Forums > Model Colloquy > Could use some advice please...

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I was approached today and asked if I would like to do a pinup calendar by a guy here who does alot of promotional work for models/music industry in general.

Well I've seen the photographers work who shot this last calendar and I must say I felt a little vomit seep into my throat. I'm mean flat, horrible composition, bad lighting you name it. There is nothing redeeming in this girls work.

My question , how would you go about turning down work for something like this without loosing the possibility of a future gig?

Should I be honest and say I would do this calendar with a different photographer OR lie and say I'm not available to do this shoot next March?

I've never been put in this predicament before and would welcome any advice.

Oct 13 05 04:23 pm Link

Photographer

Dean Johnson

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Really, if the photographer is bad enough to make you vomit you might simply be honest with the guy and politely tell him that you really don't care for the photographers work. Tell him you'd love to be in the calendar but you're not sure about the quality of the photographers work. You never know, maybe he's looking for a reason to get someone else to shoot the calendar.

Oct 13 05 05:06 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

if this is a paid gig..why would you care?...you dont have to use the calender as a reference....no one blames the model for bad images..its the photographers responsibility to create a marketable image..not yours...so do your shoot, get your green and move on...

Oct 13 05 05:10 pm Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

EyeOnYouModels wrote:
Really, if the photographer is bad enough to make you vomit you might simply be honest with the guy and politely tell him that you really don't care for the photographers work. Tell him you'd love to be in the calendar but you're not sure about the quality of the photographers work. You never know, maybe he's looking for a reason to get someone else to shoot the calendar.

This is the route I was going to take, but a friend told me I should just lie. I would rather be honest and pass on it. You do raise a good point though , maybe if I'm honest it will give him the incentive to find someone better suited for taking these pictures for his project.
Thanks.

Oct 13 05 05:16 pm Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Doug Swinskey wrote:
if this is a paid gig..why would you care?...you dont have to use the calender as a reference....no one blames the model for bad images..its the photographers responsibility to create a marketable image..not yours...so do your shoot, get your green and move on...

I won't let any hack use my face / body in their images if they don't know what the hell they are doing. It's not worth it to me monetary wise.

But, I do apprecite your insight. smile

Oct 13 05 05:22 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Envy wrote:

I won't let any hack use my face / body in their images if they don't know what the hell they are doing. It's not worth it to me monetary wise.

i see a lot of garbage images in "W" and "vouge".....the photographers are hacks..but for some reason they are famous hacks....i guess thats the difference...

Oct 13 05 05:27 pm Link

Photographer

JMedkeff

Anchorage, Alaska, US

Turn it down by saying,

"Thank you very much for thinking of me for this project. This is the sort of work that interests me, and I really appreciate your consideration. Unfortunately, I'm afraid I have to turn down this particular opportunity, but I'd be open to future proposals."

I would advise you to give your reasons for turning down the gig only if asked. I have two reasons, both based on my own experiences.

First reason: Almost every production I'm shooting hires the second- or third-choice model. This is probably usually due to schedule conflicts, exclusivity agreements, and model reluctance to depict in the medical field; but sometimes it may also be due to the model's sister having a baby, an accidental sunburn, or whatever. Point being, if I had to sit through explanations every time the first or second string model turned down the job, I'd waste a heck of a lot of time. If I'm interested, I'll ask; but otherwise, I'd much rather hear 'sorry, not interested, thanks for considering me' than a lengthy explanation. And trust me, you can't tell a publisher that their already-hired photographer sucks without following up with a lengthy explanation of why. Speaking of which:

Second reason: If I'm managing the production, the model's opinion on the photographer's competence, the competence of the MUA or stylist, the suitability of the location, the brilliance of the art director's concept, the shooting schedule, or myriad other production issues is totally irrelevant. It is simply outside the scope of the model's job to be concerned with these things; that's not what the model is hired for. Also, it is extremely unlikely the model has a qualified opinion on any of these topics. It is the client who has a legitimate interest in all these items, and that's the voice I will hear and jump to. If the opinions of others become important to me, I'll ask. Before that time, unqualified production employees sticking their nose into business that isn't theirs is an unwelcome distraction and waste of time.

Harsh? Sorry. That's just how it works, it isn't meant to be.

All this written from a commercial perspective; I don't do calendars that I know of.

