Forums > Model Colloquy > to all those who...

Model

dustin or something

New York, New York, US

actually live off of modeling.  any advice for someone who is about to make a decision like that?  im goin up to NYC later this month with my manager to go to a bunch of agencies and hopefully ill get signed.  any advice for me? 

thanks!!

Oct 18 05 01:02 pm Link

Model

spyro2122

Orlando, Florida, US

i make a living modeling too, i dont have an agent and believe me it is hard work. prepare to live out of a suit case, smile good luck out there.

Oct 18 05 01:11 pm Link

Photographer

Marvin Dockery

Alcoa, Tennessee, US

spyro2122 wrote:
i make a living modeling too, i dont have an agent and believe me it is hard work. prepare to live out of a suit case, smile good luck out there.

I think a lot of the posts bashing models, and photographers, is coming from a lack of extra money. Both hobby, and professional  photographers, do not have much left over to pay for a models time.

And starting models do not have the money to pay a good photographer to shoot their needs.  Models should check with local camera clubs, and offer to pose on model nights, for some images. Some of the photographers are pretty good in these clubs.

Oct 18 05 01:19 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

Marvin Dockery wrote:

I think a lot of the posts bashing models, and photographers, is coming from a lack of extra money. Both hobby, and professional  photographers, do not have much left over to pay for a models time.

Yes, I agree here. There are a few things to think about (and i don't know if this holds true for male  models as well)

Once you have modelled for a while (I modelled for a year TFP with the best photogs I could find), you can start offering your services to individuals who want to do figure studies...because as far as I can tell, nude modelling makes more money on the internet, and is a totaly different ballgame than fashion modelling.

Now, there are a few ways to make some sort of living modelling.
1.) work with bondage or fetish websites/ and bondage or fetish hobbyists, who are all willing to pay money

2.) Establish name recognition for yourself, and set up different jobs around the country. You get free travel, and money to travel with. If you do not do any bondage or erotic work, you are going to have to work very hard and not expect to make much money. Some models who make some money in this field do a lot of workshops led by professional photographers to teach other photogs how to do figurative work. Some websites like michelle7 and others pay some money for artistic sets...not a lot. If you do not like doing nude work, forget about making money as a fashion model on the web.

Oct 18 05 01:26 pm Link

Model

dustin or something

New York, New York, US

well im not doing just online modeling.  ill be going to agencies such as NEXT, DNA, Reich, and some others that my manager has set up.  they do more than just online.  im basically looking to just make a couple dollars when i end up moving up there to NYC.  im sure ill have to get another job as a waiter or bartender or something. 

just curious as to who is actually living off of their modeling and if they had any advice for someone who is considering making that move.

Oct 18 05 01:31 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

mydividedunity wrote:
well im not doing just online modeling.  ill be going to agencies such as NEXT, DNA, Reich, and some others that my manager has set up.  they do more than just online.  im basically looking to just make a couple dollars when i end up moving up there to NYC.  im sure ill have to get another job as a waiter or bartender or something. 

just curious as to who is actually living off of their modeling and if they had any advice for someone who is considering making that move.

I know nothing about fashion or land-based modelling. I am just saying that is how I make money and survive off of modelling.

Oct 18 05 01:32 pm Link

Model

dustin or something

New York, New York, US

Marvin Dockery wrote:

And starting models do not have the money to pay a good photographer to shoot their needs.  Models should check with local camera clubs, and offer to pose on model nights, for some images. Some of the photographers are pretty good in these clubs.

im not a starting model.  ive have a good amount of experience and consider myself very experienced as do the photographers that i have worked with. 

but that is a good idea for those who are just starting out!

Oct 18 05 01:33 pm Link

Photographer

Nicholson Photography

Columbus, Georgia, US

modeling and photography are a full time job. its what you make of it, so if you want to work 5 hours a week then your going to get not a lot of money. but, if your out there busting your ass finding jobs, having people find you jobs then its really not an issue about making a living from it.

Oct 18 05 01:35 pm Link

Model

dustin or something

New York, New York, US

Nicholson Photography wrote:
modeling and photography are a full time job. its what you make of it, so if you want to work 5 hours a week then your going to get not a lot of money. but, if your out there busting your ass finding jobs, having people find you jobs then its really not an issue about making a living from it.

you make a point, but there are alot of people who bust their ass and try to make it but dont.  you know what i mean?  i will be doing my modeling/acting/music full time when i move up there.  i will probably have to get night job or something so i can pay the rent until ive reached a certain level.  thats at least what ive heard...

Oct 18 05 01:39 pm Link

Model

ModelPrincess

Linthicum, Maryland, US

You are doing the best thing possible. Online modeling is really not where it's at. I think you should go for it, you'll never know until you try! But, you do know that online is limited in so many ways, so go live the dream, and let it take you as far as you can go. Never once let the no's you will get, discourage you. Even Tyra Banks got turned down many times before she got a yes! Stay determined and passionate about your goal, and you can't fail!

Oct 20 05 01:54 am Link

Model

ModelPrincess

Linthicum, Maryland, US

Also, you DO NOT need to do bondage or fetish work. If you do that you might get stuck in that, please don't, I've been doing this for 15 years, I've done nudes, yes, but never resorted to any of the other. The good agencies will think twice about you if your past work reflects that type of desperate attempt to make money. Like you said, if you must bartend, wait tables, and work your ass of for your dream, but don't sell your soul, you don't have to.

For those who do that by choice, I'm not judging, but in the modeling world it will get you nowhere but there.

Oct 20 05 02:01 am Link