Forums > Model Colloquy > Can we shoot ? Um...

Photographer

VRG Photography

Tallahassee, Florida, US

I remember when I first started shooting models here in Chicago. I contacted some models for TFP shoots, some were interested, some not.

Now, I don't think that my work was crappy, but my ONLINE images left a lot to be desired. When the model actually saw my book and other images, she got a different picture of the type of photographer I was.

I have BOOKS of nice, crisp slides, and my print work from film was included, as well.

Being as though I was just learning about how to scan images and had very little experience with photo editing software (I think I was using MS Photo Editor or something like that), my pictures really looked crappy.

The models who looked beyond my editing deficiencies were great, as we put together some really good work at the time. I hope to shoot with some of them again in the near future.

I guess I said all that to say that I can understand not wanting to shoot with a photographer at a certain point, but how you answer them could inspire them to become better quicker, and you could end up doing some really great work when they get to a higher level of shooting.

Oct 15 05 10:01 am Link

Photographer

Marcus J. Ranum

MORRISDALE, Pennsylvania, US

Mariska wrote:
My question ? How do you turn down a photographer ?

Just be honest.

"Thanks for contacting me, but I am not interested in posing for you at this time."

I've had models contact me and responded similarly. Sometimes they fire back with "why not?" and get:
"Since you asked why I wasn't interested in shooting with you, I'll be equally direct in my response. No offense is intended but: { reason }"

mjr.

Oct 15 05 10:09 am Link

Model

Kyung Jin

London, England, United Kingdom

Professional relationship.
You dont have to lie or add some remarks you dont think, he may never find out that you lied but that is not professional to do so.

He has a product to offer you may or may not like it, just be HONEST. If he sees any offences in a professional answer he is not behaving professionally and It would be a really bad start anyway wink

Oct 15 05 10:49 am Link