Oct 13 05 09:45 pm Link

Photographer

megafunk

Los Angeles, California, US

SGS wrote:
Turn it down by saying,

"Thank you very much for thinking of me for this project. This is the sort of work that interests me, and I really appreciate your consideration. Unfortunately, I'm afraid I have to turn down this particular opportunity, but I'd be open to future proposals."

...the art director's concept, the shooting schedule, or myriad other production issues is totally irrelevant. It is simply outside the scope of the model's job to be concerned with these things;

I have to agree with the entire thing. Onward to other things.

Oct 14 05 01:13 am Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

Envy...i am shocked that this presents such a dilema for you, as you have an ability to be honest without being brutal...you may wish to opt out of this invitation by saying that it is not a project you feel could bring what is needed, or that you do not feel comfortable with the project as a whole.

Oct 14 05 01:19 am Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

SGS wrote:
Turn it down by saying,

Sound advice. Thank you.

Oct 14 05 01:20 am Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

BCG wrote:
Envy...i am shocked that this presents such a dilema for you, as you have an ability to be honest without being brutal...you may wish to opt out of this invitation by saying that it is not a project you feel could bring what is needed, or that you do not feel comfortable with the project as a whole.

Well it's not so much as a dilema as this particular photographer shoots all of his work. I don't want to close any doors to future work with him, but at the same time am afraid I'll hit another dead end when I'm faced with an offer later on down the road.

I will be nice though and not tell him his girl needs something better than a disposable camera to shoot with.  smile

Oct 14 05 01:26 am Link

Photographer

Marvin Dockery

Alcoa, Tennessee, US

Envy wrote:

Well it's not so much as a dilema as this particular photographer shoots all of his work. I don't want to close any doors to future work with him, but at the same time am afraid I'll hit another dead end when I'm faced with an offer later on down the road.

I will be nice though and not tell him his girl needs something better than a disposable camera to shoot with.  smile

You might want to tell him that you are interested, if he will use another photographer, or improve the quality of the printing.  Lot of lousy printing in the calendar business. The good stuff is now done in China, or Korea.

Oct 14 05 01:30 am Link

Photographer

Studio200

Alameda, California, US

Envy wrote:

Envy...
I sometimes will shoot "models" who's face/and or look won't do justice to MY work..smile Why do I do this? Well I believe in giving back and helping out people. I know you've shot with a good friend of mine and hopefully next time you're around we can work together, but I also know you are just starting out, and well if no one gave you a break, you wouldn't have the shots! You are doing a great job, and I know everyones time is valuable but I guess I'd just throw out there that you might want to give back to the other artists (photographers) as we do for beginner models..smile

-Dennis

Oct 14 05 10:51 am Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Envy wrote:
I was approached today and asked if I would like to do a pinup calendar by a guy here who does alot of promotional work for models/music industry in general.

Well I've seen the photographers work who shot this last calendar and I must say I felt a little vomit seep into my throat. I'm mean flat, horrible composition, bad lighting you name it. There is nothing redeeming in this girls work.

My question , how would you go about turning down work for something like this without loosing the possibility of a future gig?

Should I be honest and say I would do this calendar with a different photographer OR lie and say I'm not available to do this shoot next March?

It just goes to show ya that anyone can create a photographer's profile, brag about calendar publications, blast other photographers in the forums and produce a piece of shit with no effort on quality and no emphasis on the model's beauty.

Turn the guy down and narrow your focus on photographers who can produce quality service, quality images and quality products.

Quality, quality, quality, quality, quality, quality, quality, quality, quality, quality!

Did I mention quality? big_smile

Oct 14 05 10:59 am Link

Photographer

MarkMarek

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Envy wrote:

Here's what's gonna happen if you turn him down. You will see next years calendar, this time your jaw will drop and you will hate yourself for taking an advice here.

From what you said I understand that he already did a calendar last year. Maybe once the calendar was out they were able to see (and hear from other people) what could have been done better and this year they could be prepared for it. Also, everybody wants to grow with his/her skills, one can become way better photographer in a years time. Their this year calendar could kick much ass.

JMHO

Mark

Oct 14 05 11:14 am Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Studio200 wrote:
Envy...
I sometimes will shoot "models" who's face/and or look won't do justice to MY work..smile Why do I do this? Well I believe in giving back and helping out people. I know you've shot with a good friend of mine and hopefully next time you're around we can work together, but I also know you are just starting out, and well if no one gave you a break, you wouldn't have the shots! You are doing a great job, and I know everyones time is valuable but I guess I'd just throw out there that you might want to give back to the other artists (photographers) as we do for beginner models..smile

-Dennis

I understand exactly where you are coming from, but at the same time this girl has plenty of other models to work with who are knocking down her door to be apart of this calendar. She's not hurting for material to shoot.

