Forums > Model Colloquy > Models: Male vs. Female ???

Model

Angelus

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I'm just really curious.
In 11 years of doing this11, the one thing I can never seem to figure is....

The majority of female models are either married, engage or involved.
(Usually the one's who are more established or experienced.)

The majority of male models are single. Hell I've even
ran into divorced male models. (I find that usually if they're in a relationship the are relatively new to the business or not a  heavily involved. Or they are involved but with another model.)

So, the question I pose to you all. (including photographers.)
1) Why are majority men in this industry usually single?
a. Trust? (both ways)
b. Time
c. Perspective from the outside world
d. Status?
e. Amount and type of work you get?
f. Can't settle down?
g. Can't find the right person?
h. None of the above: give answer

2) For women in the industry who are engaged or married at a young age:
a. Are you really in love and happy?
b. Do you tend to have trust issues?
c. What provoked you to get married?
d. Does being married affect your career? From both your spouse and the clients/ photogs seeking to hire you.
e. Do you ever feel you're missing something?
f. Add any reasoyou cat ink of here.

And, if you are the opposite of these opionions I want to hear from you and how you feel about your personal life. So feel free to chime in.

_ signed
  The Soup Nazi

Oct 16 05 11:09 pm Link

Model

-Katie-

Halifax, Massachusetts, US

To answer the first part... why I personally believe that most men in this industry are usually single (and I hate to say this... I hope someone else agrees) is that some guys but certainly NOT ALL definitely love the attention. Being single allows them to get that attention (guilt-free) from women much more so than they would if they were either dating/engaged/married. I can see some guys as thinking that being single also allows them to "enjoy" themselves by not being tied down with one woman. And actually if that's the case... it's not such a bad thing. I'd rather see them single and not cheating on someone else. (Like I said... this doesn't include every male model... it's not fair to generalize)

But from a personal standpoint, as a model dating a male model, I think it's a lot easier. It's sort of like famous actors dating famous actresses because they "understand" the business. When models date/marry each other, although there may be trust issues that come up, I can't see it being as bad as being married/dating someone who's never modeled. I have a hard enough time explaining what I do to my own father without him sounding overly concerned, so by being with someone who knows what this is all about, it's just that much easier.

Oct 16 05 11:29 pm Link

Photographer

ProShotPhoto

Bellingham, Massachusetts, US

The answer is simple

In this business marrying for money is a nessesity HE HE

Women seldom marry men who are not financially successful and male models seldom are what woppmen are looking for.

Men on the otherhand will marry a woman who has no money and being beautiful makes it acceptable to have no money - or at least is eems to be overlooked more easily.   smile:smilesmilesmilesmile.

Oct 16 05 11:50 pm Link

Model

Sascha

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

ProShotPhoto wrote:
The answer is simple

In this business marrying for money is a nessesity HE HE

Women seldom marry men who are not financially successful and male models seldom are what woppmen are looking for.

Men on the otherhand will marry a woman who has no money and being beautiful makes it acceptable to have no money - or at least is eems to be overlooked more easily.   smile:smilesmilesmilesmile.

I don't think that's always the case... I am married to a guy that is just starting out in his career because I believe in him and I am also confident that I can polish him into a money-making, proud man tongue  But anyway... how bout nature's calling?

Women can only be pregnant one at a time, and once pregnant, is stuck with pregnancy for months.  Men, on the otherhand, don't get pregnant.  they could technically fertilize as many women as they intend to.  It's just the way sexes are built, I'd say wink  We like finding "the" guy we can invest our time and attention in, and guys like hunting down as many chicks as possible.

Oct 17 05 12:41 am Link

Model

Angelus

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Thank you guys all for these points of view... Very insightful.

Now, let's add to the equation....
He's not a player. He wants a woman and to settle down with.
The monagamous male model, the 'one woman' type. Why aren't women picking him?

How are we as male models viewed by the female populous? 
Are we a desired choice of women?

Do you feel most men marry a model for the 'right' reasons?
Or was it for the looks and bragging rights?

I expect varying answers to these. I want both sexes to give their opinions on each side.

Oct 17 05 01:10 am Link

Model

Angelus

Atlanta, Georgia, US

-Katie- wrote:
But from a personal standpoint, as a model dating a male model, I think it's a lot easier. It's sort of like famous actors dating famous actresses because they "understand" the business.

Katie, I'glad you wrote that because it's actually true. But, also, (just as with actors) Do you think this type relationship will last in most cases? Due to the most common big problem: So much attention. And, number two problem being: scheduling. If both are always on assingment and NOT working togethe; does that create a drift? And, eventually decay?

Or do you think most relationships of this type are stronger than that?

