local to them wanted/needed references then, they can point them to MM and have us vouch for them.

There's not too many photographers like me in my area (Antioch and neighboring locales) producing images like I do. And there are lots who want to get into modeling and onto sites like these with good quality and stylized images. It would be nice if I had people in this community to be able to say to people of Antioch something like, "Yeah, you can count on JKP. He's one of the best your particular area has to offer", because that is exactly what I do for photographers in other Localities who use the Internet and ask me for a shoot. I tell them, "Well, it wouldn't be practical for you to come all the way out to Antioch, California when you've got Mr. or Miss 'So-and-so' in your area who I think does an outstanding quality job. It's in your best interests to try them first and use out-of-state referrals as a last option".

See how the referral system could work to everyones' advantage? But nooooo. We've got a few assholes and dipshits on this site who have nothing better to do but be greedy and rude with their peers. They don't see the bigger picture.

Maybe, I'm just too much of an idealist and optimist to think we can help each other out that way.

Edited: Moving this piece as a response to GB.

Here here!

Oct 12 05 02:08 pm Link

Photographer

VisionsofZen

Berkeley, California, US

Joe K. Perez wrote:
You want my honest opinion about the rude part?

It goes like this, they are greedy for business, small minded, and don't realize that the Internet makes it real easy for Solomon Shithead to think I'm sitting right across the street from him stealing his customers.

That's why they are rude and quick to tear other people down. Small minded fucks.

If they were smart, they'd be doing like me and others...build people up so that if a customer local to them wanted/needed references then, they can point them to MM and have us vouch for them.

There's not too many photographers like me in my area (Antioch and neighboring locales) producing images like I do. And there are lots who want to get into modeling and onto sites like these with good quality and stylized images. It would be nice if I had people in this community to be able to say to people of Antioch something like, "Yeah, you can count on JKP. He's one of the best your particular area has to offer", because that is exactly what I do for photographers in other Localities who use the Internet and ask me for a shoot. I tell them, "Well, it wouldn't be practical for you to come all the way out to Antioch, California when you've got Mr. or Miss 'So-and-so' in your area who I think does an outstanding quality job. It's in your best interests to try them first and use out-of-state referrals as a last option".

See how the referral system could work to everyones' advantage? But nooooo. We've got a few assholes and dipshits on this site who have nothing better to do but be greedy and rude with their peers. They don't see the bigger picture.

Maybe, I'm just too much of an idealist and optimist to think we can help each other out that way.

Edited: Moving this piece as a response to GB.

Another thing Joe about dealing with peers, you know, event though you and I are within 40 min of eachother, our styles are totally different and in my book, there is plenty of room.

Oct 12 05 02:12 pm Link

Photographer

EMG STUDIOS

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Zendragon wrote:
Another thing Joe about dealing with peers, you know, event though you and I are within 40 min of eachother, our styles are totally different and in my book, there is plenty of room.

I work in a market that is flooded with photographers and even share a studio with one of them that is producing likewise work. For markets sake, people that want to work with you will find you, and nothing will stop them. I talk to and meet with on a regular basis with like minded photographer in Philly and we shoot the shit, talk about models, share insider information all the time. The rivalry between photographers is really superficial.

Oct 12 05 02:21 pm Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Zendragon wrote:
...Another thing Joe about dealing with peers, you know, event though you and I are within 40 min of eachother, our styles are totally different and in my book, there is plenty of room.

That's exactly the kind of attitude and team spirit I look for in other people. Some jobs might come along that might require two, or more Photographers with/without PhotoShop and other skills. It's always good to know people well enough so that when that day comes, it's a relief to be able to say, "Zendragon, Glamour Boulevard, McMadCow, EMG, or W. Manuel will be perfect to bring in as additional muscle". And from there, you go into the logistics. Who's closer and available?

Man, I wish things could be like that. I see it as a smarter way of thinking and working. Like you said, there is plenty of room and plentier to go around. smile

Oct 12 05 02:54 pm Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

VirtuaMike wrote:
If the image is technically weak to the point where all I see are the flaws, then that's what's gonna get my attention.

As it should.  But both points of view should be considered in the critique as opposed to being totally one-sided.  When the technical aspect is the only thing disclosed in the commentary it only works to improve one aspect.  It is far more helpful to those if they know the concept worked but the execution failed, or vice-versa.

