Forums > Model Colloquy > Why can anyone put up a profile????

Model

Bettina

Los Angeles, California, US

I recently took down my photos, but I had a friend create a "profile" under the guise of wanting to model...turns out he just wants to meet models...and I've had "models" contact me wanting to hang out when they are in town...yeah, guys...and not for shoots either...why isn't this site moderated more..why can anyone just put up cut and paste pics and pose as a model? Can we report these people and get them kicked off? How does that work?

Oct 13 05 06:06 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

yes you can report them and get them kicked off..isnt it nice to know that your communications are private..so you have to tell the moderators...

Oct 13 05 06:07 pm Link

Model

Bettina

Okay...I hope this doesn't sound ignorant....lol...but is Tyler the moderator?

Oct 13 05 06:08 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

There are lots of free places 'models' can post
on.  All you need are photos.
Just report those that abuse the system.
By the way nothing gets better by leaving.

Oct 13 05 06:09 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

Bettina wrote:
I recently took down my photos, but I had a friend create a "profile" under the guise of wanting to model...turns out he just wants to meet models...and I've had "models" contact me wanting to hang out when they are in town...yeah, guys...and not for shoots either...why isn't this site moderated more..why can anyone just put up cut and paste pics and pose as a model? Can we report these people and get them kicked off? How does that work?

I will actually defend the MODsters on this one.

MODS can not control what people type.They also can not control what people upload. They can however take complaints and have people removed from the site, shut down portfolios and such.
There will always be bad apples on every tree.
As a model you have to develop a thicker skin. Being hit on is the least of your worries as a model. Being a model you understand that beauty attracts attention and sometimes it will be unwanted attention. You can`t just close up shop because of that.

Oct 13 05 06:10 pm Link

Photographer

megafunk

Bettina wrote:
Okay...I hope this doesn't sound ignorant....lol...but is Tyler the moderator?

https://modelmayhem.com/faq.php
Scroll down to the lower middle. Who are the moderators?

which will lead you to: https://modelmayhem.com/modlist.php

Oct 13 05 06:12 pm Link

Model

Bettina

I just think it sucks that these fake models have profiles up and may be sexual predators. I don't mind being looked at, or even hit on....but it worries me that some people go through so much trouble in order to meet models...and it's so easy to create a profile...and to be vulgur and rejected and then just move on to the next girl and leave me feeling like I can't do anything to protect my fellow models....now I feel like I can. Being attractive shouldn't make us easy targets or make us numb to societies sickos. We shouldn't have to turn into emotionless cyborgs and loose our humanity. Thank you to the MODS who give us some power, who listen to us.....BTW, I'm not closing up shop because of that..it's more than that...it's because one of these people is a sexual predator and I had to find out the hard way....

Oct 13 05 06:20 pm Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

LAPD is hiring!

Oct 13 05 06:23 pm Link

Body Painter

BodyPainter Rich

The problem is if you limit portfolios to ONLY those who are in the industry, then those who wish to GET into the industry are locked out. I still remember my first posts on other forums a few years back when I had NO photos. It was not an easy start, but without the NET I might never have gotten started on my bodypaintings at all!

Oct 13 05 06:26 pm Link

Model

Bettina

I understand now...*Sigh* I just want to protect other models...and photogs..and sylists..and MUA....from having to work with non-professional people who are using these sites to scam professionals, or people wanting to get into the business..(I am far from professional myself). It's not about taking away the business....it's about making it a safe place for all of us......as any work place should be...

Oct 13 05 06:32 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Bettina wrote:

Doug and other moderators of this group - I'm all for protecting the innocent, what I'd like to know is how is a profile a profile without any images?
If the idea is to post the group about a potential probelm, don't we (99.9%) of this site have the right to know who or what were answering?

I know you need at least 4 images posted to have your profile approved, but what stops you from deleting the images after you get the thumbs up or to sneak around and create false profiles?

Do you feel as dupped as I do?

Oct 13 05 06:33 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

C R Photography wrote:
LAPD is hiring!

Don't they at least have a photo of the cop?

Oct 13 05 06:34 pm Link

Model

Bettina

I'll put my images back up soon. I hope I don't put anyone off by my actions...this move is very personal to me...I just can't stand anyone looking at me...even my images after what was done to me.

Oct 13 05 06:36 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Bettina wrote:
I just think it sucks that these fake models have profiles up and may be sexual predators. I don't mind being looked at, or even hit on....but it worries me that some people go through so much trouble in order to meet models...and it's so easy to create a profile...and to be vulgur and rejected and then just move on to the next girl and leave me feeling like I can't do anything to protect my fellow models....now I feel like I can. Being attractive shouldn't make us easy targets or make us numb to societies sickos. We shouldn't have to turn into emotionless cyborgs and loose our humanity. Thank you to the MODS who give us some power, who listen to us.....BTW, I'm not closing up shop because of that..it's more than that...it's because one of these people is a sexual predator and I had to find out the hard way....

I still would not quit because of him. If photographers quit because of bad models there would not be many of us around.