Oct 17 05 01:20 am Link

Model

-Katie-

Halifax, Massachusetts, US

It's really hard to say which relationships will last and which ones won't even if both partners are models because everyone is different. The attention issue does make things more difficult, especially if one or both partners has jealousy issues. But the same could really be said for anyone with an attractive spouse who may not even be a model technically.

Scheduling is also tough on any relationship, even if it's not modeling but just traveling away on business and being away from your partner. Sometimes that can be enough to ruin any kind of relationship, but I think ultimately it depends on the individual couple. At least I'd like to think so!

Oct 17 05 10:03 am Link

Model

Angelus

Atlanta, Georgia, US

-Katie- wrote:
I think ultimately it depends on the individual couple. At least I'd like to think so!

I honestly agree with you.
It's up o the individual couple to make it work.

Oct 17 05 05:31 pm Link

Model

Curtis Ray

For me its because i don't like to be tied down by one girl... i like to explore what there is smile .. this is also because i am young

Oct 17 05 10:55 pm Link

Model

spyro2122

Orlando, Florida, US

I know male models who are engaged

Oct 17 05 11:25 pm Link

Model

Leeinda

Guntersville, Alabama, US

I have a lot of views on this..lol I am amrried and have been so for 3 years. I am happy and dont regret getting married at all. But there are sometimes a jealousy issue. But we can get through that.

I think some guy models really are not single..they just say they are b/c they are cheating on their wife/girlfriend with other models or whomever. I have ran into this personally.

~Lee

Oct 18 05 10:24 am Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

Is this really a discussion?

Why are the good looking guys almost always taken? ANd why don't they check out the average girl?

Whya re the gorgeous girls always going on about how they can't find a good guy?

It's not a modeling thing, folks, it's a real people thing too. Non-models get divorced or stay single for the same reasons.

Relationships are hard work and some people are not mature enough for that.

Oct 18 05 10:26 am Link

Photographer

Paul Ward

New York, New York, US

Curtis Ray wrote:
For me its because i don't like to be tied down by one girl... i like to explore what there is smile .. this is also because i am young

can't get any more honest than that smile

Oct 18 05 01:51 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Ward

New York, New York, US

DawnElizabeth Moderator wrote:
Is this really a discussion?

Why are the good looking guys almost always taken? ANd why don't they check out the average girl?

Whya re the gorgeous girls always going on about how they can't find a good guy?

It's not a modeling thing, folks, it's a real people thing too. Non-models get divorced or stay single for the same reasons.

Relationships are hard work and some people are not mature enough for that.

why can't the ugly photographers get the average girl? XD

seriously though, i do agree with you in that it's not an industry related thing specifically, though the industry can add to the strain on a relationship for many of the reasons other posters have stated.

Oct 18 05 01:53 pm Link

Model

Angelus

Atlanta, Georgia, US

You actually have the question mixed up backwards.

This specific to the industry, not trying to look out side the industry.

It's not why ard thr good-looking men take, or women can't find a decent guy.

The questions are....
Why are most ,ale models single..(including guys who want a monogamous relationship)

And, why are so many female models already married and did the guy marry them (in general) for the right reasons.

Outside of modeling the opposite tends to be true.

Try this one. A good looking guy non-model is usualy taken.
A male model usually isn't (not from lack of trying and is the type to be faithful.)
WHY??

A good-looking woman
non-model claims she can't find a decent man (although I share views to contrsdict)
A model most times is in an established relationship, engaged or married.
WHY??

This is industry specific.

Oct 18 05 02:14 pm Link

Model

Susi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I find many regular guys intrigued by the idea of dating a model and performer such as I...but when they understand the reality they can't handle it.  I think alot of guys who aren't in the limelight are frankly intimidated by the attention a girl gets who is.  And it's a novelty to date a model/performer...it wear off once they realize that 75% of the time I am actually pretty dull...lol.  I think it's harder for a girl in this business to have a relationship...I've heard this from other models and burlesque performers so I know it's not uncommon!

Oct 18 05 02:19 pm Link

Model

SHAWN ANTONIA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

all the above...lol

Nov 05 05 11:32 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Crazy Benny

Rochester, New York, US

Angelus wrote:
So, the question I pose to you all. (including photographers.)
a. Trust? (both ways)
b. Time
c. Perspective from the outside world
d. Status?
e. Amount and type of work you get?
f. Can't settle down?
g. Can't find the right person?
h. None of the above: give answer

_ signed
  The Soup Nazi

I can only answer for myself, all the girls that I have ever dated broke up with me by saying "you are too much to handle" and "why don't you ever scream at me" oh and "stop being so damm nice" also "stop saying ok"

Nov 08 05 09:28 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Crazy Benny

Rochester, New York, US

Angelus wrote:
How are we as male models viewed by the female populous?

some women feel that they are unapproachable, I have been told that by some female models that I shot with, me unapproachable? I find that a load of bs, I am fun and down to earth smile

Nov 08 05 09:36 am Link

Photographer

Wicked Reflections

Angelus wrote:
Try this one. A good looking guy non-model is usualy taken.
A male model usually isn't (not from lack of trying and is the type to be faithful.)
WHY??