That becomes the true value of the critique process.

Oct 12 05 08:08 pm Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

Joe K. Perez wrote:

Bingo.

Oct 12 05 08:18 pm Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

The HUGE problem with this post is that a lot of people simply do not understand the concept of critique. 

Here's the deal: If you've got something negative to say about a photograph, then suggest a means for improving it.  There are many different skill levels on Model Mayhem and it never hurts to give a newbie a foot-up. 

If you can't put a civilized spin on what you've got to say, then don't say anything.  Simple.  Intentionally going out of your way to piss people off makes you look like an ass (and accomplishes nothing.)

Oct 12 05 08:26 pm Link

Photographer

area291

William Kious wrote:
Intentionally going out of your way to piss people off makes you look like an ass (and accomplishes nothing.)

"Find better photographers."  You mean deep commentary like that?  I see that all the time (although, not by you).

Actually, that statement wouldn't be so out of line if there was some depth given as to what specifically to look for in choosing a photographer.  But when it stands alone it gives nothing more than appearance to choose those that are just like me...and that fails miserably.

Oct 12 05 08:34 pm Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

area291 wrote:
"Find better photographers."  You mean deep commentary like that?  I see that all the time (although, not by you).

Actually, that statement wouldn't be so out of line if there was some depth given as to what specifically to look for in choosing a photographer.  But when it stands alone it gives nothing more than appearance to choose those that are just like me...and that fails miserably.

I get sick of seeing, "find better photographers".  I like to put myself in the shoes of the person who took the picture.  Maybe it was the best he/she could possibly do at that point in his/her career.  How do you think that person reading, "the shot sucks" (or some other pithy bullshit)?

Oct 12 05 08:51 pm Link

Photographer

groupw

Maricopa, Arizona, US

There is a saying, "A rising tide raises all ships". Those who tear down others tear themselves down, too...

Oct 12 05 09:10 pm Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

William Kious wrote:
I get sick of seeing, "find better photographers".  I like to put myself in the shoes of the person who took the picture.  Maybe it was the best he/she could possibly do at that point in his/her career.  How do you think that person reading, "the shot sucks" (or some other pithy bullshit)?

Interesting perspective.  It's the model that's being critiqued at that point and she doesn't have control of the lighting and generally the background.  If the model looks good but her pics suck, there's not much more you can say.

OTOH, if it's the photographer posting the same image, you can tell him how to fix his lighting, or maybe just get another job. wink wink

Paul

Oct 13 05 01:31 am Link

Photographer

area291

Paul Ferrara wrote:
Interesting perspective.  It's the model that's being critiqued at that point and she doesn't have control of the lighting and generally the background.  If the model looks good but her pics suck, there's not much more you can say...

That's the heart of it...there is much more that can be said.  It becomes a critique of no value without further explanation as to why and what to look for in the future when choosing a photographer.

"Get a better photographer" is undefined.  It could mean better lighting, or it could be one that has a better sense of presentation for those with good technical expertise but are unfamiliar with the best way to present models for the area of work they seek. 

It's also like telling a small child to be careful when walking down the steps.  It is far more effective to give that conceptual directive some form of action that is understood by telling the child to hold the handrail.

"Get a better photographer" as the primary statement takes an important role of the model out of the critique process as it doesn't give any informed opinion as to whether there is a degree of success in presentation or attributes.  Those areas are far more important as the best photographer in the world can't necessarily create a model if those elements are missing.  A better photographer does not qualify whether one is a model, no matter how hard some try to put that square peg in a round hole...

Oct 13 05 08:42 am Link

Makeup Artist

Tracey Masterson

Shelton, Connecticut, US

Why would you look for a professional critique here?  Or expect it?  This is a place to socialize for me, not get some deep perspective on my work or have it critiqued.  That is what an agency director is for. 
I am not saying don't ask for one, but I think people are expecting too much.
Also, it is often difficult to judge whether someone is being rude or just trying to help when you are reading what they are saying, rather than hearing it.  That is why I never go to bed angry or have a fight online.  It is just ridiculous because things get misunderstood.

Edit to add to OP, yes people take everything and make it negative rather than listen to what people are trying to say.  I remember reading a critique of a shot Bruce Caines did (B, where are you? lol)  and someone said something negative and he was like, cool, I respect your opinion, but I respectfully disagree.  End of story.

Oct 13 05 08:51 am Link