Oct 13 05 06:37 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Bettina wrote:
I understand now...*Sigh* I just want to protect other models...and photogs..and sylists..and MUA....from having to work with non-professional people who are using these sites to scam professionals, or people wanting to get into the business..(I am far from professional myself). It's not about taking away the business....it's about making it a safe place for all of us......as any work place should be...

Mamma hen-ism will only make you go batty.

Oct 13 05 06:39 pm Link

Model

Bettina

*Sigh* Thanks....you're right....I know.....I know...= )

Oct 13 05 06:39 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Bettina wrote:

As an adult, I’m responsible for ALL the choices I make, good or bad, their mine.

I have this thing called a network, with that we can inform others of bad photographer and bad models or bad stylist.

I for one don’t want or need anyone one to create a dummy profile to lure the predators into for my protection.

Thanks, but I’d rather you ask me up front next time you try and protect me. I think that’s kind of scary in it’s self.

Oct 13 05 06:40 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Bettina wrote:
I'll put my images back up soon. I hope I don't put anyone off by my actions...this move is very personal to me...I just can't stand anyone looking at me...even my images after what was done to me.

Just a few minutes ago you said you do not mind people looking at you or hitting on you. Now you say you do?

Oct 13 05 06:40 pm Link

Model

Bettina

Oct 13 05 06:41 pm Link

Model

Lady Bronze

Bettina wrote:
.....BTW, I'm not closing up shop because of that..it's more than that...it's because one of these people is a sexual predator and I had to find out the hard way....

Thats horrible..but in the future, ALWAYS remember that you should have a team with you..an MUA, wardrobe, whatever..and let a friend know where you are at all times.

Have I been offered exotic vacations to shoot and loads of money to fly to a far off paradise? Sure..but if I dont know anyone there..and they are shooting solo..its a NO GO.

Your safety comes BEFORE money..before exotic trips..a phtographer can see potential and pay the bucks to fly you out..sure..but who says felons dont have money too?

remember this is the internet!

As long as you work with the principle mind before money..and take all measures to be safe, there should be no reason to shy away from an otherwise wonderful community like MM.

Oct 13 05 06:47 pm Link

Model

Bettina

I really appreciate all the advice and support....thank you all...It's good to know there is such a good, strong community out there. I have had the privelege of working with some outstanding professionals, and hope to work with more....I'm not letting this get me totally down...not yet....I'll be back up soon...and hope to work with some of you that have all this down..and aren't as naive as I have been. I hope to pass on some of my knowledge in the future too...what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger, right?

Oct 13 05 06:56 pm Link

Model

Bettina

BTW...this isn't a dummy profile to lure predators into....that's sad....I think it's sad we all have to live in such fear...I'm really saddened by this whole thread at this point....

Oct 13 05 07:00 pm Link

Model

Lady Bronze

Bettina wrote:
I really appreciate all the advice and support....thank you all...It's good to know there is such a good, strong community out there. I have had the privelege of working with some outstanding professionals, and hope to work with more....I'm not letting this get me totally down...not yet....I'll be back up soon...and hope to work with some of you that have all this down..and aren't as naive as I have been. I hope to pass on some of my knowledge in the future too...what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger, right?

u're welcome. Dont get too down on yourself. Your human, you made an error in judgement. Just dont repeat it..and dont EVER let anyone stop you from doing the activities you enjoy. No one has that power.

Oct 13 05 07:00 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Bettina wrote:
....I'm not letting this get me totally down...not yet....

Don`t let it at all, ever. Put your photographs back up and get back to things. You know the old saying about falling off the horse. It applies here,too. Don`t let the bad apple win like you are now.

Oct 13 05 07:04 pm Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

Well, Bettina, if you wanna forward the offending individuals, then you can. However, you need to have at least 4 photos up before your profile can be active.

Oct 13 05 07:09 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Bettina wrote:
BTW...this isn't a dummy profile to lure predators into....that's sad....I think it's sad we all have to live in such fear...I'm really saddened by this whole thread at this point....

Bettina wrote:
I recently took down my photos, but I had a friend create a "profile" under the guise of wanting to model...turns out he just wants to meet models...

Craig Thomson wrote:
I for one don’t want or need anyone one to create a dummy profile to lure the predators into for my protection.

Did you read what I said?

Oct 13 05 07:12 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

When we review brand new profiles, they have to have at least 4 different photos (among other things) to get approved. 

If someone deletes all of their photos after they've been approved, well... I don't know about you guys, but I am certainly not psychic!  I won't know until I notice the "NO PIC" above their name on a forum post, annoucements board, or random profile section.

As far as inappropriate contact goes, please cut & paste the entire message to a moderator.  (NO EDITING.)  We can't just go off of he-said-she-said sort of stuff when it comes to potentially closing people's profiles down, so don't delete those.  We need to see.  I believe people get warned, and if the behavior proves to be habitual, booted.

Oct 13 05 07:20 pm Link

Photographer

Marvin Dockery

Alcoa, Tennessee, US

Bettina wrote:

Most people have to post a personal paid ad in the newspaper to find a sexual predator these days. They are getting hard to find smile

Oct 13 05 08:11 pm Link