I'm sure alot of photographers here have worked with a model either paid or tfp who had results they didn't like. In the end they decided against posting / showing the material shot as they didn't want it reflect their abilities. I wouldn't have a real choice in the matter once I did this shoot. Horrendous images of me floating around Nashville  in a calendar would make me shudder with embarassment.

I work with alot of people who are just starting out on TFP. I know that yes they *may* end up posting bad work online for all to see or it could be the complete opposite and we may get amazing results. I'm willing to take that chance with someone I see promise with. 

This girl is not on the same page. She is quite proud of her work and see's nothing wrong with shadows , bad lighting and flat images. Too many people have given her the impression her work is "great" so she see's no real room to improve. I know this through comments she has made, not by assumptions.

Oct 14 05 11:26 am Link

Photographer

Imago

Portland, Maine, US

Envy wrote:

Unless you come up with a good lie, there is a chance that it becomes apparent that it is one. I think lying is the most sure way to destroy confidence and thus future work. I'm sure you have considered it, but would it be possible for you to get involved in the creative process and maybe guide them in the right direction? If the _only_ reason you're not doing the calendar is the photographer I would probably try to find ways to make it work. If that's not possible, just say that you are considering travel/other unspecified activity during that time frame and don't want to make any commitments at this time. And that you'll let them know if anything changes.

Oct 14 05 11:32 am Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

MarkMarek wrote:
Here's what's gonna happen if you turn him down. You will see next years calendar, this time your jaw will drop and you will hate yourself for taking an advice here.

From what you said I understand that he already did a calendar last year. Maybe once the calendar was out they were able to see (and hear from other people) what could have been done better and this year they could be prepared for it. Also, everybody wants to grow with his/her skills, one can become way better photographer in a years time. Their this year calendar could kick much ass.

JMHO

Mark

This is about as risky as having sex with hookers without a condom.
I'm not going to chance it.

I really do appreciate the insight though. smile

Oct 14 05 11:35 am Link

Model

ahmed87

Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates

Envy wrote:

Shit if its a paid event and u dont mind doing what his requirements are go ahead...
But if you just totally dont wanna do it, then try a "im too booked right now, lets try BlaBla date" (date after he wants his calendar done)

Oct 14 05 11:36 am Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

luxmosaic wrote:

Envy wrote:
If that's not possible, just say that you are considering travel/other unspecified activity during that time frame and don't want to make any commitments at this time. And that you'll let them know if anything changes.

That is an excellent idea. Thanks.

Oct 14 05 11:37 am Link

Photographer

Studio200

Alameda, California, US

Envy wrote:
I'm sure alot of photographers here have worked with a model either paid or tfp who had results they didn't like. In the end they decided against posting / showing the material shot as they didn't want it reflect their abilities. I wouldn't have a real choice in the matter once I did this shoot. Horrendous images of me floating around Nashville  in a calendar would make me shudder with embarassment.

yep..I've had models post pics of mine that I wasn't that happy with, but I'm hoping it won't come back to haunt me..smile Anyway, being a photographer is a continuum for me, I look back at last years work and its S$%$ to me (well not all of it haha). I hope that every year I feel the same..if I stop improving its time for me to quit!..smile There ARE shots I've taken out there that I kind of wish the model wouldn't use anymore, so its not just the models who might have something out there that makes them cringe. Regarding this calendar photographer I wish I could figure out who you are talking about..buts thats just my nosey nature..smile I REALLY want to see some of her work!..

Oct 14 05 01:26 pm Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Got an email address? I'll forward some of  the work to you and you can judge for yourself. I won't release her name though, if you find it great, but I don't want to name people. smile

Oct 14 05 01:45 pm Link

Model

ModelPrincess

Linthicum, Maryland, US

You are not only a model, you are a business woman. It's very important that you know your comfort zone and that you allow no one to cross your boundaries. In a very professional way, you have a meeting and you explain your feelings in this matter. Also express your desire to continue. If they respect you, I'm sure a compromise will be made, if not, you don't want to work for them anyway. If it's handled properly, they will not only respect you for it, but know that you are a strong woman who stands up for herself, and they will be happy to have someone with brains as well as looks to promote their image.

Oct 16 05 01:05 am Link