Ok, even those these will be gross over-generalizations I'll give it a go:
It is because of several perceptions of the male model - vain, self centered, shallow, or gay.

To be a sucessful male model requires time in the gym, attention to grooming, etc... All of us in the industry know this, and it's accepted as part of the job.  But as my assistant constantly tells the male models who flirt with her...look, you're hot but I can't date a guy who spends more time in front of the mirror getting ready to go out than I do and all that time you have to spend on you is time you wouldn't be spending on me or us so thanks but no thanks.

Is it fair...hell no, but it's life.

Nov 08 05 09:40 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Crazy Benny

Rochester, New York, US

Wicked Reflections wrote:

It is because of several perceptions of the male model - vain, self centered, shallow, or gay.

O yea I also get the gay card played to me a lot. hmm lets see why

I'm good looking, I dress well, I can do makeup, I worked for a homosexual magazine as fashion editor and did layout for them too

Nov 08 05 09:51 am Link

Model

Nari

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Don't want to perpetuate any stereotypes, but all the male models (except 1) I have met *so far* are gay....so women, in general, may be assuming that male models are gay (or closeted)...so why go for him?

Nov 08 05 03:31 pm Link

Model

Benny

Brooklyn, New York, US

Nari wrote:
Don't want to perpetuate any stereotypes, but all the male models (except 1) I have met *so far* are gay....so women, in general, may be assuming that male models are gay (or closeted)...so why go for him?

Hi Nari nice to meet you, now you know 2 smile

Nov 08 05 03:33 pm Link

Model

angelavasquez

Murrieta, California, US

Im Just got engaged and Im happy. But I dont let my status be known though, Its not that Im ashamed, its just that as a model im not going to walk into an agency and be all like yeah Im enaged, you know what I mean? big_smile

Nov 08 05 03:35 pm Link

Model

Isobel Wren

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Wicked Reflections wrote:
Ok, even those these will be gross over-generalizations I'll give it a go:

To be a sucessful male model requires time in the gym, attention to grooming, etc... All of us in the industry know this, and it's accepted as part of the job.  But as my assistant constantly tells the male models who flirt with her...look, you're hot but I can't date a guy who spends more time in front of the mirror getting ready to go out than I do and all that time you have to spend on you is time you wouldn't be spending on me or us so thanks but no thanks.

Is it fair...hell no, but it's life.

I've got to say that, at least in glamour modeling, a lot of models get really puffed up heads.  It's this way w/ both male and female models.  I think that the disparity in date getting is that there are more men are willing to put up with hot stuck up females than there are women willing to put up with hot stuck up males. 

Also, in Western culture we expect women to primp and pluck and go to the gym obsessively.  A girl who spends ages on her appearance isn't blinked at, but a guy who does "must be" weird or gay or self centered.  Remember how much people made fun of "metrosexuals"?

Nov 08 05 04:25 pm Link

Photographer

Don Vaillancourt

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

Susi wrote:
I find many regular guys intrigued by the idea of dating a model and performer such as I...but when they understand the reality they can't handle it.  I think alot of guys who aren't in the limelight are frankly intimidated by the attention a girl gets who is.  And it's a novelty to date a model/performer...it wear off once they realize that 75% of the time I am actually pretty dull...lol.  I think it's harder for a girl in this business to have a relationship...I've heard this from other models and burlesque performers so I know it's not uncommon!

So why are the admins so opposed to turning this site into a dating site?  :p

We could all help the lonely models find their match.

Nov 08 05 05:32 pm Link

Photographer

Don Vaillancourt

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

angelavasquez wrote:
Im Just got engaged and Im happy. But I dont let my status be known though, Its not that Im ashamed, its just that as a model im not going to walk into an agency and be all like yeah Im enaged, you know what I mean? big_smile

It's possible that most models say they're single so that it doesn't limit the amount of work that they get.  Maybe.

Nov 08 05 05:35 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Crazy Benny

Rochester, New York, US

Isobel Wren wrote:

I've got to say that, at least in glamour modeling, a lot of models get really puffed up heads.  It's this way w/ both male and female models.  I think that the disparity in date getting is that there are more men are willing to put up with hot stuck up females than there are women willing to put up with hot stuck up males. 

Also, in Western culture we expect women to primp and pluck and go to the gym obsessively.  A girl who spends ages on her appearance isn't blinked at, but a guy who does "must be" weird or gay or self centered.  Remember how much people made fun of "metrosexuals"?

Haha now there is a new breed of men Ubersexual

Nov 08 05 05:40 pm Link